CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TammyGrace92
Level 3: Gumshoe

Tumblr not working on mobile data

Hi. For some reason I can't access Tumblr on my browser when using mobile data. It works fine on my telstra ADSL, but it just won't load on mobile data. I tried clearing cookies and the cache and used my Samsung browser and chrome. I also tried on my mother's phone and the same thing happened.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Tumblr not working on mobile data

Hey TammyGrace92,

Thanks for getting into contact with us. How long has this been happening for? Can you try resetting the Network Settings on your phone to see if this works?

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JF8
Level 2: Rookie

Hi,

i'm having the same problem, havent been able to access tumblr for the last 2 days, 

tried reseting network settings and no change, 

is telstra blocking access to tumblr on mobile data?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi JF8,

Do you get the same issue when attempting to use the Tumblr app? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

JF8

Yeah i get the same result wether using the app or trying to open it via the web
Support Team
Support Team

Cheers for those details. 

I have passed this information on so that it can be investigated. 

JF8

Hello is anyone out there

this problem is still happening but feel i'm wasting my time posting anything here, 

reminds of the usual service related to anything telstra, their happy to take your money but give nothing in return, 

bring on competition i say especialky in rural areas where i am

i hope they legislate complusary roaming so i can shop around for service!

g-p-k

Can confirm this issue.

• Also on Telsta mobile.
  • This is using a Telstra WiFi 4G Advanced Box Pro X with DHCP set to auto/auto.
  • tumblr.com "tries" to load, times out eventually. This happens on all devices (laptop, tablets, phones) and different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge).
  • tumblr.com seems to load outside of Telstra; for instance one can view it through Google Translate. (If I had access to other networks e.g. ADSL I would test, but sadly I do not.)
  • Other Tumblr sites work correctly e.g. telstra.tumblr.com
  • This has been an issue for a few days. Started around 23 Dec (approximate).

Could this be related to DDoS attacks on Tumblr earlier this month? (Not sure why that might be related, seems worth mentioning.)

JF8

Would be good to know if it was a telstra problem or a tumblr problem, 

but seeing as tumblr wont load its a bit hard to check with them 

i too did wonder wether it was linked to the ddos earlier this month but haven't been able to find any mention of that anywhere 

g-p-k

Just to add on to the above:

• I do not think this is a DNS issue as the list of IPs I get from nslookup match the Google Dig results.
  • HTTP GET requests to www.tumblr.com yield 502 errors.
    [Fiddler] The connection to 'www.tumblr.com' failed.
    Error: TimedOut (0x274c).
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 69.147.83.16:80
    (I am using Fiddler.)
  • Pings to www.tumblr.com all time out
    (But pings to tumblr.com work correctly.)
MayaTaylorL

I've been having the same issue no matter where I am and its only on telstra mobile. I've done just about every fix in the book and I'm really getting sick of this, its been almost six days now.
Very seriously considering optus.
JF8

Good luck to you if you have an option of changing away from telstra, 

I wouldnt hesitate to change carriers if i could,

i'm in a rural area and am stuck with telstra only, 

does anyone know if telstra monitor this site or is it just a warm fuzzy provided by telstra to claim they provide customer service?

andrewbarnett
Level 1: Cadet

Same here. Works on Telstra ADSL but not 4G. Seems roughly coincident with the DDOS outage.
JF8

Has anyone managed to resolve this issue

looking like it might time to waste a day or 2 trying  to resolve the problem by calling telstra, 

Dagman28

I have same problem on mobile since Xmas day. Tried with a VPN and it works. Looks like a Geo block on Tumblr by Telstra.
JF8

After 2 phone calls to telstra and contacting them via twitter, i'm no closer to resolving this problem, 

they are supposevly investigating it !!!

the service sucks to put it mildly, it doesn't help dealing with a call centre in a different country

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All, 

We are investigating this issue as we speak, and will get back to you all as soon as we have a resolution 

Kind Regards 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All 

As a tumblr lurker myself I have noticed it appears to be a timeout of getting to the dashborad but it doesn't appear to have any issue going to a specific URL such as https://minusinfinite.tumblr.com or https://underlineau.tumblr.com/ - just as examples.

No idea personally as to why it timesout attempting to get to dashboard myself though

-- // --
Ex Telstra Employee - 2010 - 2017

Views I express on this forum are personal and will be in an attempt to offer support as needed.

There can be times when I will offer views or opinions on topics. These do not and should not reflect on anyone but myself and do not reflect upon Telstra in anyway
anthonyurl

I'm inclined to agree that it's geo-blocking of some sort. On my same 4G device, I can't connect to my US VPN, but I can connect to my company's other regional VPNs.

MayaTaylorL

Is there still no fix to this? It's been almost two weeks - this is getting old. Tumblr works on literally every other service except telstra mobile. 

Probably just going to switch to optus...

bmedia

Been having the same problem since about Christmas Day. Tumblr videos won't load at all when I'm on Telstra 4G but as soon as I switch to TPG internet via wifi, they work. Seems to be some type of block by Telstra.

Interestingly Telstra began blocking pirate sites such as Pirate Bay at the same time. Telstra please investigate and resolve this immediately as this is sterting to get ridiculous.
JF8

Good luck with hoping that telstra might do something to resolve this issue, so far i have called them twice, filled in an online form, contacted them via twitter and posted here numerous times

i have had the follwing responses, 

its not a problem with telstra 

we are aware of it and are looking into it

have you tried reseting this and that

i feel we are all wasting our time as they dont seem to believe that there is a problem

if it is their problem i expect a big fat discount on my bill especially as they are claiming its not their problem

bring on competition in rural areas so i can change carriers!

mycourts

I have been trying everything I can think of to get this fixed however I note that my Tumblr account appears to have been hacked as there are posts on it that were definitely not posted by me. I accessed my tumblr web site via US based web proxy providers and even then I was unable to bring up the tumblr login screen. It seems to me that Tumblr have in fact blocked my account - at least my IP address access as I am unable to even create a new account.

Given this started at the time that Tumblr itself was hacked and Tumblr Support (if it exists) have not responded (apart from automated responses) to requests for help then I believe the issue is in fact Tumblr themselves blocking selected IP's or geolocations in an attempt to prevent further DNS based attacks.

I also doubt if Tumblr could even care if Telstra's IP's were being blocked.

This is just my two bits worth but the end result is again that Telstra don't appear to care.

andrewbarnett

3 weeks now…

I'm beginning to believe that it's Tumblr that is blocking Telstra mobile traffic. And good luck getting any response from Tumblr, especially after the sale to Verizon.

Pmr1

Appears to have finally be fixed for me.
TammyGrace92
Level 3: Gumshoe

Oops. I totally forgot I asked this. Sorry. And I'm amazed this was an Australia wide telstra issue. It started working today for me again maybe around 3:30 in the afternoon. What on earth happened and why did it take so long to resolve is what I want to know.
andrewbarnett

Fixed! Woo!

Thank you.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now