Reddirt204
Level 1: Cadet

Mobile data protect???

Answered
Hi there, first time post so this might have been covered before. I have 3 mobile broadband devices (no internet coverage here) I spent 2.5 hours on chat support yesterday to try and set them to stop the data when they get to the limit as I'm tired of paying $10 per gig if they get used up or left on. I was told to change a setting on the mobile protect bit can't find one for data, time, content etc but no data. The support person suggested turning off the data!!! Kind of defeats the objective really.. any advice or am I stuck with this cash cow??? Currently got an extra $80 in data charges so far....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile data protect???

I have not seen any way in Mobile Protect to turn off data once a limit has been reached, you can set time and date rules but I haven't seen GB based rules last time I looked through.

On most Android devices you can set a limit so it stops once it reaches xGB on the device itself though, so that might be one option. Apple hasn't added such an option to iOS though.

Depending on what type of plans and when they were done, it may also be worth looking at the newer plans with the peace of mind data option as well, this will mean once the data limit is hit instead of getting the $10 Extra Data you will get slowed but can continue to use data at the lower speed without any additional charges.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
Accepted Solution

I have not seen any way in Mobile Protect to turn off data once a limit has been reached, you can set time and date rules but I haven't seen GB based rules last time I looked through.

On most Android devices you can set a limit so it stops once it reaches xGB on the device itself though, so that might be one option. Apple hasn't added such an option to iOS though.

Depending on what type of plans and when they were done, it may also be worth looking at the newer plans with the peace of mind data option as well, this will mean once the data limit is hit instead of getting the $10 Extra Data you will get slowed but can continue to use data at the lower speed without any additional charges.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Reddirt204
Level 1: Cadet

DrQ thanks for the reply, O know what you mean about setting the phones to alert/stop the data but using the 4g wireless broadband devices there isn't that option. The contracts are only 6-12 months old so not an option to payout, plus I don't want to 'upgrade' my plan any more as currently spend nearly $600 a month with Telstra for a total of about 300gb across 7 devices, wasted 2.5 hours yesterday to be told the wrong information as well. If NBN co would allow me to change from satellite to fixed wireless I wouldn't have a problem (tried for about 12 my onthe so far, ombudsman etc, no joy at all, even after being told several times I could change) just with teens using the doggles they can go over the limit very easily

Yeah, that doesn't sound very helpful.

Only other real alternative might be to try the complaints team and get them to look over the details as a whole and see if they can find a more holistic solution to meet your actual situation.

I am not sure if they will, but they might have something.
Helpful Links

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Reddirt204,

The mobile protect option doesn't have an option to put a bar on usage over the plan data, it does however allow you to put other restrictions on the account which may in turn keep the usage down in general, more info here http://tel.st/jpt6x

I'm not sure if you're downloaded the Telstra App on your mobile but that would be an excellent way for you to monitor on the go what everyone's usage is like http://tel.st/xrm6e

Let me know how you get on with that.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more