Ansett76
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile Data Charges

I live in a share house, my housemate has the internet in their name. For over 6 months we have basically had no internet and Telstra has failed to fix this on many occasions so the ombudsman has now been involved. The solution? A refund of the home internet for the last six months but no fix as we are getting NBN next month. Telstra has advised that the line to the house needs replacing but they are not prepared to do this due to NBN arrival soon. 

My issue, is that I have had to use mobile data, back in November I paid around $300 in data and the same again a couple of months ago. I decided to complain and received a measly $50 credit. As this has happened again, I have now been told that I must pay my bill and get my housemate to call Telstra and explain that as it’s not I’m my name I have had to use mobile data on my own mobile. This has already been done and Telstra advised my housemate that they cannot speak to me and I’m to call back and complain about my own account. 

Well as above, I have and been advised the opposite. 

Who can I speak to to get this resolved. It is unacceptable that we have not had a service that we have paid for for over 6 months and told that no fix would happen. 

I would like my data charges credited until the home internet is restored please. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Mobile Data Charges

If you have already lodged a complaint with the ombudsman (the TIO), then you will have to liaise with them as Telstra has to follow the processes put in place by them.

Otherwise, the only people to talk to would be complaints, via https://telstra.com/complaints

they should be able to resolve the problem, but they would need to get information from both of you (include both your contact details in the complaint lodgement).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ansett76

The issue is the home internet is not in my name. My mobile phone is. Surely Telstra can see from my address on my bill that the internet is out and has been for some time. Hence why I have had to use mobile data all the time thinking that it would be fixed soon. Only to find it now won’t be. We have both spoken to Telstra seperately about the issue with my mobile data usage and been told opposing ways of complaining. 

To my knowledge the TIO complaint about the home internet (not in my name) has been ‘resolved’ as my housemate didn’t have the time to keep calling and reiterating the same issue after numerous attempts and accepted a refund credit for the time the internet hasn’t been working. Telstra has said they will not fix the issue and it will be resolved once the NBN is installed next month. 

As the faulty service is in your housemate's name and they accepted a refund credit, then you will not be able to claim your usage costs as the compensation has already been paid.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ansett76

It doesn’t change the fact that Telstra is still charging for a service they cannot provide. It’s not as though a different home internet provider can be chosen, as it’s a line fault and we will have the same issue. 

To say that they will not replace the line that is faulty as NBN is coming next month (going by other areas this has a high likelihood of not happening on the said date) is not really a solution this has been an issue of numerous calls to and fro, technicians not showing up on the day organised (having to take a day off work and/or organise family members to spend a day waiting). 

Whilst not one to usually complain, this has been a poor effort throughout the whole process and the TIO was a last resort.  

After being a Telstra customer for over 20years, I have been very disappointed by this whole process.  

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Nbnco own the lines, and all requests for network works are actioned by nbnco, if they are expecting next month it is likely that nbnco would have rejected it as pending transfer.

If the TIO agreed with the credit as a ‘resolution’ pending nbn migration it is likely that they believed that Telstra had done what was within its capability as they would have suggested other resolutions where it was suitable. 

If the account holder accepted the resolution it would complete the complaint as being satisfactory resolved for the situation. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Ansett76

Yes, correct on the compensation for my housemates complaint. But not for mine. I have lodged a complaint if my own as again I don’t feel Telstra has resolved my issue. 

There was and has been no other solution offered by Telstra.  I would assume if internet could not be supplied as is contracted and paid for a solution would be to supply a wifi modem using cellular network. 

I actually have a business account and cannot use Internet for work purposes at home full stop, no solution. I can’t even approach another provider. Surely there is another solution to this. 

Perhaps provision of more data in my account would even help. 

Your problem is that the service that was disrupted was not yours. It is that simple. 

The person whose service was disrupted, accepted their compensation. You weren't entitled to any as you didn't have a service that was disrupted. 

It may seem unfair, but that is how contracts work. 

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

DrQ and Jupiter are both right.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Ansett76

Yes contracts do work that way, but as competition is on the rise and I have stuck with Telstra so long you would think this could be resolved in a much better manner. 

The fact is we have no home internet until NBN is installed and it has already been delayed 5 months from the original date. So I may incur charges for another few months due to this. 

Already $600 in data charges and counting. Their original solution was to lock me into another 12mth plan with a seperate sim for data. 

At the end of the day the prospect of staying with Telstra isn’t looking good. The home internet will go to another provider once NBN is installed. I would say my own mobile will end up elsewhere also after this. 

Anyways the ‘compensation’ is not technically compensation it’s merely a refund of services not provided but paid for to date.

Be that as it may. The Telstra staff have done all that they can for you as it was not your service that wasn't working. The rules do not allow them to pay for access to a non-associated third party to receive compensation, even if they are living at the same premises.

If your mobile and the landline broadband service had been on the same bill, then they may have been able to do something, but it still would only have been on your or your housemate's phone, not both. It just doesn't work that way.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now