CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Sianta
Level 1: Cadet

Parental controls - Netgear DEVG2020

I would like to be able to set limitations on what sites can be accessed by various devices at various times via my modem.  Ideally I want to be able to block time wasting sites (FB, YouTube etc) when children should be doing homework.  The Telstra branded Netgear Genie doesn't seem to allow this however other Netgear Genie apps seem to allow have this functionality. 

I have attempted to download Netgear Genie from the Netgear site but I get an error that there is no Internet connection (even when there is).

Is there anyway to access this functionality with my modem / DOT service?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Parental controls - Netgear DEVG2020

Blocking URLs within the modems parental controls may not always be successful as many sites now use https:// which can work around these settings. 

Alternative options may be available in the form of using Open DDNS - http://www.netgear.com/Landing/lpc.aspx

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Sianta
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your reply Shelly. I have attempted this on two different PC's and received an error message that the "router failed".  I assume that this means that the Netgear Live Parental Controls are not compatible with the Telstra branded Netgear Devg2020.

Does Telstra have any other modems which could be used with both DOT and Parental Controls?

Regards

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have you tried signing up with https://www.opendns.com/ rather than going through the Netgeas site? If you have done this, then you can configure the Netgear DEVG2020 with the Open DNS account that you have created. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now