Highlighted
Love_T
Level 1: Cadet

Unexplained data usage using BIGPOND Aircard 782S.

I have used BIGPOND Aircard  782S for couple of years on 4GB contract and from time to time I have had hits of unexplained data usage. I try to avoid video streaming, Skype, Viber etc. services.  

I have visited Telstra Shop and I have been advised to upgrade my service from Bigpond to Telstra and share my data with my Telstra phone. This upgrade gave me 10.5GB of shared data. I have been told that I can use new Telstra SIM card in Bigpond 782S with external antenna for better coverage.  It worked OK except I could not get DATA USAGE info from the device. Unexplained data usage still persists and even more severe. I get hits of 0.5GB -3GB from time to time. I  have installed monitoring software on my devices connected, 3G Watchdog on two Android devices and BitMeter on my PC and I could not account and explain excess data usage.

Now the good news!

I have turned off Aircard  782S and now I am using only my mobile phone in Tethering Mode and now it is almost one week and can account almost for every bit. 

My question to you is:

Is there a problem with  BIGPOND Aircard 782S and extra data usage? I like to use Aircard 782S when we are travelling because of external antenna capablity and also it has Telstra Blue Tick for better coverage.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Unexplained data usage using BIGPOND Aircard 782S.

@LOVE_Telstra,

Not aware of any issues specific to the device, although in order for usage to occur, it must be requested from the network.
I would suggest contacting the Billing Team directly and lodging a Data Usage Dispute (DUD) so that the data can be investigated.

You can contact the team either by phone on 13 22 00 or via Live Chat.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Love_T
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Unexplained data usage using BIGPOND Aircard 782S.

I think the problem is solved.  I have turned off BIGPOND Aircard 782S with Telstra SIM card (not Bigpond SIM card) and now I am using Telstra phone and I can account for all data now.  I think that BIGPOND Aircard 782S.was trying to update firmware, but because it had Telstra SIM card it has failed to update and therefore it downloaded firmware again and again... using data. This is my theory anyway...

If this is the case.  please let Telstra dealers know that Bigpond device in not compatible with  Telstra device.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now