Browser
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Prepaid Data Usage

Answered

I have been reading a thread on Crowd Support from 2016 to end 2017 about data charges to prepaid mobile phones at midnight! I also have had this problem for quite some time, same issues, same run around, same silly answers as to why this is happening, basically I have been told to avoid these charges I must keep my mobile data turned off at all times! Really! Is this for real?  In this age of technology, dealing with a communication giant in the industry, this is their answer to the problem! Unbelievable! They offered to put me on a more expensive plan to cover these charges, hello!

I get charged random amounts for data at midnight nearly every night, I am on wifi, my data is turned off, trying to argue this point with call centre employees is monotonous and unsatisfactory. 

I now have my data turned off all the times to avoid excessive unexplained charges, only to find when I enter my house and my phone connects to wifi, text messages all come in hours after they were sent, not mms either, just normal text messages. Can someone from Telstra who knows what they are talking about please explain the logic behind all of this! I am over it!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Browser
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid Data Usage

Yes! Exactly, I have been trialling having my data completely turned off at all times for the last 3 weeks to test the inconvenience level of permanently having it off, low and behold there are times when data is logged to my account at midnight when data has been off for weeks, there is zero charge next to it but why is it logged to my phone at all?  I finally turned my data on after three weeks to test if any charges come through and was was charged for data usage midnight the day before I turned it back on, how is this even possible Telstra, I am done with even trying to talk to anybody about this any more! I am moving on to another provider to see if this problem is consistent with everybody or just Telstra! Not good enough!

Browser
Accepted Solution

Having data turned completely off still didn’t stop data usage being logged to my account but as soon as the data was turned on even when connected to wifi and the phone not leaving the house, then the midnight charges started again, now changed to 1am for charging time. Just to test this against other service providers I changed over to another provider and 4 days into my account, still using my phone the same as always, with all my settings the same, and with my data turned on all the time, I have zero data taken from my account? I will keep watching my charges but seems like it is just Telstra with the sneaky charges maybe?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Browser that's very concerning I am sorry this is happening. I can only recommend speaking with Mobile Faults directly on 13 22 00 24x7 to take a look into this with you. I'm sure we'll be able to get some answers for you. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Confused21
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra, I am having the same issue. I turn off my data when I get home in the evenings, and only use WIFI. Why am I seeing my data deplete at midnight everynight? I do not understand this. I need some answers as it is driving me up the wall.

What if I went overseas and the data depleted as international data?

Fix it Telstra. There is obviously a problem.

Browser
Accepted Solution

Yes! Exactly, I have been trialling having my data completely turned off at all times for the last 3 weeks to test the inconvenience level of permanently having it off, low and behold there are times when data is logged to my account at midnight when data has been off for weeks, there is zero charge next to it but why is it logged to my phone at all?  I finally turned my data on after three weeks to test if any charges come through and was was charged for data usage midnight the day before I turned it back on, how is this even possible Telstra, I am done with even trying to talk to anybody about this any more! I am moving on to another provider to see if this problem is consistent with everybody or just Telstra! Not good enough!

Level 24: Supreme Being

@Bowser Any data that makes up a part of a data packet but not a full data packet is automatically charged at the end of the session time (midnight) whereas full sessions are charged through the day as the complete so that could account for part of it, also why it might be showing a nil amount on the days where no data was used. But best of luck with your new provider, most do use data packets of varying sizes and times that they close it off so if that is the cause, it might move it so you don't notice it the same way which may meet your expectations better.

@Confused21 as this is a public forum, it makes it hard to get account support here so you can try the support team as suggested by @Cas-Ra or if you weren't satisfied with the support they provided it may be worth lodging an official complaint so they can have a look into it for you, and if required escalate it to the best team to monitor and resolve it for you. http://telstra.com/complaints
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Browser
Accepted Solution

Having data turned completely off still didn’t stop data usage being logged to my account but as soon as the data was turned on even when connected to wifi and the phone not leaving the house, then the midnight charges started again, now changed to 1am for charging time. Just to test this against other service providers I changed over to another provider and 4 days into my account, still using my phone the same as always, with all my settings the same, and with my data turned on all the time, I have zero data taken from my account? I will keep watching my charges but seems like it is just Telstra with the sneaky charges maybe?
RoyGee007
Level 2: Rookie

that`s 1 reason they can rake in millions of bux profit,i wonder how many people don`t even realise they are getting Scammed.

I find this hard to believe. that this would be happening on a large scale. I have a prepaid mobile phone with Telstra. Data is turned off and in past 6 months total data usage is under 1 Mega Byte.

RoyGee007
Level 2: Rookie

doesn`t have to happen to everyone to be very profitable,imagine 1 thousand people a month getting overcharged x amount,or 5 thousand even.? just saying.Out of millions of accounts ?

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now