CrowdSupport®
qld19
Level 3: Gumshoe

Data usage charges

Can anyone tell me why, at midnight every night, I am being charged a Data Usage fee? And that is every night. I have a pre paid, and nearly all my data usage is going for nothing. I am obviously not sitting there every night at midnight and using my mobile - which I was told after phoning the wonderful Telstra customer service.   Eg data usage for 4 nights in a row...951MB, 219MB, 551MB, 190MB.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Data usage charges

Hi qld19,

I'm also on Pre-Paid and in my 24/7 App it shows Data usage at 11.30pm every day.

I believe you when you say that you're not using Data at midnight...I'm not using Data at 11.30pm either.

This is the time that Telstra calculate's what Data we've used during the day, but it could also be delayed by 24 hours.

When you press on the Usage tab...under the Calls, Messsages, Data dropdown's it's written: Data charges may take up to 15 minutes to be deducted (which it's hardly ever deducted in 15 minutes time).

When you press on the "Things you need to know" dropdown it's written: Data usage may be delayed by up to 24 hours.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
qld19
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks - I am aware of what you state. But some days when I have not used my mobile for any web activity, (call only), I am still being hit with data charges. My data allowance is literally being wiped out with no use. At the rate I am going, I am literally paying for free calls. I am a bit scared that when I do need to use the web, I won't have any data left. I accidentally left my mobile at a friend's place and phone wasn't touched for a week - it still showed data usage at midnight.

Highlighted

Hi qld19, 

I'd suggest turning your Mobile Data off when you're not using it.

I always have my Mobile Data turned off...unless I'm using the internet or sending/receiving an MMS.

Your Data usage sounds like it's Apps automatically updating in the background.

What type of mobile phone do you have?

If it's an Android mobile I can suggest a couple of things to help...if it's an Apple mobile, someone else will have to help you.

If it's an Android mobile: go into the Play Store App, press on the 3 lines top left of the screen, press on Settings in the list, then under Auto-update Apps select "Don't auto-update apps".

You'll get notified for Play Store App updates (if there is any) when you turn your mobile data on.

If you have a Samsung mobile: go into the Galaxy Store App, click on Settings, then Updates, then Auto Update Apps : set to Never.

You'll get notified for Galaxy Store App updates (if there is any) when you turn your mobile data on.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now