THinkAlex
Level 2: Rookie

Setting Up VoIP for a non-Telstra phone

Dear Telstra,

we have on of the best VoIP phones on the current market for small businesses.
(As I know from many Telstra Support phone calls, you might not be familiar with the term VoIP. No worries, it's the same as an IP Phone, except that VoIP is the international standard name for this kind of service Smiley Wink )

It is a Gigaset DX800A including three additional handsets.

Please Telstra, do us both a favor and do not even start telling me you do not support "3rd party equipment". I'm an IT Consultant and work with international customers. Apparently, you guys are the only company in the world which make it so extremely difficult to set up a 3rd party device.

However, I DO NOT need your support with setting it up (you can be relaxed, you won't break the Telstra "don't deliver good quality service" rules). All I need is just the standard SIP / VoIP settings from your side (Authentication Names, Server addresses and so on -> basic VoIP).

Thank you!

Now for the ones who read more:

Dear Telstra, the phones you offer are very inappropriate for our small business regarding costs, attributes and quality.
Out of curiousity, I called Vodafone and Optus, acted like were a customer and asked them the exact same questions. Both times I got full support and solutions delivered in less time then I was on hold or talked with machines at Telstra.
No further words needed....

(In case some people think my text is too rude or harsh: Do not take it personally, rather see it as a reflection of my disappointment and simply the fact, that I don't understand how Telstra actually thinks that limiting the freedom of its customers suits their business moral)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Setting Up VoIP for a non-Telstra phone

elstra call the VoIP service 'Next Gen Calling' or NGC for short.

As far as I'm ware they don't give out the details (such as sip server etc) for use with 3rd-party devices to use NGC. It has to be via their pre-programmed gateways.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
THinkAlex

I had a look at their "offerings".
How shall I say it... they are divided into two parts.

The one part offers less features or a worse quality than my home phones and the other part is not worth the money they charge.

As I explained, the described Gigaset has all the features the business needs and wants for a way better price-performance ratio than any other phones offered by Telstra.

In the most western countries private households and companies can easily replace phones and connect them without the need of any technician but not here in Australia. 

Even if it were true that it is impossible to connect a phone without the "pre-programming" from Telstra, wouldn't it be considered as Customer Service to help clients using their favoured phones...

I'm well aware of Gigaset VoIP phones. I've been using MyNetFone, Maxotel, and PennyTel (before MNF bought them) for many years with a variety of devices.

However Telstra isn't a normal VoIP provider. You can use any handset you want with NGC, just as you can with a traditional PSTN service. However, just like with a traditional service, it has to be a traditional phone. You can plug any normal phone into the phone port on the modem/router, just as you would a PSTN socket.

They see it as a digital duplication/version of a PSTN socket - with all the limitations that come with that.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
THinkAlex

@Kalak, I see you understand the misery, however, as much as I value your constructive minded opinion it does not help for this situation. It actually points more into the direction that Telstra's behaviour constitutes anti-competitive behaviour under Australian Consumer Law - in effect, Telstra is forcing people to purchase Telstra hardware in order to access their services (VoIP, NBN, ADSL....)

I had a look through the contract between my client and Telstra and it's nowhere explained that my client is bound to Telstra pre-programmed equipment. He pays for services no matter what brand the equipment is, therefore my client should be able to use his expensively bought hardware.

If Telstra won't supply the VoIP (or as they call it: NGC) settings then I'll lodge a complaint with the ACCC.

Like @LordBorisIII mentioned it in his topic.

I suspect on this point we will disagree, however I'm not sure how it's anti-competitive.

It is no different to any normal Fixed Line service provided by Telstra. You aren't forced to use a Telstra handset. Any handset that would work with a normal PSTN service will work with a NGC service.

So in essence they are providing the same service as they would with PSTN, just using a different technology base to do so. 

He can still use his hardware, exactly as he would were he to be to a Telstra PSTN service. With a stand-alone VoIP provider, and using the NGC (PSTN substitute) as a fall-back service.

The service they provide in this case is technology agnostic. The fact that it would be awesome to have access to MORE than they normally provide, such as being able to use their VoIP/NGC settings in alternative device, doesn't change their obligations.

He is paying for a PSTN service (or equivalent), and getting that. If he were getting less I would certainly agree with kicking up a stink.

THinkAlex

@Kalak Thank you again for your constructive minded share.

I don't want this topic to become a discussion between you and me. However, I guess I have to explain myself. I am an IT Network Engineer and have been working as an international Consultant for almost every size of companies. I design and build up networks (including VoIP systems..) from scratch or integrate different solutions and design interfaces.

Let's get back to the topic, VoIP is not comparable with any PSTN service.

1. No, he cannot use his HW -> the desk phone might work but none of the additional handsets
  2. No, he would not have any of the features of his HW without the VoIP / SIP settings
  3. Go to http://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour and read through it... 

Last but not least, you pay the city for your water supply. Sure you can use it without a sink, the water will just run out of the pipe 24/7. Does the city demand you to buy their special designed sinks? No, you can use any sink...

My client pays for the specific VoIP service - all I want is the setting details to establish the communication between the Voice and registration servers and his office. @Kalak your messages are highly appreciated but deceptive. If you know how to escalate a topic in this forum to a higher instance, please let me know. Otherwise, I would suggest you try to help out in different topics.

THinkAlex

For the ones following this topic - New Update:

I received a call from the Telstra Relationship Management (located in Brisbane). One of his first questions "how satisfied I am with Telstra's Service" was not difficult to answer ;-)

However, after a 10 minute call we set up an appointment with the regional Telstra Account Manager. He will come to my company to "solve all issues".

Interesting, instead of simply giving me the details to set up the VoIP phone, they'll send out an account manager. They must make too much money ;-)

I'll keep you updated!

ZacharyBrewer
Level 1: Cadet

Hi THinkAlex,

You didn't happen to get those SIP details did you? =P 

I have a Yealink T46G and am currnely running 4 lines through it with other ISP's. However, I have a phone line with Tesltra since setting up my NBN service. Their hardware continues to crash, so instead of using their inferior equipment, I would like to connect my phone number to my Yealink phone. 

Hopefully hear from you soon,

Zach. 

chelo

Hello ThinkAlex 

Were you able to get the SIP settings from Telstra 

I'm upgrading to the NBN and would like to keep my current setup without using the Telstra Modem 

Thanks 

Dr_Pat

After frequent failures of the Telstra supplied Fast5355 I'm trying to setup my trusty Fritzbox 7390. Internet works fine but I need the "Telephone number for registration". Other providers freely include this information in their "how to" guides, Telstra won't supply these details. I'm happy to purchase a quality/reliable modem/router that is supported by Telstra but am currently stuck with the Fast 5355. When my Telstra contract ends, so will these problems.

Jimbo2014
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra is making a small fortune by not giving out SIP details to it's customers. If all a customer has to do is plug his PSTN phone into telstras gateway instead of the wall. TELSTRA will continue to treat it as a PSTN phone and charge the PSTN rates, where VoIP call cost next to nothing, Telstra will be making up to 500% profit on all calls. They also don't have to worry about the many FREE features VoIP brings to users, Telstra just turn them off and they will never exist.

Some of the FREE features my VoIP provider provides all can be activated or deactivated by dealing a *number or a mouse click on the cloud PAX...

Call Forward Always Activation

Call Forward Always Deactivation

Call Forward No Answer Activation

Call Forward No Answer Deactivation

Call Forward on Busy Activation

Call Forward on Busy Deactivation

Enable and Set 'Locate Me' Number 1

Deactivate 'Locate Me' Number 1

Enable and Set 'Locate Me' Number 2

Deactivate 'Locate Me' Number 2

Enable and Set 'Locate Me' Number 3

Deactivate 'Locate Me' Number 3

Do not disturb and Privacy options

Do Not Disturb Activation

Do Not Disturb Deactivation

Caller ID Blocking Activation

Caller ID Blocking Deactivation

Anonymous Call Rejection Activation

Anonymous Call Rejection Deactivation

Selective Call Rejection (Blacklist) Addition

Selective Call Rejection (Blacklist) Removal

Make a call with Caller ID visible

Make a call with Caller ID blocked

Anonymous caller screening Activation

All callers screening Activation

Call screening Deactivation

Remote callback/dial-tone options

Remote Dialtone Service Number Addition

Remote Dialtone Service Number Removal

Remote Call-back Service Number Addition

Remote Call-back Service Number Removal

Remote Access Authorisation Pin Setup

Removal of Remote Access Authorisation Pin (Trusted ANI only)

Auto Attendant options

Record your auto attendant message/menu for callers

Playback your auto attendant message/menu

Activate the auto attendant service on your line

Deactivate the auto attendant service on your line

Conferencing options

Activate conferencing for my number (turn into conference room)

Deactivate conferencing for my number

Access your own conference room

Group Pickup options

Group Pickup

Directed Group Pickup

Directed Group Pickup (with specified pickup number)

Other options

Call Waiting Activation

Call Waiting Deactivation

Call Return (Call back your last caller)

Last Number Redial

Who last called me?

Set Authorisation Pin Code

Remove Authorisation Pin Code (no digits after *37)

Program Speed Dial 8 (x can be 2-9)

Activate 2talk voicemail system

Deactivate 2talk voicemail system

Set Call Diversion Timer where 'n' is number of seconds

Feature codes during a call

Perform a 'blind' transfer to another number (if not disabled)

Perform an 'attended' transfer to another number (if not disabled)

Start/Stop a manual recording of a call (if not disabled)

Disconnect from a call

samwardill
Level 3: Gumshoe

Did you get anywhere with this? I agree with you 100%

NotShaken

Its even worse than you think,
I tried the "Nice way" to speak to relevant management but I'm afraid I have to go public with my speculations.
I believe the reason that Telstra require you to use their equipment for Voip is part of a much bigger picture. It forces you to install a "NBN" friendly modem which gives them the ability to allocate your bandwidth to someone else. Telstra supplied me with a separate NTD and a Sagemcom F@st series modem which has a phone connection on it. My testing indicates that if you plug this modem anywhere on your network, either behind firewalls on separate sub-nets, even if you disable all wifi or Air features, even if you disable all remote access, The unit blasts through all these to commandeer your connection and allocate part of it to public use.
The only reason I found this is that that they are so hopeless at setting things up that they were leeching 95% of my bandwidth, I run diagnostic software and while I might not be as qualified as yourself even a numnut like me notices this. I removed the Sagecom, replaced it with an older telstra modem which I could switch to WAN fallover and voila. 90mb/s download but no phone. Take the old modem out put in the Sagecom. I have a phone, but only 5mb/s download. I also noticed that my Mobile phone kept trying to use the Sagecom as a cellphone repeater, so who knows how many people were connecting to it. From a systems architecture standpoint this is Bad Bad Bad, I'm keeping my old modem and putting in a request to transfer my phone number to another provider. IE me and will use separate voip equipment. Provisions for this have been made in the telecommunications act. I realize that much of this is speculation, but it makes sense. I'll let you know how I go.
Is it plugged in?
Awesome11

I've been trying for three days all I get is we don't support non Telstra modems it's like talking to a brick wall

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now