CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
robyna
Level 2: Rookie

Excessive Data Usage

Answered

HI

My average use on my Bigpond account is approx 45 GB per month for the last 18months .  I have now received e-mail advising me that my data allowance of 200GB per month is being exceeded with in three days.  I have contact help line and been advised to change password, which I have done, no change to usage.  Turned modem off for 24 hrs no data usage recorded.  I have two devices a Laptop and a T Hub. I have performed a security check using Nortons only found 18 tracking cookies.

I have been advised to perform a reset on the Manufactures Reset. Question are there any issues with this reset and are there any things I should be aware off.

Thank you

Robyn

I hve not changed  the way I use my devices. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Excessive Data Usage

G'day @robyna  and welcome to Crowdsupport

Woah,

Manufactureres reset on what?

DON'T DO A MANUFACTURERS RESET ON YOUR LAPTOP

A reset on your gateway modem will mean you have to run through the setup process again, and any WiFi password changes you have made will be lost.  You can write all of your configurations down (or take screen shots) if you want.

It will also want your email address and password for it to work again.

Resetting yout T-Hub 2 will mean it will be back to the way it looked when you took it out of the box, and you will simply have to go through the setup wizard again.

BEFORE you do any of that, look here:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet/Where-is-my-data-allowance-being-used/m-p/435...

see if the links there help you.

I reccomend downloading networx for your laptop and have it look at what is connectig to the net.

It is possible that Nortons misses something.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Accepted Solution

G'day @robyna  and welcome to Crowdsupport

Woah,

Manufactureres reset on what?

DON'T DO A MANUFACTURERS RESET ON YOUR LAPTOP

A reset on your gateway modem will mean you have to run through the setup process again, and any WiFi password changes you have made will be lost.  You can write all of your configurations down (or take screen shots) if you want.

It will also want your email address and password for it to work again.

Resetting yout T-Hub 2 will mean it will be back to the way it looked when you took it out of the box, and you will simply have to go through the setup wizard again.

BEFORE you do any of that, look here:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet/Where-is-my-data-allowance-being-used/m-p/435...

see if the links there help you.

I reccomend downloading networx for your laptop and have it look at what is connectig to the net.

It is possible that Nortons misses something.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

robyna

Thank you I will further investigate. I will not use the manufactures reset. Robyn

Hey @robyna ,

We haven's solved your question yet, so let us know how you go and we will see if we can follow up.

robyna

I did not reset manufatures reset on my moden however I turned off my laptop and THub and watched the modem.  The light from internet and the wifi was continually flashing is this normal.

Thank you

Robyn 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Robyn,

Flashing lights on your modem can be normal. It depends on the model, but on most, a quick flashing can indicate activity and is completely normal.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

robyna

The modem is a Technicolor TG582N. Both the the Laptop and THub were totally inactive.

Thank you Robyna.  

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Robyna, 

In this case I can only advise that you will need to speak Technical support team further troubleshooting and investigation in to this. You can contact them on 133933 or you can also contact them via our Live chat service here: http://tel.st/49kl

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

robyna

I am dealing with them.  they advised me that they have escalated the problem, that was on Tuesday morning, I have not been contact from the higher level at this time.  My problem has been unresolved for since mid February.  I was hoping to short circuit the problem.

Thank you  

robyna  

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Robyna, 

These issues can take some time as there will need to be some investigation undertaken. If you have an Employee or complaint number for the person assisting you, I would be happy to contact them on your behalf to get in touch with an update for you. Otherwise if you contact the Tech support team again, they can check the notes on your account in relation to the investigation and provide a reference for you. 

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

robyna

I have been away for the weekend, I turned of all devices and left the modem on.  There had not been any usage recorded, so it appears that modem is operating OK.  On returning home on Monday I have only used my Toshiba Lap Top and a Samsung Galaxy.   The usage is recording at Normal Rates of 660 megs on Monday and Tuesday 347megs.  Could the problem be with the T HUB?  If so does the T Hub need virus protection?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Robyn A 

G'day @robyna, Good test turning off all the devices, and leaving the modem on.

That eliminates a lot of sources. I doubt a T-Hub could use that much, but you can check the T-Hub (I hope it's a T-Hub 2) by getting an anti-virus program from the Google Play Store.

I reccommend Clean Master, and do a complete check.

For your laptop, I'd try Malwarebytes Anti Malware, just in case. https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/ 

robyna

Wanglese

Thank you, I attempted to download CleanMaster unfortunately I got an error message 961. Any suggestions.
robyna

I think that I may have solved my problem (excessive data usage).  By accident on my THub 2,  I found seven PDF trying to download.  The documents were VLine timetables.  It took me  about 30 minutes to work out how to abort the downloads.  Since they have been deleted,  usage appears to be back to normal rates.

Thank you

Robyna 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Oh great to hear Robyna - thanks for the heads up!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ahh,  now that was wierd Robyna,  probably it kept trying and trying.

Good to know. I'll keep a lookout.

Not sure why you copould not get Cleanmaster on your T-Hub 2.

But good to know you have it sorted.

WingfieldHart

April 25 at 5.17am I received email stating I had used 25939 MB, then at 1.41pm received message stating I had used 42872 MB that is 85% of 50GB monthly allowance. The odd thing is that I had hardly been on the Internet and not changed usage habit. April 27 another message stating I had used 50024 so I rang Telstra on April 28 and was given another 50GB data topup. Within 2 days apparently I had used 85% of 100GB and actually gone over the allowance again. I have not been on the Internet, switched off the wifi and my devices are currently using cellular. What the hell is being downloaded and by whom? Strangely and coincidentally I received mail and email from Telstra informing me about eligible top ups three times a year. I have never ever used my data allowances on any devices!! I can't get any solution customer service!
robyna

WingfieldHart

The problem maybe that a program is trying to download. I had the problem on a THUB, when discovered I deleted the PDF and the problem was solved.
WingfieldHart

Would a PDF download use a 50gb top up in 48 hours.....surely not. Thanks for responding.
robyna

My usage was recorded at 15000gigs per month. Normal usage was 45gigs per month. 

Jalina
Level 1: Cadet

I also have had unexplained data usage in just two days. I was supposed to have used 33 GB in two days when my data usage isnt even that amount for th whole month... I only have 25GB data per month. I rang telstra and was told that I need to be more careful with the data that I use!! basically telling me I have used this data and should be able to monitor my own usage and not allow it to go over !!! The first time I looked at my data usage it was already way way over my allowed 25GB in just two day. I am very unhappy with the blame the customer attitude that I received!!! And on top of that I was told when I asked how much my contract exit fees would be was $1800. I am trapped in a contract that potentially is going to cost me sooo soo much more than I signed up for! without even the slightest concern that it could be a system error. I know I didnt use 33 GB in two days. But Telstra is not willing to help at all. I wont be renewing any contract with telstra. They seem to have changed focus from keeping the customer happy to make the customer pay just in the last couple of years!!!! I am furious!!!!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jalina,

I am sorry to read of the disappointing interaction you had with our team in trying to find out where this usage has come from. What service type do you have please? ADSL, Cable, Fixed Wireless or NBN?

A common culprit for a rapid spike in data usage is often malware. I'm sure you are running antivirus software, but if it is a very very new piece of malware, the antivirus companies may not have detected it yet to have determined how to stop it. If you have picked up something like this, it's possible the malware is using your allowance without you even knowing it.

Software updates on your devices is also a massive culprit, especially if you have multiple devices - as an example, I upgraded my Sister-in-law's iPads for her kids the other night. I did each one individually over the Wifi, so ended up downloading the 2Gbs each time for each iPad. Would have been smarter to download it once to my PC, then perform the update over a USB cable. Ooops.

I should clarify, support will be able to see that you have used the data, they won't be able to see what the data was used for; for us to do so would be a massive invasion of your privacy. Depending as to the service type (see my first question), we'll be able to provide some more advice to determine where this usage could have happened.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now