Mootnell
Level 1: Cadet

Data consumption

I’ve had ongoing problems with excessive data usage for months despite minimal use.

i have a nighthawk Netgear connected  to a month old new computer.

at rollover date 8th my 45gb plan still had 3gb left on my 45gb plan.

Logged into account this morning and account read o.3 mb use. Close enough to zero so at least I knew the last 24 hours had been accounted for.

I opened email program once but didn’t read or answer any.

Went on FB for half hour and opened one link to download a knitting pattern and print.

My husband watched half of ONE 5 minute video on how to fix a washing machine.

because of ongoing issues I then logged into telstra just to see what data consumption was used and it has used 1.27gb!!!

Having had numerous issues for months we ensure phones etc are all off so data can’t be downloading behind the scenes.

last time I complained after over 4 hours and 7technicians, I had to hang up as I was left with a completely unusable computer email program and no internet. (Despite neither of them having an issue prior to my call).

I had to pay an external I.T. Person to fix Telstra stuff up. Telstra wouldn’t acknowledge they had caused the problem however the ombudsman found in my favour and Telstra paid for the repair.

For the next month despite more usage than normal my data consumption was still way below 45gb usage. 

But now same problem back and I’m not game to ring Telstra due to the last fiasco.  Anyone have a suggestion who I can contact that won’t wreck my brand new computer or what I can do to stop this excessive data usage please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Data consumption

First thing I would be doing would be to check the network traffic that my computer has used.

If using a Windows 10 machine, click on the magnifying glass and type Data Usage.

This will bring up the data that your computer has used over the past 30 days.

You will be able to see if any process on your machine is using more data than you expected.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now