Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

0 Kudos

Re: High data usage

Hi regret,

Have you been in touch with us via 13 22 00 or Live Chat if you have data charges you're wanting to dispute?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 1: Cadet
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've recently signed onto a contract which gives me a 1 gig data plan for an iPhone 5s. I was previously using an iPhone 4s with the same 1.5 gigs of data (with Telstra 3G).

Without changing the way i use cellular data, my usage seems to have gone up tremendously. I've turned off background refreshes, locations services, push notifications, and anything else I can find in the settings that would use up cellular data without my knowing.

To try and narrow down which apps were killing my usage, I reset the cellualr data statistics on the day my monthlly anniversary reset. On the first day, I googled something randomly on chrome for about five minutes and when I checked my usage, it said I had used up about 20 mbs on Chrome? Didn't seem right even though there were no large files/photos on the webpages I visited?

At first I thought maybe it was the new features in iOS7 that was the cause of it (for some reason, some system services and functions bypasses wifi and uses cellular). So just randomly, I did a speed test with a friend who is on Vodafone LTE using an iPhone 5S as well, both using the same speed test app and standing within a metre of each other. Cellular data usage said that he used up 14mbs and mine used up 70mbs!

I can't really figure out why usage is so high? Is it the way Telstra records cellular data usage (ie; the blocks of kbs is rounded up to the nearest ten)? I have no idea. 

I'd appreciate any comments on this, since I went to check my previous history and I can see that I generally stayed within 1 gig historically on the previous 24 month contract for the iPhone 4s. I stayed with Telstra because I wanted premium speed, but it seems pointless when I have to keep turning off cellular data to conserve it!

Thank you

0 Kudos

I have this issue, my husband and children use there phone data and have  never had an issue. 

I had an issue last year about this time I had to pay an extra $300 on my account.

This year the same happened, I had my data turned off majority of the time, and OMG it happened again!!!! This time I rang telstra up and said NO WAY there is something fishy going on with telstra. They gave me extra data, as I have only just renewed our contracts with telstra I'm stuck with them for 2 years. I'm to scared to turn on my data, its crazy.

I'm so changing carrier next time, very dissapointed with telstra.  

Telstra (Retired)
0 Kudos

Hello miss,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport. Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics we have here, in our Community.

Miss, there is no need to turn off mobile data and restict your usage. You just have to be smartof when and where to use your usage allowance so you can maximise your data use and minimise your bill.

Check out: 25 Mobile Data Tips25 Tips to Manage your Mobile Data and 25 Mobile Data Tips

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today

Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

0 Kudos

no I am an android user the file shows Iused 11, 300 gb in one day ????

I did not what do your records show that I used it on?

Michael

Support Team
0 Kudos

Hi 0400******,

We don't keep a record of your detailed usage. You can go into your browser history and that may help you understand. Also look at the programs, apps, and services you have on your phone, the ones you use ad hock and those that are running in the background.

If you'd like more of a usage breakdown we may be able to supply that once we access your account. If you chat with us now via this live connection we can see what we can find out http://tel.st/49kl

Angela

Level 2: Rookie
0 Kudos

Re: iPhone 5 high data usage when not using phone

I have a post paid plan with Telstra with I Phone 6s with 8gb data.

I am supposed to pay $110.00 every month, but I get bills like $450.00 / month. some times more or less

When I enquired, I was told that it was automatic data usage, the system was automaticall adding
data packs to my plan as I used my 8 gb.

I requested them to TURN AUTO DATA ADD on OFF, they said to me they do not have this feature, and
I will have to pay the bill, I have no choice and for future bills they can't turn it off.
I believe Telstra is hypocrite and make their clients pay way more than what they agree on.
They just want to take your money whithout giving you much choice.

I am sure many more people are facing the same isssues and this is UNFAIR to the consumers.
I want everyone to come together for a Classs action againt Telstra for this sort of fradunent and unfair
business practice. They unfairly charge people for services like auto data add on, Telstra Tv, and many
more craps.

We need all the victims to come together to go to ACCC and start an investigation and take a class action.

If you want to join us in this, please send an email to monirnsw@yahoo.com

Note: Telstra might delete my comment by the time you get to it (:

Support Team
0 Kudos

Re: iPhone 5 high data usage when not using phone

Hi monir,

I'm sorry to hear you are incurring such large bills due to your data usage. We charge for additional data in 1 GB blocks for $10 each, which is the least we've ever charged for additional data since we started offering data with mobile plans. If you are incurring $340 worth of additional usage charges each month that means you are exceeding your usage limit by around 34 GB each month, so I would look into ways to either mitigate that usage or use a different connection that is a little cheaper. Do you know what is causing that data usage?