Marty123456
Level 1: Cadet

Mobile Protect Does NOT Work!!!

I have set up mobile protect and have been discussing with Telstra how it hasn't worked properly for the past 12 to 18 months. In fact is doesn't work!

In the past few months my kids have managed to exceed additional data usage  by 12GB, at $10 per 1GB. Expensive!!!

How do you stop them going crazy and consuming all of their data plus more?????

I have set up restrictions on internet usage, which would effectively disable the mobile phone from having any internet at all. i.e. Anything that can be restricted has been turned on. Including Time restrictions from 12:00am to Midnight. Yes 24hour period 7 days a week. Unfortunately, even with these restrictions in place, the data usage continues to occur.

The stories that I have been told by Telstra staff:

- that Mobile Protect doesn't work with Telstra's OneNumber (i.e. phone paired with cellular AppleWatch).

- It only stops web page browsing, Apps (facebook, Insta, etc) will continue to have internet access. (Question, how much time do people use a mobile browser compared to a dedicated app?) According to businessofapps com/data/app-statistics/#3  it looks like about 2% of user experience is through a browser, making it about 98% people using an app. So if Mobile protect doesn't stop app data usage. MOBILE PROTECT is a fraud, no protection at all.

- There isn't an issue, the system works

- Its a known problems that impact some customers

- a VPN or other proxy settings have been configured that allow them to bypass Mobile Protect. (darn the kids are smart, hopefully this isn't the start of their hacking careers)

Telstra, I am disappointed!!!

#telstrafail #shameonyoutelstra #protectourkids #noprotections #openaccess #bypassmobileprotec #helpmetelstra #poorserviceatpremiumprice

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Mobile Protect Does NOT Work!!!

Hi Marty123456,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out in regard to Mobile Protect and the fact that you have still incurred additional usage despite trying to safeguard against it. I do sincerely apologise for the experience you are having, There's nothing worse that trying to do the right thing only to have it go awry, as if parents don't experience this in all other areas of their kid's lives right? I'm hearing you.

Understanding you have spoken with a few Telstra staff in regard to Mobile Protect, if you would like to escalate your concerns further, you do have the option to lodge a complaint via: https://tel.st/8y6hj.

Let me know what you would like to do moving forward, I'm happy to help.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Marty123456
Level 1: Cadet

Renee

I would like Telstra Mobile Protect to work! If you can't get it to work properly, then reimburse me for the sub quality service. 

Cheers

Marty123456

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Marty123456.

If you have been unable to get this resolved and your Mobile Protect to work, the next step is to lodge a complaint as Renee has mentioned online here https://tel.st/7qrhw.

Once you have raised a complaint through the online form, you will see a complaint case reference number on screen beginning with 'SR 1-' (be sure to write this down, if you can provide that to me I will note it here so that we can follow up on your behalf if required).

We will assign you a complaint case manager who will be in contact with you within 2-5 business days. They will then work with you one on one until this problem is fully resolved. If they cannot resolve it for you, you can discuss getting this cancelled with them and your bill adjusted. 

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now