CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Deedzy
Level 3: Gumshoe

TELSTRA DIGITAL BUSINESS and power outage

Answered

I signed up today for this service on the proviso that I can use a phone when the power goes off. We live in a High Bushfire Prone area and need to have a phone that works without the power.

Am I able to use an existing phone, as we do now, with the new service during blackouts?

Also will my ADSL speed improve as suggested by the salesperson?

We only get 3Mbit now due to distance from the exchange and condition of the cables in our street.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MudGuard
Accepted Solution

Re: TELSTRA DIGITAL BUSINESS and power outage

If you want the phones to still function during a power outage then you should consider buying a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

I'm not sure how Sales get away with saying it'll be a faster service. The only thing I can come up with is the upstream gets a little more of the bandwidth ( at the cost of downstream ) because the IP telephony requires it. If there's no calls in progress then the internet experience will be snappier because of that upstream rejigging.

willis
Accepted Solution

Hi Deedzy

As was previously mentioned the only way to ensure continuity of service during a power outage is using a UPS. Both your modem and your Cisco handset would need to be plugged into said UPS to ensure you can make a call.

Digital Business uses VoIP, it requires an internet connection to make a call. In the event of a power outage with no UPS you would not be able to make a call. Even if you have an old school analogue telephone as the line no longer plugs into the wall but rather the modem which is usless without power.

Hope this helps.

aswigon
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

I installed a UPS dedicated to my router / phone so that in the event of a power outage I still have communication capability with the change to Telstra Digital Business. Even a small UPS will power a router and phone for a long time as they do not draw that much power.

2 rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
MudGuard
Accepted Solution

If you want the phones to still function during a power outage then you should consider buying a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

I'm not sure how Sales get away with saying it'll be a faster service. The only thing I can come up with is the upstream gets a little more of the bandwidth ( at the cost of downstream ) because the IP telephony requires it. If there's no calls in progress then the internet experience will be snappier because of that upstream rejigging.

willis
Accepted Solution

Hi Deedzy

As was previously mentioned the only way to ensure continuity of service during a power outage is using a UPS. Both your modem and your Cisco handset would need to be plugged into said UPS to ensure you can make a call.

Digital Business uses VoIP, it requires an internet connection to make a call. In the event of a power outage with no UPS you would not be able to make a call. Even if you have an old school analogue telephone as the line no longer plugs into the wall but rather the modem which is usless without power.

Hope this helps.

AvantiPastoral
Level 1: Cadet

I'm also in a rural area. For me the speed did improve; probably because Telstra tried a few different ports at the exchange to get the best working one. Previously I'd been using a different ISP for whom the Telstra technicians wouldn't have bothered. Went from 6-8mB to 11-13mB.

As to power outages, there is no back-up to Digital Business (aka DOT) other than to retain a cell phone and have your DOT main number autotransfer to that cell phone on number unobtainable. It'll be the same problem with the NBN if, like me your in the 7% which relies on fixed wireless or satellite.

Support Team
Support Team

G'day Deezy, 

I'd suggest to keep your standard landline running if that is the scenario for your area & you want to be able to use phone in an emergency. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

aswigon
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

I installed a UPS dedicated to my router / phone so that in the event of a power outage I still have communication capability with the change to Telstra Digital Business. Even a small UPS will power a router and phone for a long time as they do not draw that much power.

2 rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Deedzy

Thanks aswigon I think I'll keep the existing service for now.

AvantiPastoral
Level 1: Cadet

Of course it's interesting that this thread started on the day of a near-nationwide outage of DOT which isn't something Telstra has been advertising or acknowledging. Whereas in the past, a POT (plain old telephone) might suffer an outage because of a wire was cut or damaged or maybe an exchange fault, these new VOIP systems appear vulnerable to much more generalised / system wide faults. As we all move toward a virtual future (NBN will effectively be a VOIP world), who knows how much redundancy the customer will have to organise for him or herself?

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now