Highlighted
nayla1
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra gateway (Netgear V7610) freezes and drops connection

Hello,

I have a DOT NBN service with a telstra gateway pro(netgear V7610), with only the NBN service (no phone).

However, almost daily we've had to restart the gateway because it would drop internet connection. 
The reaosn is that it seems to 'freeze up'; all the lights on the front are blue, but the web interface doesnt connect, and the wifi doesnt work. No data is going in or out of the gateway when its in this state; its 'frozen'.

I've replaced the gateway with a new telstra gateway pro but now this ones doing the same even with updated firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem has been plagueing us since we first transferred over to NBN.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra gateway (Netgear V7610) freezes and drops connection

Hi nayla1

If you are not able to access the modem interface when the connection either through Ethernet or WiFi stops working then it may be worth having tech support look into a new replacement modem even though it is weird to have 2 modems with the same problem. A network based connection issue should not be causing the modem to lock up like you describe.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Myles510

Hi my business connection is having the same issue. We have tried to modems. Both upgraded to the new firmware. Drops out 6 times a day. Sometimes while talking to customers. In the 3 weeks since it has been installed it has drop out everyday. Telstra supports advises us it's the NBN box. NBN advises us it's the modem. If we rest the modem it works for a short period. Sometimes 1 sometimes 2 hours. I think it's the modem. Cannot get a clear answer. Can't get a confirmed date when the NBN will fix the box. Can't get confirmation if we will get yet another modem. It's been a nightmare.

I am sure this is happening to more people.
Admin2108

Yes I've been having exactly the same issues. FTTB NBN connection.Original modem replaced recently with current firmware by Telstra tech. Also confirmed  that DSL line was AOK. The new router still drops connection and then freezes crippling LAN side in addition to WAN connection.. Has to be physically rebooted. In my humble opnion the Telstra firmware is the problem.

Our installation site is often unattended so having a modem that is incapable of restablishing a lost connection automatically is impossible. It also appears that the WiFi failover requires user intervention to complete satisfactorily.

In our situation we need an enterprise quality solution where we can resolve any problems promptly and also have backup hardware on hand. It was annoying to find that there had been updated firmware releases for the Gateway Pro and nobody at Telstra could explain how to access these other than having a Telstra Tech attend the premises and reflash the modem. Something that takes 5 minutes. In 10 years of using ADSL with our own equipment we made no service calls whatsoever to Telstra.

Swapped out the Gateway Pro for a Billion VDSL capable modem. No dropped connections - or at least if there have been has reconnected seamlessly so transparent to the user,

Paul_MQIS

I have seen a suggestion that changing the wireless channel from auto to specific number improves stability in these modems  

Wizzard_of_Oz
Level 2: Rookie

I am having the same problems...on FTTN... WIFI stops working and then I can't connect to the modem via the wired network.  I have had the modem for week now and this behaviour started yesterday... modem needs a cold boot to get it going again.

Tried setting 2.4 Ghz to channel 11 (as someone claimed this fixed their problem) from auto and this does not seem to have made any difference... This is really starting to annoy me as every other modem I have had just sits in the corner and works, and works.... 

the firmware is 2.2.1.22

I have yet to have A DOT person come to connect our phone which has been diverted to my mobile for a week... maybe when they turn up on monday I wont let them leave until i get a fix to this stupid annoying problem... reaing whirlpool it seems i am not alone

Can I get my DOT phone on a Cisco SPA112???  If so I will connect my netgear D7000 which should work.

Wizzard_of_Oz
Level 2: Rookie

Phone connected modem still has a brain freeze about once per day.. this is drvingin me nuts

@Wizzard_of_Oz wrote:

I am having the same problems...on FTTN... WIFI stops working and then I can't connect to the modem via the wired network.  I have had the modem for week now and this behaviour started yesterday... modem needs a cold boot to get it going again.

Tried setting 2.4 Ghz to channel 11 (as someone claimed this fixed their problem) from auto and this does not seem to have made any difference... This is really starting to annoy me as every other modem I have had just sits in the corner and works, and works.... 

the firmware is 2.2.1.22

I have yet to have A DOT person come to connect our phone which has been diverted to my mobile for a week... maybe when they turn up on monday I wont let them leave until i get a fix to this stupid annoying problem... reaing whirlpool it seems i am not alone

Can I get my DOT phone on a Cisco SPA112???  If so I will connect my netgear D7000 which should work.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now