ssll90
Level 2: Rookie

Why has data sharing been dropped from new mobile plans?

Answered

Why has $5 per month data sharing been dropped from new mobile plans?

What cost effective alternate plans are being offered?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Why has data sharing been dropped from new mobile plans?

Hi there

We have opted to move toward removing excess data charges, and a 'limitless' data alternative. Due to the nature of these services, we saw the need to remove data sharing, as sharing data with an unlimited service, could lead to network congestion.

Just to confirm, if you currently have data sharing, your services will not be changed, unless you request so.

As for a cheap data alternative, personally I would recommend looking into pre-paid mobile broadband here: https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles

Let me know what further questions you have for me.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi there

We have opted to move toward removing excess data charges, and a 'limitless' data alternative. Due to the nature of these services, we saw the need to remove data sharing, as sharing data with an unlimited service, could lead to network congestion.

Just to confirm, if you currently have data sharing, your services will not be changed, unless you request so.

As for a cheap data alternative, personally I would recommend looking into pre-paid mobile broadband here: https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles

Let me know what further questions you have for me.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ssll90

Will

Thanks for replying.

However, seriously, cutting $5 data sharing across multiple devices has nothing to do with concerns over network congestion but everything to do with a revenue grab.

The throttled speed on the ‘peace of mind’ plans and ‘fair usage policies’ ensures that there can be no network congestion problems from maintaining the existing $5 data sharing feature on the new plans.

You really shouldn’t mislead customers with spurious reasons and should truthfully explain why the shared device feature has been removed!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Our XXL plan features unlimited mobile data, which is not capped at any point, unlike our other plans, which do offer the speed shaping, as you mentioned.

An XXL mobile plan with 4-5 data share sims, who all shared unlimited data, would certainly cause network congestion issues. If not, this would trigger the fair use policy. We do attempt to make it difficult for customers to be in violation of the fair use policy, as we don't like having to enforce it.

I apologise if it seems I was being deceptive, however I probably didn't explain in better detail.

I hope this clears things up.

- Will

ssll90

Will

We're obviously not going to reach agreement on this matter!

But seriously, the only unrestricted unlimited data plans that I can see as being available are at $199 per month - and only when a phone is purchased or leased.

All other plans including sim only plans have data limits on them - albeit with 'peace of mind' (ie speed throttled extra data).

So, again if the concern is genuinely about network congestion why not limit data sharing only on the unrestricted unlimited plan - and not all plans?

The shared data plan has been useful to me in enabling me to use 4G on an iPad independent from my phone at a reasonable cost of $5 per month. I guess I'll now have to tether my iPad to my phone to achieve the same connectivity and save the $5 per month!

Not a real commercial benefit to Telstra; but, an inconvenience to me and I'm sure many other customers.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now