CrowdSupport®
brennycee
Level 1: Cadet

Data usage

Have just realised that I can connect to the internet on my mobile phone.  Will this data usage accrue to my Home Broadband Internet plan usage and if so, provided I don't exceed my allowance, will I have to pay for an addtional service? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Data usage

Have just realised that I can connect to the internet on my mobile phone.  Will this data usage accrue to my Home Broadband Internet plan usage 

That depends on whether the handset is connecting to the Internet over the mobile network (also used for telephony and SMS message transmission), or by Wi-Fi to a router/gateway device that is connected to (or built into) a modem connected to your home broadband Internet service.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
brennycee

O.K., thanks  It is probably via telephony because I use it for text messaging - I just didn't realise that would also connect me to the i/net.

However my Bigpond ADSL connection uses a Thomson TG782T modum which I understand can be used for WiFi, so the mobile phone could in theory be hooked into that, and my wireless keyboard and mouse, and I am told that if I were to buy an Ipod (which I am considering) it could also connect in the same way. 

I have looked for and found the WPA and Wireless PIN numbers on the modum, and have found a  website with instructions for setting up a gateway but don't know if that really is what I need to do.  Can you point me in the right direction for doing this? and would it compromise my Bigpond ADSL plan if I were to use the modum for WiFi? 

Thanks for your help.  It is always difficult to know what questions to ask and how to phrase them but despite being in my seventies I really do want to be able to do this sort of stuff on my own with some guidance rather than get someone else to do it and not have a clue about what they actually did.

Level 22: Superhuman

If your BigPond ADSL modem/router (the Thomson TG782T) has already been set up, by default, to use WPA for Wi-Fi security, then chances are it is already operating as an access point or ‘hotspot’ for end-user devices to connect to wirelessly, as long as they know the WPA passphrase that correspond to the network name (aka SSID); it would not be a trivial exercise for unauthorised users to connect to it, and use your BigPond connection to access the Internet (hence using up your home broadband plan's included allowance).

Which make and model of handset do you have? The instructions for setting different handsets up for access to Wi-Fi networks are quite model-specific.

Most, if not all, smartphone handsets are capable of:

1. mobile data access via a 3G (or 4G/LTE) mobile network, and
  2. connecting to a wireless access point or ‘hotspot’ by Wi-Fi,

and often can do both at the same time. Bear in mind that if you set your handset up for both, then it can switch how it connects without your knowledge and without requiring case-by-case approval by you.

Any mobile data usage over the 3G network will be billed to your mobile phone service. Most mobile phone service plans these days include some amount of data usage allowance in the monthly plan fee, but if your usage exceeds that, you will be charged additionally on a per-unit basis.

If you don't want to run the risk of additional usage charges above the monthly plan fees (for your mobile phone service and home broadband services), and you don't have a real need to be able to access the Internet on your handset (e.g. to receive e-mail) when you're outside of your home, then I suggest disabling 3G mobile data access on your handset, and only allow it to connect by Wi-Fi when in range of a router/hotspot. Again, the instructions would be quite specific to the model.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
brennycee

Great, thanks.  I think I'll take the disabling advice.I don't really need to access emails or anything else from my mobile phone.  I'll save your comments in case I change my mind at a later date 

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now