marco35
Level 1: Cadet

Is tethering allowed in the new SIM only plans?

Answered

I have been told by Telstra staff that I can no longer use this feature. If I did Telstra would detect it and be able to disable my account. This is all to do with data sharing no longer allowed on the new plans. However, I spoke to another sales rep online and said data sharing is only to do with multiple SIM cards on the one account sharing data and that I can still use hotspot feature as that is your phone using the data shared with other devices. Can someone from Telstra please confirm this? Can we still use the hotspot/tethering feature on our phone to share data to other devices on the new SIM only plans without being penalized?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Is tethering allowed in the new SIM only plans?

Tethering is still fine.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

Tethering is still fine.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Xendran
Level 2: Rookie

Jupiter is correct. The action that is not allowed is placing the SIM card from this plan in a different style of device (eg. a Smartphone plan SIM being put into a tablet or mobile broadband modem such as the Nighthawk)
I do what I can.
chubby
Level 1: Cadet

I also find this new idea of where the data sharing has been cancelled when a plan change is carried out a major step backwards. I have 4 mobile numbers some on plans some on sim only. I own them all, they are all on one bill, and all used by myself and have had this feature for a long time. It worked for me which may explain why the idea has been scrapped. It worked, if you use this feature and your thinking of upgrading your handset or plan ..... reallt put some thought into it before you do.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now