Highlighted
MEF01
Level 2: Rookie

Multpile billing for texts pre paid

Answered

Not strictly data usage but the closest board in the list that I could see....

How are texts charged with a pre-paid account? For example, I sent a text with 174 characters (includes spaces), pure text, and it was charged as 3 lots of 29 cents.  I have had this issue of being charged multiple times for anything other than very short messages  for at least 6 months and Telstra have refunded the multiple charges but it keeps continuing.

Does anyone else have this experience? Is this what I should expect? If not, how do I get it fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MEF01
Accepted Solution

Re: Multpile billing for texts pre paid

Thank you for your reply.

On investigating further I have found that the character I use most which changes the character set is the apostrophe.

So the suggestion from my phone to turn "wont" into "won't" is costing me money and I suggest is doing so for many other users on this type of plan. 

Most users would assume apostrophes (and quotation marks) are common punctuations so the wording in 2.4 b, c and d  in the T's and C's should highlight that the they are in fact non-standard or special characters.

I will be keeping a close eye on my word count from now on to ensure I haven't strayed into using special or non-standard characters.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@MEF01,

This can be tricky to answer without knowing specifics, however, you can read about SMS charging in our Customer Terms

Sections 2.3 and 2.4 cover how SMS is charged and states:

We charge you for each SMS sent from your device. The charging can vary due to a number of factors as set out in clause 2.4. Typically, SMS are charged as follows:
(a) For any SMS that contains 160 standard characters or less we charge one standard fee;
(b) For any SMS that contains more than 160 standard characters, we charge one standard fee for each group of 153 standard characters or part thereof;
(c) Your device may allow you to send an SMS that contains non-standard characters. For any SMS that contains a non-standard character and is 70 characters or less, we charge one standard fee. For any SMS that contains a non-standard character and is more than 70 characters, we charge for each group of 67 characters or part thereof that contains non-standard characters.

The following factors may impact how we charge you for SMS:
(a) Your device may have inherent limitations that impact on the above charges such as treating standard characters as non-standard characters;
(b) Standard characters include those in the English character set such as letters (e.g. a-z), numbers (i.e. 0-9), common English punctuation (e.g. full stop, comma, ?, !) and symbols (e.g. $, &).
(c) Non-standard characters include non-English characters such as ć, â and ë;
(d) Special characters (i.e. ^ { } \ [ ~ ] | €) count as two standard characters.
(e) We charge you for each SMS sent from your device to another mobile service or fixed service. By the way of example, if you send the same SMS to 10 different mobile service numbers, we will charge you for sending 10 SMS.

I should note that the above relates to "Standard SMS" which is referred to as "7-bit ASCII encoding". This is what gives you the 160 standard character limit.

The use of Emoji is considered "non-standard characters" and changes the code of the message to "UTF-16 extended" which will then limit you to 70 characters for the SMS you send. This could mean that even if you send a 150 character message (1 message), the use of a single Emoji would force 3 messages to be sent - charging 3 times.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MEF01
Accepted Solution

Thank you for your reply.

On investigating further I have found that the character I use most which changes the character set is the apostrophe.

So the suggestion from my phone to turn "wont" into "won't" is costing me money and I suggest is doing so for many other users on this type of plan. 

Most users would assume apostrophes (and quotation marks) are common punctuations so the wording in 2.4 b, c and d  in the T's and C's should highlight that the they are in fact non-standard or special characters.

I will be keeping a close eye on my word count from now on to ensure I haven't strayed into using special or non-standard characters.  

zamakli

I have a Go Phone, 10 cents per minute plan, which shows text messages should be charged at 20 cents per msg. However, I am getting charged multiple times on each text message. The most recent was a message of approx 100 words, billed 4 times at 20 cents.

Tutuapp 9Apps Aptoide

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Zamakli. Sorry for the frustration. Have you engaged our prepaid livechat team about this at all? -  http://tel.st/fflv - I'd like to see this resolved - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MEF01

Hi Zamaki,

this sounds like my problem. Did you use an apostrophe or quotation mark anywhere in your 100 word text? Watch for the word count as you are writing the text to see if you are being charged for multiples of 160 characters or 70.   

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now