Highlighted
jp1231
Level 1: Cadet

Netgear Nighthawk Excessive Data Usage (again)

Got my nighthawk device on 08/08/2018 (Wed). Excess data usage noted right from when I set up the device. Called telstra for support on the morning of 09/08/2018 (Thurs). Spoke to Lady 1, who then directed me to Lady 2, who then directed me on to a Lady 3. Lady 3 offered to call back that evening after 'investigating' the matter. Did not receive a call back from Lady 3 so I called back that night and found out that no notes had been taken for the issue I requested for help with. That was 1.5 hours of time wasted talking to three people. Spoke to the fourth person (let's call him Guy 4) who redirected me to Lady 5. Issue unresolved.

Called back on 10/08/2018 (Fri) - found out that none of the 5 people I spoke with the day before had taken any notes.

Re-explained the issue to Lady 6 who finally took some notes and said she would escalate the matter and get someone to call me back the next day. So Lady 7 called me back on 11/08/2018 (Sat) just to confirm they've escalated the matter. Lady 7 promised a call back from the relevant department on Monday 13/08/2018. That obviously didn't happen.

Called Telstra again on Monday 13/08/2018 and spoke to Guy 8, who reassured me that the matter was being investigated and I needed to wait till 18/08/2018 (Fri) before getting a call back from the relevant team, becauase takes 3-5 business days for them to complete their investigation. Fair enough, I waited till Friday.

No call back on Friday so I called Telstra again. Spoke to Lady 9 who directed me to the back of house team so I spoke to Guy 10. Guy 10 informed me that the matter was escalated to the wrong department so no investigation had been done. He then said he'd escalate the matter to the right department and would personally call me back but wasn't able to tell me when I would receive a call back. I was told, too, that he had never seen a case of 'wrongly deducted data usage'. Well, I have been using 2GB every month using my mobile data as hotspot, doing the exact same things I've been doing, and now 117mb is deducted every 15 seconds/ 1 minute/ 2 minutes.

Well, what can I say. This has been an ongoing issue that I believe Telstra is very aware of.

I am extremely frustrated and will escalate the matter to the TIO if I don't get a satisfactory response. My patience is definitely wearing thin. I feel like I've been led on a wild goose chase.

No point responding and telling me to call the relevant department - I've obviously done that and just been led on by multiple members of the telstra team.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Excessive Data Usage (again)

Have you activated and changed the modem's password?
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
jp1231
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Netgear Nighthawk Excessive Data Usage (again)

Yes the password was changed from the first day

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now