Highlighted
Matmcjab
Level 1: Cadet

Restrict shared data between devices

I have seven (7) devices on my account that are shared between myself and my husband, a tablet and two teenagers! At work I stumbled across a Telstra page that can limit data per device, restrict the times of usage, etc, but I cannot find it now. It was a Telstra page and Telstra support (on the phone) or Crowdsupport can't tell me anything about it. I know it can be done but I just need to find the mising link!! Smiley Surprised

At the time, I was looking at the Mobile Data Usage Meter but now I can't find it.

Any ideas? I urgently need to restrict our teenagers. This business of adding 1Gb of data for $10 has cost us about $300 this month!!! If it could be disabled, fine, but Telstra is not doing anyone any favours by just adding th data! Smiley Sad

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Restrict shared data between devices

You can use Telstra Mobile Protect to put restrictions on I believe. http://tel.st/tmp

Also it still beats the $30/GB (based on $0.03c per MB) of excess data on the previous plans.

(actaully, I just double checked and it does have time and date and abiltiy to limit what can be accessed but not data amounts...) 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Matmcjab
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you ... that's fixed up times, but apart from changing the data limits on the individual phones, is there any way to limit the data? We have 4 mobiles, a tablet and a 4GX Advanced III modem which gives us 36.5 Gb of shared data. We live 40km from the nearest regional town and the maximum we get for our home internet is 50 Gb and for that we pay $150 per month. Add all of the mobiles and it's costing us more than our rent per week!

Android phones can have a limit put in place on the phone itself, but it can be turned off. 

There is soem third party apps which did limit data usage as a parental control and require a password, I will see if I can find one of the ones I have tried - are you using iOS or Android?

It might seem a bit extreme but you can also have data barred to prevent further usage on an account level if they keep using more. If you make them more aware and get it barred when they run out of data it might remind them of limits. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now