CrowdSupport®
kylie72
Level 2: Rookie

Data charges

Why am I getting msgs saying I now have 1gb data for $10 when I have only been using wifi and have switched mobile data off on my mobile?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Re: Data charges

Hey @kylie72

I would recommend checking what the data usage is via the Telstra 24x7 App or Telstra My account (https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/).

Jordan

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

kylie72

Sorry do you mean for me to see which apps are using the data usage? I thought if I turn mobile data off and only have wifi on I wouldn't get charged for data?
Level 21: Augmented

Are you using Apple? There are some hidden suckers...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 24: Supreme Being

That message is only an advert from Telstra advising that you can buy 1 GB of extra data for $10. It does not mean you have used 1 GB of data. I get those message from time to time on my phone even when I have not used any data.

If you have an Android or Windows phone and you turn Cellular data off in settings you will not use any data. I am not sure about iPhones because I have never owned one but I am sure turning cellular data off in the settings will stop the phone using cellular data.
kylie72

No android. I have a Samsung galaxy S7
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Kylie, 

Thanks for contacting us about your mobile usage. This link will give possible causes of mobile usage as usage can be recorded without physically going to websites:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/data-usage/downloads-and-uploads-that-ca...

If you don't feel that these were a possible cause, please call Mobile Assurance on 13 22 00 then say "Faults" and we can check on any issues. You can also chat to us here http://tel.st/gq6m

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

How long before the message did you switch off mobile data?

The data usage isn't always in real time
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

More so just to confirm if you've gone over your data limit on the 24x7 app. If you have mobile data turned off I would also check Download Booster, which can be found in Settings --> More --> Download Booster and switch it off.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

kylie72

Ok so it could be from the day before then? Ill keep an eye on that. Thankyou

It is certainly possible @kylie72

If you were getting close to the 1GB limit and switched it off, It's possible when the backend did its calculations overnight that it turned out you were just over

Also on your s7 you should be able to set it so it automatically cuts off mobile data when it gets to a pre-determined limit. I have my pixel set to my billing cycle and to give me a warning at 90% percent and cut off mobile data at 94%. On my phone it is in Settings > Network and Internet > Data Usage. On the samsung it should be in a similar location

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now