Highlighted
BigCheese36
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Pro

I am thinking of moving from Biz Essentials ADSL2+ & PSTN Line to DOT Internet + VOIP Line when NBN FTTN becomes available for us later in Feb 17.  It comes with a Telstra Gateway Pro ("TGP") Modem/Router and I want to be sure that this is going to work for us befpre I order it - we currently use a Billion router and it is mega-stable (DSL connection has never dropped out in the 3 or so years we have had it).  I have 2 specific questions:

1. Is there anyone out there that has actually used the TGP and can give some feedback on its reliability/stability, ie. does the ADSL2/VDSL2 ever drop out, does the WiFi ever drop out, how often have you had to reboot it to get it working again?

2. Has anyone out there ever used a CAT-IQ 2.0 phone directly with the TGP that is not on the (brief) list of compatible phones provided by Telstra?  Is there some reason why all CAT-IQ 2.0 certified phones will not work with the TGP?  Specifically the handsets that I want to use with it are Gigset SL450HX.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Rockets84
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra Gateway Pro

We recently cutover from ADSL2 to NBN FTTP. We are using the TGP. We didn't want to use it but we couldn't get our phones to work with out it.

We've had to reboot the TGP at least three times for dropping it's port forwards to our server. This is a known issue that was supposed to have been fixed in the latest firmware. The interface is slow & on more than one occasion I've had to reboot it just to get the web interace to work properly. We have 4 phone lines so we were supplied with a Cisco SPA8000 which provides the phone connections and not the TGP so I'm going to start investigating removing the TGP to get something more stable. I think I know where we went wrong with trying to get the SPA8000 to work behind our Cisco router that has been rock solid.

The other thing that is the TGP is providing our PC's with IPv6 addresses and a IPv6 DNS server address of itself which is causing problems with our computers connecting to our Exchange server.

It's a garbage device and far from being a device fit for purpose to suit small businesses like us. I wouldn't even use it at home.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I did try to configure our test DOT service with a BYO router and using the Telstra Gateway Pro only for the phone services.  The following is the result of the test but please note that this was done as an experiment to see if it would work. I make no guarantee that this will be suitable for your service and it is not recommended or supported by Telstra Tech Support teams. 

If you do decide to give it a try, please post with an update on how it went as it may help other users wanting to do the same thing.

Start with the phones and Telstra supplied modem set up in the standard configuration and make sure that all of the phones are working. 

DOT services only - Within the V7610 modem interface I enabled 'Use Wan Uplink Mode and set 'Does your Internet connection require a login?' to No. 

Connect the BYO gateway to your service and make sure that you have access to the internet. Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the red WAN port on the Telstra supplied modem into any of the LAN ports on your BYO gateway.  Disable the Wi-Fi networks on the Telstra supplied modem.

If you want to try this configuration, there are some points to note:

- This is not suitable for DOT services on ADSL due to network level QoS requirements.

- Services on NBN will need to adjust the QoS within the BYO router to prioritise voice traffic.

- If the modem or phones need to be returned to factory defaults for any reason, you will need to connect the Telstra supplied modem in the standard configuration before reconnecting through your BYO router.

If support from Telstra is required, it is essential that the equipment is returned to the standard configuration.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

beforboat2

We had NBN installed earlier this month on the DOT Business Plan with the TPG and have contacted telstra on two occasions so far in relation to drop out of service.  We had doubts about the router and its ability to deliver the service when we were discussing the change over to NBN and we refused to accept the router - advising we would byo router.  However, if we wanted the phone to work we had to accept the router (fortunatley, we were not charged for it).   I believe this is a restriction on the DOT plan - I am not 100% sure but we are investigating other plans so we can consider changing at the end of our contract.

After reading the comment below that the telstra router must be in its standard configuration before we can talk to telstra - i am convinced attempting to use the telstra router for our purposes which requires configuration of fixed ip addresses, port forwarding and custom services is a waist of time as telstra will not support that.  We will also install a byo modem as per below and configure it to our needs.  Perhaps that will solve our drop out problem.

We are also expreiencing the issue with the web interface requiring a reboot on several occasions.  The idea of remote management is that you administer the router from a remote location.  Very difficult to reboot a router when you are off-site and frustrating given the router is working fine it just can not be administered. (an issue i am currently facing hence here on the forum.

As for the phone we are using the same phone we used prior to NBN installation with no problems- except I plugged it into the px0 port and it needed to be in the px1 port.

BigCheese36

Really appreciate the feedback on experiences with the Telstra Gateway Pro.  For me, a DOT service with this device is definitely off the table.  We have a pretty simple set up and just want a stable internet connection and a single phone with a couple of handsets.  If I have to power off/on a modem more than 2-3 times per year then that device/service is not for me.  We use DECT/CAT-iq 2.0  handsets and are really attaracted to using a modem/router that has DECT base station capability built in because this eliminates 1 extra bit of gear (the phone base station) from a reliability and AC-power continuity perspective.  I am trying to find out from the Telstra Business Sales guy I previously spoke to what other options Telstra have where I can BYO my own modem/router, eg. a Fritz!box 7490, and move to FTTN, ideally still getting the phone line from Telstra.

Thanks again to you guys for your responses, really appreciated.

MartyShoalhaven

Shellock,

Do you know if the BYO modem's DNS settings have to be pointing to Telstra shown at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/manage/more-information-about-ip-addresses-and... ?

I've had success getting an internet connection behind our BYO modem/router with the v7610 in Wan uplink mode but couldn't the phone services to authenticate even with some restarts and waiting. We were getting an engaged signal in phone the phone. Wifi is off and tried with dhcp on and off.

I put the internet connection straight back into the v7610's Wan port and after a few minutes the phones clicks back on.

I didn't think of or get a chance to try Telstra DNS settings.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Try having the v7610 behind the BYO modem instead of the other way around.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

MartyShoalhaven

Shelly,

The voice service works when the v7610 is infront of BYO modem. But the voice service doesn't work when the v7610 is behind the BYO modem.

Wan uplink mode is on and wifi turned off.

Do you have any extra hints?

Cheers Marty.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Did you also set Does your Internet connection require a login to No? and adjust the QoS settings on your BYO modem? 

Also, can you confirm the type of connection and handsets that you are using? 

- Shelly

MartyShoalhaven

For anyone struggling with this, I was able to replace the Telstra DOT V7610 modem/router and I have had it running for a few days.

I bridged a new Draytec Vigor 130 for vsld2/fftn into an existing Unifi Security Gateway USG-Pro-4 router/firewall using the dhcp mode which picked up Telstra's IPOE.

Vigor setup details are here:
http://www.i-helpdesk.com.au/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/679/51/how-to-conn...

I did not need to enter Telstra credentials anywhere in the 130 or USG because of the IPOE/DHCP.

To finally get the Telstra V7610 only running voice services behind the USG I had to do a factory reset. I kept everything factory default, let it connect directly to the internet and update for about 10 mins. Turned off WIFi, then I entered my voices credentials, then turned off the dhcp server and selected 'Wan uplink mode' all on the v7610. I changed the connection the the USG and I let it connect then I plugged a cat cable from my switch to the red Wan port on the v7610 and "click" the voice services were working behind.

I haven't had an issue with QoS yet but I"m monitoring this one.

Following Shelley's details aboved worked but you should try with the v7610 as default as you can.

I was told by a friend who does Telstra DOT installs that the V7610 needs time in DHCP mode to bring the voice service details across before changing it to Wan uplink mode. He also said in the past if something had happen to the service on Telstra's side eg. The voice services server needs maintenance/restart... then voice would drop out on our client side and the v7610 needed to be placed back into DHCP mode, out of Lan uplink mode and plugged directly into the into internet connection to be ready authenticated. Which can't be tested by pulling out the internet connection on our side you just need to wait for the day you have your site's voice service drop out but still have the internet connection. He said this might of been fixed as he hasn't had any callouts in a while for this issue. It all sounds like a nightmare.

I think the work around above is better than spending more days on the phone trying to get out of contract even knowing we were mislead by sales into thinking everything would work on a BYO modem. I know of businesses that are getting seperate internet and services voice services on fftn going down the Telstra Business Broadband with NBN route but you need to have the right sales person who know's about it. It's going to cost more money but then voice and internet are seperate. The problem is if you are reading the thread it's already too late.

My perception of Telstra has totally changed because of DOT and the v7610 after about 10 years of having about 10-20 services with them and hardly any problems. DOT is sold as NBN with no mention of having to use the v7610 if you want voice service.

Anyway all working at the moment.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now