smadge1
Level 10: Junior Detective

Data sharing and the lack thereof

Today I found out that data sharing is no longer a thing on consumer mobile plans, and this is incredibly inconvenient to me and short-sighted by Telstra. While my $150+ per month go mobile plan remains active, I guess everything just works, but I’m told I can no longer add additional data share SIMs to my account, and when the time comes to recontract on a new plan, my existing data share SIMs will be useless. I’ve purchased three 4G devices over the years, through Telstra, precisely because data sharing SIMs were available. I wouldn’t have purchased a 4G device if I had to tether it to my phone. Telstra wants me to get new “plans” which are exorbitantly priced, for very little data in order to continue using 4G on these 4G devices. And then I have to juggle 3 data caps, and don’t you see how impractical this all is? I’m kinda hoping that sometime this year, Telstra will sees sense and come up with a solution to this problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Data sharing and the lack thereof

It changed in July 2018.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
smadge1

I know that now... after I went to try and obtain another data share SIM today.

it would have been awkward if i didn’t find out about this until I decided to go and recontract.

the purpose of my posting this is not just to complain, but try and work out the best way forward. Would be nice if I could get a comparable data only plan to replace each of my data SIMs, 

i’d be happy with 15GB for $10 / month, which is what my current usage equates to. You reckon Telstra could do this deal? Or am I to be deprived?

You won't get 15GB for $10. 15GB is currently $40.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
smadge1

So you can imagine why I can’t see this move by Telstra as anything more than a money grab right?

theyre gonna forced me off my current arrangement.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@smadge1 i know this is probably being a bit late to the party, but

i now sort of get the impression in hindsight that this idea may have been Telstra's attempt to try an American way of doing things, but maybe didnt get it quite right, that or it was an attempt to see how much of an increase they really needed to add to their plans.

After talking to an American (on a different forum) about what he gets, (not 100% sure i'm getting it right though).

as I understood it to be:

they pay for a Total Data Pool (in this case it was a piddly 15gig) of which they get to share that across 4 phone numbers (landline and mobile), for a set price (sorry cant remember), but calls and texts are all included for all 4 phones.

Given Australia's high usage of internet, the 15gigs wouldnt cut it.

But if Telstra could offer something like a family plan for mobiles that was similar to this, i think it would be great.

Telstra's problem would be:

how big would the Data Pool need to be (given current usage rates of some individuals you would need to be looking at ) somewhere in the region of 500gigs over 4-5 mobile phones.

Pricing ?????

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
smadge1

To be honest, I’m completely happy with my current plan, very happy. 60GB shared between 3 devices, Note8, iPad Air2 and an iPad Pro 10.5. I would be happy to have this arrangement indefinitely, but one day I’ll need to update devices, and that’ll force me off my current plan.

for once in my life, I was happy to be paying $150+ /m for a quality service.

but like most good things, it will come to an end, and I’m livid.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now