Level 1: Cadet

Mobile Data Sharing

No More Shared Data 

What a joke 

I have 2 x Mobile Phones - both on $130/month lease plans  

and 2 x Ipads with shared sim cards 

Been happily sharing data for a year or two now

My 2 x mobile leases are about to expire 

Was on the phone today with Telstra to upgrade both my phones.

2 x $140 per month x 24 months 

iPhone Xs Max and Samsung Galaxy 10+

During the upgrade discussions I became aware 

When I asked the question 

That shared data does not exist anymore 

End of conversation with Telstra 

What a joke 

Now looking for suitable plans with another company 

Been with Telstra for over 40 Years 

Disappointing 

Shared data was a great idea 

Nice work Telstra 

Let's Remove that great idea option  

So I suppose I will start to look at my Telstra lease payouts 

and what Optus can offer etc

What a pain

Thanks - Grant 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Mobile Data Sharing

If you continue on without a new contract...you can keep the old sharing deal off contract
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
The-Farv

Hi Prof,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion

Obviously I was having a big moan at / with Telstra

Is this the best place to have a moan at Telstra ?

Where is the best place to have a moan re something like this ?
Eg where a Telstra person might read and pass the complaint up the chain.

Today speaking to Telstra
They said LOT's of complaints on no Data Sharing
Suggested I wait a couple of months
And hopefully shared data will be brought back

Thanks - Grant

Level 21: Augmented

This is something I will be facing in about 6 months, I am on a lease plan myself... Was not a big deal when I signed, but now considering retirement... So I would like to know answers myself...

@ProfessorPhone, do you know if you can stay on the same contract after the lease ends, return the device and just bring your own? My feeling was that this contract was strictly 24 months and then need to recontract... 

@The-Farv, please keep us updated, although I do not think they will bring the shared data back...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Hello Guru
I simply keep paying the agreed amount even though the contract ran its course. My 2nd sim I use for extra data just continues at $5 month......
drawing from my primary phone plan.
Its much cheaper to have a BYO plan and buy hardware separately. The most expensive plan is a "free or subsidized" phone/hardware.
If you don't make waves it just continues.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Hello Grant
After nearly 3000 posts here... and being a mobile customer since 1963 ....I have never observed the senior marketing decision makers seek out opinions here..... This website is part of the social media department to the best of my knowledge.
Level 21: Augmented

Hi @ProfessorPhone,

Yes, that's what I am doing on my NBN contract too... If I recontracted, I could get is slightly cheaper, but I would lose my Foxtel by Telstra satelite…

But I am still concerned that with the contract that includes leasing, Telstra may be cancelling the contract when the leasing ends... I know it was silly move, but the offer for iPhone 8+ and great inclusions was too good to not to take at that time (particularly considering that my wife's iPhone 4 died and she inherited my BYO iPhone 7)... I still have until October, so I will see what others think and what will come through...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
jenimak

I agree 100% Grant. For some years now I have used the data sharing option (and paid for it, I thought $5 a month was worthwhile for the flexibility). Post any good alternatives you find, please? I’ve had a preliminary look and found nothing good in my area. Yet.

jenimak

In the chat to Telstra I was told sharing is being fully discontinued. Off contract or on, it is no longer an option.
Telstraiscrap

Hi, we wanted to let you know your $0 Data Share SIM plans are ending from 25 June 2019, and your Bonus SIM card will stop working after this date. To keep connected to 0439395903, you'll need to move to one of our eligible plans. For more info visit tel.st/dsss

Thanks Telstra, for showing why I should take my premium plans elsewhere.
JonB-53

Lots of cranky folks on https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/98mzmxm3 reacting to the $0 data sim change. Doesn't seem like the best marketing decision ever!

Jon
Jose558

I am doing on my NBN contract too... If I recontracted, I could get is slightly cheaper, but I would lose my Foxtel by Telstra satelite… kroger survey

But I am still concerned that with the contract that includes leasing, Telstra may be cancelling the contract when the leasing ends.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now