Highlighted
my_alias
Level 2: Rookie

Should the data usage shown on my iPhone be close to my billed data usage?

Answered

My account shows daily usage of over 300Mb, and I've reset my phone's usage meter a few times and tried to compare, but I never get more than 100Mb showing when I add up all the reported usage. Done the same over a week period to try and smooth any lag, but still get billed about 3x the reported usage on the phone. I've done all the data-saving steps recommended, switching updates to wifi only etc, but no noticeable change. I'm suspicious it's cloud related, but I've switched that all to wifi only too, again no change. Should I expect the 24/7 daily, the bill page daily, and the iPhone's usage to be reasonably correlated? Or am I being overcharged?

Can I get the metadata for daily usage? Does Telstra need to explain what they have charged for if I ask for it? (I know they have the metadata, the government has asked them to keep it for years).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Should the data usage shown on my iPhone be close to my billed data usage?

Telstra knows which sites you have visited but it doesn't know which apps have used the data nor if you are using a the phone as a WiFi hot spot, what devices have use the data.
The meta data is useful because it shows what sites were visited and when.
Telstra bills you for the data used. The information required for billing for individual apps such as Foxtel Now or Netflix is handled by the respective servers (Foxtel and Netflix).
Have you checked the usage of system services?

If you want to track your total daily usage you could install the My Data Manager App from the App store. It is free and you can view total usage for period or a graph of the daily usage.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Support Team
Support Team

Hi my_alias,

Thanks for reaching out, data is always a tricky one to make sense of I believe. In regards to getting access to your data usage you'll find more on that online here  https://www.telstra.com.au/privacy/customer-access

Can I ask what tools you're using to monitor the usage from the phone & if you have a data sharing plan set-up on that service?

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

my_alias

Thanks Angela. Just using the native iPhone 8 Plus data monitoring, by app usage. There is no data sharing plan associated, other than Telstra Air access to use our home broadband allowance when available.
That metadata (sample) doesn't look much use, it only shows the time of sessions and their usage, not the apps in use or the URLs. Only a little better than the daily totals on the billing info. We don't seem to have access to the same grain as the Feds!
Support Team
Support Team

Are you looking in the section on your phone where it breaks down the data used to the apps used? It should list them in order of most data used. This of course only shows data via apps -Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

my_alias

Yep, that's right. We also have iCloud sync and iOS/App updates to only occur on wifi. What else is not being counted?

Telstra has no way of determining what apps were using the data.

On the iPhone does it show the total cellular data used for a given period including uploads? On my Android phone the the is a graph of total cellular data plus total data used over the period and I have found this matches the data usage shown within the 24/7 app and also online within over a 30 day period give or take less than 100 Megabytes.

my_alias

Does the iPhone show dated periods of usage? Not that I can spot. It shows all usage over a current period by app, but it seems to be life of the phone or since factory reset or similar. But you can reset the counter, and we've done that to attempt to measure specific day and week periods. Wish I'd done it again a few days ago, yesterday was 500Mb on the 24/7 app.
As for "Telstra has no way of determining what apps were using the data" - that surprises me. It makes me wonder why metadata would be useful to the Feds if it didn't show sites visited, apps used etc. And how can Telstra validate their billing operations/settle disputes if that is not known?
I can see I'll have to upgrade plans, but I will have a lingering resentment if I feel I have to pay for 30GB to get the 10GB my phone reports. I'm just trying to track the usage to change behaviour too, but can only account for 1/3 of it.

Accepted Solution

Telstra knows which sites you have visited but it doesn't know which apps have used the data nor if you are using a the phone as a WiFi hot spot, what devices have use the data.
The meta data is useful because it shows what sites were visited and when.
Telstra bills you for the data used. The information required for billing for individual apps such as Foxtel Now or Netflix is handled by the respective servers (Foxtel and Netflix).
Have you checked the usage of system services?

If you want to track your total daily usage you could install the My Data Manager App from the App store. It is free and you can view total usage for period or a graph of the daily usage.

attila3
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra doesn't know which apps have used the data nor if you are using a the phone as a WiFi hotspot.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now