Highlighted
Peterno
Level 1: Cadet

Extra Data and capped plans

Hi,

if i set up Extra data, does it only kick in when i reach my cap or as described every time i exceed my data usage..

Example If i can use about 10gb above my data limit in my plan before going over my cap $ limit, if i have "extra Data" applied will i be charged the 10 X $10 ie $100 for data and this will not be included in my cap?

Really peeved off if this is the case, specially as i will not longer be able to buy data pack top ups at a set rate to offset data usage.

Peter

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 20: Director

Re: Extra Data and capped plans

There has been some confusion on this topic (me included) however if you mean capped plans as in throttled they do not have the provision to add data as they are just slowed down. If it is not a throttled plan and you have added the extra data offer it simply adds 1GB of data as soon as you exceed the data that came with your plan. If you exceed the 1GB of extra data you will again get another 1GB and this will continue over and over until you are broke.

It has been pointed out to me that buying a 1GB extra data pack is actually more expensive as it was $15 instead of the new $10 rate.

Level 23: Superhero

That's it Yeldarb.

However it's important to remember that each time an Extra Data 1GB is added, and you are charged the corresponding $10, that you receive notification of this.

If you are speaking of the old staff cap plan that allowed additional data usage above the included limit to come out of the cap credit, rather than being added as true additional usage charges, unfortunately I'm not sure how this works as I've yet to encounter anyone who has added Extra Data to this plan.

If you have added Extra Data to this plan I would personally appreciate if you could provide feedback on how this combination worked for you.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Yep with the only down side to all of this being a $10 charge even if you only exceed your plans data allowance by a couple of MB. I would have thought a MB rate would have been a better option.

Level 23: Superhero

I guess it's a balancing act.

They've reduced additional data costs, in some cases from 25c/MB down to 1c/MB, however the balance is that you are billed in 1GB blocks.

For those that only go a couple of MB over, they can keep there old excess data rates if they prefer, but I think it's a great insurance policy against ridiculous excess usage charges that some faced in the past.

I do wish though that Telstra kept their past commitment to customers, and offered shaping on mobile plans (not just Bigpond-branded mobile broadband).
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Naa I don’t think it is a balancing act. I think that Telstra it simply maximising their profit and the expense of their users. If they were fair dinkum they would have made it a flat rate of 1 cent per MB. Failing that they could have at least rolled over any unused portion of the extra data.Smiley Wink

golferae2
Level 2: Rookie

I have found that although Telstra has  introduced & extensively  advertise the new "EXTRA DATA" feature it may not be compatible with all TELSTRA plans. Did the marketing people forgot to talk to the technical & billing staff?

The "Extra Data" system/promotion was not compatible with my TELSTRA Mobile Broadband Starter SIM (500Mb) Plan, even though it is listed on My Account as the only method of dealing with usage greater than the included allowance.

I have put in a complaint to Telstra to fix the excessive extra charges that appeared because the "EXTRA DATA" feature did not activate.

Beware of new features that Telstra say are better. For whom?

Support Team
Support Team

Hey golferae2,

I can appreciate your frustrations with this Mobile Broadband Starter SIM plan not being included with the recent upgrade to the Extra Data blocks that we have available since the 12/05/2015. What is the fee that your extra data has been charged at, was it $0.10 per MB (Megabyte)?

This is what we have listed as the fee for going over the 500 MB of usage on this Mobile Broadband SIM plan that was included as part of the bundle offer at the time this was sold. I understand that further data packs have not been available since the 12/05/2015, so there is no option for extra usage to be available on this plan now.

Please let us know how you go with the complaint on this matter, if you are able?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

hendo18
Level 1: Cadet

So can someone tell me is the $10 extra data charge if i go over my 1MB included in my cap price?

Meaning does the $10 just go into my spend for the month as long as i stay under $400

This is on a staff plan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi hendo18

No it doesn't go into your $400 spend - this is on top of your Monthly Plan fee, so it'll be $39 for the plan, plus $10 for each 1GB

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now