CrowdSupport®
dumbz
Level 2: Rookie

DATA

After 30 odd years having an old flip phone with Telstra my daughter gave me her old galaxy mobile.  We needed to get a new sim card as mine didnt fit it. Telstra shop put in the new sim card.  Note my account plan is for no data and I have never used it for that.  within about 2 hour I had used $100 data, the only thing that was done, my daughter sent some photos, does that use data. The next day i went to the Telstra shop and reported it, they said it sometimes happens wait for a bill and if charged go back and see them.  Bill came charged around $127 for data, went back to Telstra shop same day, they said they couldnt do anything ring accounts. Got onto 24/7 they say I used it, HOW?  apparently the data was turned on for a few hours on the new phone, which my daughter turned off the same night.  HOW CAN YOU USE OVER $100 IN A COUPLE OF HOURS, I dont understand.  AND IF MY PLAN WAS FOR NO DATA  WHY DID I GET IT?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Support Team
Support Team

Re: DATA

Hello Dumbz

The phone may have had automatic updates on it and this does use data.

If you plan has no data on it there will be a rate per mb used.

Data is collected when the phone number connects to the Internet.

Did the phone has apps on it when it was given to you?.

Have you changed your plan?.

Tips about Mobile Data can be located via the following link:  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Plans-Rates-KB/27-Mobile-Data-Tips/ta-p/187957

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

dumbz

It seems that the data was on as I got billed $127 over 2 hours.  the telstra shop put the new sim card in as it was for the same number and my old phone sim didn't fit. I never went on the net but my grand daughter sent me photos, did that use data.

My old phone didn't have data and in 30 years I have never used data.  I would have thought the change over was the same as it was the same number and account.  I know my daughter turned data off after getting sms from telstra saying what data was used.  Ihave 1000gb per month on my new bundle, so if I intended using data i would use my computer,

As being a pensioner this has come as a big shock and expense.  I am thinking of going back to my old mobile so as I don"t get caught again.  It's like getting 2 bills at once.  I am considering porting to a different carrier as I found Telstra a little unsympathetic.  I went to the telstra shop the day after it all went on, they recorded it on their system and said if I get a bill come back.  I did get a bill, I did go back and they said Oh we can't do anything with billing, Anyway bottom line is I have to pay it, how will be another matter.  I wonder how many people get caught this way.  Even at the Telstra shop the next day I reported it, said nobody could use that amount of data in such short time

AND NO I HAVEN'T CHANGED MY PLAN AS I DON'T WANT MY PHONE FOR DATA AND NEVER HAVE.

i JUST NEED IT FOR CALLS AND SMS  AND THE NEW PHONE WAS SO I COULD TAKE PHOTOS IF I WANTED TO...THE DINOSAUR MOBILE I HAD THE PHOTOS WERE SO TINY YOU COULDN'T SEE THEM

I AM STILL STRESSED OUT TALKING ABOUT IT

ANYWAY THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dumbz

Sorry to hear of your recent experience. 

As your daughter has turned the Data off on your phone, you should not have any further problems. 

If you are still concerned about the bill, you are best to speak with our 24x7 Billing Support team http://tel.st/49kl so they can assist you further

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jack17

Sorry Lindy that is not a solution, I have had the same issue, I have a generous broadband account and opted for calls and SMS only on my phone which I upgraded to 4g in December.
Mobile Data was set to off and Wi-Fi to forward emails and Skype calls when I was in the garden, surprise! An SMS from Telstra billing me $20 of data, and yes when I checked it was on mobile data, my mistake or so I thought.
Fast forward 30 days, turned off the Wi-Fi and went to bed and received an SMS from Telstra for guess what? $20 of data, checked data settings and it was back on mobile data!! I am not a total Muppet so this is it,
The issue is with the YouTube Mobile App, updating every month and using 10mb each time @ $2 mb, this piece of malware will, when it gets an update notification, override your phone setting and enable download from your mobile service provider regardless if an open wireless connection is available, obviously not good for me but great for Telstra (not your fault). Best advice DELETE it and any other apps you will never use like Google Apps and Google Store and ignore the scary warnings, I have made a complaint to YouTube but I don't expect them to act after all they and their ego's are way more important than users.
dumbz

Thankyou Jack17....I have 1000gb on my computer, so as a pensioner no need to have more on Phone,, I only use it fom calls and SMS,,, The only help I got from Telstra was by my request I needed a couple of more weeks to pay the accidental data

I paid my bundle bill but had to request extra time to pay the data

Anyway bottom line is they gain I lose,  but am petrified it could happen again. as you have outlined

Jack17

As I said Dumbz you need to disable any built in apps on your phone, this is done in phone settings\apps, you will need to disable each one, I suggest Google Apps, Play Store, Youtube and all of the Social Media Apps.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now