Highlighted
csirac2
Level 1: Cadet

Unreliable SPA504G operation with Cisco RV220W router

Hi there,

I've tried 132 000 and after a few days of 45 minute waits I finally got through yesterday, and the support desk person was supportive but in the end I had trouble explaining our setup. We tried a rebuild, rebooting the modems and phone, but this morning our Cisco desk phone still won't ring...

The story:

• Netgear DEVG2020, plus analogue handsets on its FXO port, plus Cisco SPA504G desk phone - all supplied with our Telstra DOT installation - was working fine.
  • But it has an incredibly weak VPN capability. It doesn't seem possible to configure per-device certificate-based authentication. The IPSec modes it does support are so weak, our Linux VPN clients refuse to connect to it.
  • Seeing Cisco SRP527W as a supported option, we tried to order one through Telstra. After a few days of difficulties actioning the order request, I suggested to the sales team the problem might be that Cisco discontinued these late 2013.
  • So we purchased a Cisco RV220W on our own, along with a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL ethernet bridge. This appears to work, but...

The problem:

• The Netgear DEVG2020's ethernet WAN port is connected into a LAN port on the RV220W router. This gives us the FXO port for the analogue cordless phones. Those handsets work fine - all inbound & outbound calls always work on the analogue handsets.
  • Outbound calls on the SPA504G so far have always worked fine.
  • The SPA504G does not always ring on incoming calls. This is the main problem we have. When a call is answered on the analogue handsets, it lights up the line being in use, but that's too late... we need to be able to answer calls on that phone.
  • Sometimes the SPA504G does not always register that the analogue handsets have completed a call. It continues flashing the line is in use, when there is actually no call in progress.

I'm running out of ideas. My next step is to remove the RV220W entirey, but this time run the DEVG2020 through the Draytek ADSL bridge in case it's this piece of our setup causing issues.

Does anybody have any other ideas/experience configuring non-DEVG2020 routers to work properly with Telstra DOT?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unreliable SPA504G operation with Cisco RV220W router

HI csirac2,

I'll have one of our social media techs have a look a this for you during business hours. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

csirac2

For what it's worth I restored the DEVG2020 back to how it was (ADSL phoneline connected into it), and the Cisco RV220W WAN is now connected into the DEVG2020 LAN. The Draytek ADSL bridge is not in use at all, I simply couldn't find a way to make the DEVG2020 do PPPoE through that Draytek bridge.

This will complicate VPN configuration enormously, but we need the phones to ring...

csirac2

Ping! I'd still appreciate a phone-call. I'm basically trying to understand what would be causing a flaky Cisco phone wrt being able to dial out, but not always ringing on incoming calls (and that issue where the analogue handsets have completed a call but it still flashes away on the desk phone).

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi csirac2,

I had to ask around about this one and the results are as follows:

There is limited assistance that can be provided when including the BYO Cisco RV220W router. Telstra have offered the Cisco SG300 10 port switch [userguide: http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/download/document/business-dot-accessories-user-guide....] for DOT (Digital Office Technology) customers, so this would indicate it is possible.

As it sounds like the phone is having an issue with the voip routing through the switch or it's unable to receive the signals needed for the inbound calls.

Have you tried using a different port on the router?
Does connecting directly to the Netgear modem resolve the issue?

You may find the following videos and userguides useful: http://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/bundles/dot/support/. 

There couldbe a problem with the handset itself and if it needs to be replaced and the team on 132 000 can assist you with this.

Telstra Platinum is a paid for service that can provide assistance with BYO equipment and business customers can contact them on 1800 202 766. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your business services on your mobile with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more