RMH60
Level 1: Cadet

International roaming

Hello. I’m on the new Mobile Small Plan, travelling to the US shortly. For a 10day holiday, the roaming charge will be $100 based on $10 per day (+ SMSs etc) and I keep below 200Mb/d. Is that my least expensive option? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: International roaming

Basically, yes. The only way to reduce the cost would be to not use your phone for a day here or there (turn it off, not airplane mode. airplane mode is not 100% reliable). Remember, the day resets at midnight AEST, not local time.

And SMS are included, just don't go crazy with the MMS as you get charged extra for them ($0.75 ea plus data usage). If you want to send people photos, switch to wifi (assuming you can find a free one) and use Facebook, Instagram, or some other messaging app. Photos can be 5MB a pop, so you can run through your 200MB pretty quickly if you are not careful.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
RMH60
Level 1: Cadet

Re: International roaming

Many thanks Jupiter!

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now