CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ajbud
Level 1: Cadet

Charged $10 for an extra 1gb 4 hours prior to the end of my billing cycle

Answered
Telstra, this is disgraceful! I was charged $10 for 1gb of data 4 hours prior to the end of my billing cycle when I apparently exceeded my data limit by 72mb.
Who do I contact to get a refund as I never consented to this charge? I live chatted with some monkeys but they have no idea about anything.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Charged $10 for an extra 1gb 4 hours prior to the end of my billing cycle

Extra data is a standard part of the contract details, so you would have agreed to it and accepted it when you took out the contract. It is also clearly noted in the CIS and full customer terms, the only exception is if you are on a very old plan in which case it would have been something you would have needed to opt into and would have been agreed on at that stage.

It replaced the excess data charges which depending on the plan could have been up $2/MB, the last generation before they added extra data was $0.03/MB or $30/GB so this was 1/3 the cost on a 1GB amount.

While calling staff 'monkeys' is obviously a great way to get the support team on your side and really going to get them to want to try and help you it is a valid charge. Your options to try and request that they waive it are going to be fairly limited. You can try speaking to the billing team again either by LiveChat or Phone and explain that you didn't know of the charge and request that because it was so close to the change over and a minimal amount of data that they waive this one for you. They might, or might check with their supervisor/manager who may agree to waive it as a once off goodwill gesture but it is going to depend becuase again it is a valid charge.

Alternatively if it really is upsetting you to the point your post could be taken to suggest if you are still not able to get the resolution that you feel is appropriate after making contact with the support team again then your only other real way to dispute it is to lodge an official complaint - the complaints team would then go over the details and again may have the ability to waive it even though it is a valid charge as a goodwill gesture.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

Extra data is a standard part of the contract details, so you would have agreed to it and accepted it when you took out the contract. It is also clearly noted in the CIS and full customer terms, the only exception is if you are on a very old plan in which case it would have been something you would have needed to opt into and would have been agreed on at that stage.

It replaced the excess data charges which depending on the plan could have been up $2/MB, the last generation before they added extra data was $0.03/MB or $30/GB so this was 1/3 the cost on a 1GB amount.

While calling staff 'monkeys' is obviously a great way to get the support team on your side and really going to get them to want to try and help you it is a valid charge. Your options to try and request that they waive it are going to be fairly limited. You can try speaking to the billing team again either by LiveChat or Phone and explain that you didn't know of the charge and request that because it was so close to the change over and a minimal amount of data that they waive this one for you. They might, or might check with their supervisor/manager who may agree to waive it as a once off goodwill gesture but it is going to depend becuase again it is a valid charge.

Alternatively if it really is upsetting you to the point your post could be taken to suggest if you are still not able to get the resolution that you feel is appropriate after making contact with the support team again then your only other real way to dispute it is to lodge an official complaint - the complaints team would then go over the details and again may have the ability to waive it even though it is a valid charge as a goodwill gesture.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team

DrQ is on the money peddling the good oil as usual. The only thing I would add is that the Extra Data charge would have been detailed in your Critical Information Summary at the time of accepting the plan. If you would like to check that out, you can find the CIS for your plan here: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal for personal services and here: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/business for business.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more