CrowdSupport®
confused29
Level 3: Gumshoe

Data charges on iphone

Answered

I turned off the data on my iphone quite a while ago, but I am still being charged small amounts for data.  Why is this?  I am on Telstra Simplicity prepaid offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Data charges on iphone

Hi @confused29

If you go into your phone settings, there should be a data usage menu there. If you click on that you will be able to see a graph of your data usage as recorded by your handset, including which apps are using that data. There should also be a setting you can change to enable and disable data.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Support Team
Support Team

Hi confused29, 

What are the amounts of data that are being used? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

confused29

I turned the data off on my phone on November 11, 2016.  I was charged 10c for 1mb of data on December 12, the same on December 16 & the same on December 21.  Also, on November 22, November 30 & December 5, my account shows <0.1mb of data used, for which I was not charged. 

I know 30c is a pretty trivial amount, but how can I be charged for data when I have switched the data off my phone?  And how can any amounts of data even show up in my statement?

Thank you.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello confused29, 

Are you able to inform us as to what type of phone you are using? As with iPhones, their text-messages is via internet usage. 

- Simone

confused29

I have a Telstra iphone.  Don't want to get into a big argument, but I am 100% sure that you don't need the internet to send text messages.  To send picture messages, yes.  I never send picture messages.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Confused29

To clarify, if you are sending a Text message from your Iphone, it goes via the Network, and therefore against your SMS allowance. 

If you send an Imessage Text, this is actually included in your monthly data amount. 

Kind Regards 

confused29

Sorry.   I got a bit confused.  Never thought of text messages being sent via the Net.  I suppose mobile phone calls are sent via the Net as well.  I have never heard of Imessage Text before, but I looked it up and it applies to Apple iphones (for receiving messages too).  (I do not have an Apple phone.)  So if you turn the data off on your phone, that does not imply that the whole internet is turned off.  Were mobile phones possible before the internet started?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

My apologies, in your post above I feel sure you mentioned you had an Iphone. But that's not a problem. 

When Mobile Phones were introduced, there was no internet on them, they were only a phone. Messaging, MMS and Data came much later. 

In relation to your usage, and the small amounts you are being charged for, I would recommend having a chat with our 24x7 Prepaid Team  http://tel.st/nxzt as they can access your account, view your usage and let you know what the charges are for. 

Kind Regards 

confused29

Thank you, Lindy, for clarifying all that.  I did refer to my mobile phone as an iphone, using the terms synonymously, and 'iphone' as a generic word, not specifically referring to an Apple brand.

I have not had any more data charges since that 30c so I am supposing there was a bit of a lag in the use of the data and the charges appearing in my account. 

Kind regards,

Janet

confused29

Was charged another 10c for data yesterday 15/01/17, although data is still off.  Not the end of the world, but how can this be?  It makes me suspect that Telstra is charging small amounts which they think people won't notice.  How else can they be charging in these circumstances?  What does it mean to turn your data off your phone?  It means that you don't want data, that you don't want to be charged for data.  That you don't want to be able to access data. 

Might it be that I am accessing my emails, but with Wifi?  Might it be that Telstra news (24x7) was surprisingly accessed on my phone yesterday (not by me) outside of the Wifi zone?  Telstra 24x7 says 'Please turn off WiFi in your settings to get the latest data' but it still seems to work with Wifi on.  And why shouldn't it?  But it shouldn't have worked with Wifi off because the data was also off.   I only downloaded Telstra 24x7 last Friday night (21/2 days ago) - didn't have it before, so the other data amounts could not be that. 

By the way, turning my data off the phone was easy, and I have gone to Google search outside the Wifi zone a few times to make sure that it was still off, and it was.  But I have not yet been able to figure out how to turn my data back on, not that I want to at present, but it would be nice to know how to do it if I needed to.  I have a Telstra branded mobile phone.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@confused29

There are a number of Telstra Branded Smart Phones, we'd need to know which you're using in order to accurately assist with data settings.

How did you go when reporting the issue to the Prepaid Team?

- Matt

confused29

I think what I'm getting is background data.  I have been charged three lots of 10c for it in the last few days.  My 'mobile data' is turned off.  I am not sure why Telstra 24x7 says 'Please turn of WiFi in your settings to get the latest data' when the latest data appears even if I don't turn the Wifi off.  But I am pretty sure that it is Telstra 24x7 that I am being charged these small amounts for, even when I am connected to Wifi.  Does it mean that I wouldn't be charged for this 'background data' if I switched the Wifi off?  It is all very technical.

I still haven't figured out how to switch my mobile data back on, if I needed to.  I would be most grateful for any help in this regard.  My mobile is a Telstra,  Model ZTE Blade A462 LTE MOBILE PHONE, Android version 6.0.1. 

Thank you

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @confused29

If you go into your phone settings, there should be a data usage menu there. If you click on that you will be able to see a graph of your data usage as recorded by your handset, including which apps are using that data. There should also be a setting you can change to enable and disable data.

Highlighted
confused29

Thank you, thedylan, that worked!

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now