Highlighted
wolfie870
Level 2: Rookie

excessive data usage iPhone 5

Answered

I have had my iPhone 5 on a Telstra contract since late last year. I am on a 1gb cap

After being with Optus for 2 years with an iPhone 4, I averaged my monthly data usage to be 300mb with a max of 500mb. this was much less than my 2gb cap so I thought 1gb on a Telstra plan would be perfectly fine.

I soon however discovered that my data usage went up considerably... every month so far I have had to severely limit my usage around half way through the month which is extremely annoying. It is not a case of being on 4g and not realising I’m using more as I do not live or work in a 4G area.

I am also on Wi-Fi 90% of the time but this doesn’t seem to matter.

I have seen several complaints of the same issue with Telstra on the iPhone 5 and with other carriers. Is there a solution being worked on?

I don’t think it is an acceptable solution to simply tell a user to turn off cellular data as it is clearly constantly downloading in the background when locked or even when on Wi-Fi… 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Re: excessive data usage iPhone 5

HI All

Being an avid Apple iPhone fan since its initial release here in Australia, i thought i would way in to get my comments in.

The problems suggested within this thread is not a Telstra Issue nor is it a hardware issue either, the issues that people are having are in relation to iOS7. Since the release of this operating software there have been multiple issues in regards to increasing data rates.
i have had my iPhone 5 since its release in the country and had moved from Optus to Telstra this time around. I had been with iOS6 for the period until iOS7 was release and never even came close to reaching my quota (sat around the 200-400MB mark) and at that time i hadnt even been using my works WiFi cause well 4G was quicker lol.
once the release of iOS7 i was quick to update and probably within the first week i received my first ever message that i had reached 50% of my quota.

Now with all that said along with iOS7 along came the amount of issues in regards to data consumption.
If you havnt already please go read my sticky thread at the top or link here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/iOS7-Minimising-Data-Usage-Tips/td-p/233217
these are some of the tweaks that i use to minimise my data consumption and so far has worked like a charm. Right now occasionally receive the 50% SMS but very rarely receive any other msg about my data consumption.

Once you have done that then please read my signature! This is NOT a Telstra Problem. people are quick to blame without knowing the facts. Data consumption since the release of iOS7 has been plaguing all telecommunication companies not only Telstra. So in reality people on Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone are having the same problem, how is it Telstra's issues. Sounds like people are just trying to get something free when they are pointing the finger at the wrong people...
Head over to the Apple forums and see the amount of threads since the release of iOS7 in regards to the data consumption...

Lastly i would strongly recommend updating your phone to the latest iOS which is now 7.1.1 all updates patch, fix and plug up problems within the iOS.

Good luck to everyone who are having issues...
Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
41 REPLIES
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi wolfie870

when you are on WI-if but have not turned off cellular data, the handset reverts back to cellular data after 15 min when it goes into sleep mode and its not plugged to power. If possible have a look through your handset and turn off the following;

- Advertising (Switch on Limit Ad Tracking)
- Diagnostics & Usage (Don't Send)
- Notifications - turn off notifications that you don't need eg stock list
- Location Services

Hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

steve001
Level 1: Cadet

Can someone from Telstra contact me regarding this.
I asked if this was an issue when i bought the phones and was told no such issue exists.
My wife and i BOTH had IPHONE 5 with OPTUS previously and never had any dramas.
we only changed away from the better optus plans because of lack of coverage in our area.
so its not an apple or IOS problem.
We both have had warnings come up from using excess data and added data packs which are costing a fortune for a Telstra problem.
it also shouldn't be a speed prioritising issue either as we have Bigpond adsl2+ wifi 5g at home.
we both have had iPhones from day one and know how to turn off push settings large email display iMessage FaceTime location services notifications, diagnostics and restrict app data usage.
Please rectify this situation! iphones both on 6.1.4...
What is the purpose of having a smart phone if i have to restrict
it to the capabilities of a shoe???
wolfie870

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I had already gone through everything you had suggested.

Is there any ETA on a resolution? it's really frustrating having to be constantly switching cellular data off and on...

I just came back from a short holiday and being close to 100% usage I was unable to use maps freely, look up restaurants, send photos etc. At the rate my data seems to rack up, excess usage charges would be ridiculous.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a smart phone if I essentially have to manually switch the 'smart' function on and off...

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi wolfie870,

i have sent you a private message. please have a look at your inbox.

-Victor

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

willisgt

Hi Victor

I am having the exact same problem and I'm getting annoyed.  When my phone, and 2 others in my name goes to sleep, they switch from wifi at home to 3G, and are racking up the data usage, even when we are asleep.  I don't think turning data off all the time is a solution, why do I have a smart phone?  If you could let me know why this is happening, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tracey

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi willisgt,

Unfortunately, what is hapenning in regards to the handset going from wifi to 3G is a handset  feature and nothing to do with the network. This mainly happens as a battery saving feature so i would suggest you keep the handset plugged into power to stop the "kickdown to 3G" from hapenning.

-Victor

willisgt

I plug my handset in every night and it still happens. See a sample of my usage. 24 hours connected to 3G?

Sun 07 Jul 2013 12:11 PM 983kB 24:00:28 telstra.internet Included
Sat 06 Jul 2013 11:56 AM 906kB 24:07:28 telstra.internet Included
Sat 06 Jul 2013 08:56 AM 451kB 02:59:40 telstra.internet Included
Fri 05 Jul 2013 12:08 PM 3.74MB 20:47:04 telstra.internet Included

Any other suggestions?
BKD

I have also had this same issue with Vodafone and an iPhone5 and have just lodged a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsmen.  Can I suggest everyone else does the same as it appears it's a far wider issue which neither Apple nor the carriers are prepared to take responsibility for nor to provide answers to it.

scylla

Unfortunately, I have recently experienced the same phenomenon - massive data charges as a result of the iphone 5 tendency to switch to telstra's service even when connected to home wifi. This is pretty outrageous - esepcially as my home wifi is from Telstra!

aavzta

Same here, very frustrating.

Got bill shock last month, 1.2Gb over. Excess charges to pay. If Telstra does not waive it, I'll leave the network.

20months of low usage, then with upgrade to ios7 something changed!

This month with 19 days left, I've already at 92% of 1.5Gb plan. Tried various troubleshooting suggestions by changing Settings options, nothing seems to work. Telstra's solution is to turn off cell data when not browsing is not good enough. That just fobs the problem off to customers, they call it "shared responsibility".

The problem is widespread, and Apple & Telcos need to sort it out, and provide a clear solution to their customers. Otherwise we should vote with our feet.

gordo

Jusy got a 5s yesterday and same thing happened to me...Being a technophobe, I bought an iPhone for its user friendliness, but wow this is not friendly!

Has there been a fix for this that us neanderthals can understand and execute?

RFC56

I don't believe a word of what Telstra is telling us. We've had iPhone 3GS for four years on 200MB and 500MB data packs and have never gone over the data limit. In November my wife's phone went over for the first time and mine got close. In December we upgraded to iPhone 5S and my wife has gone over the limit again (on the old phone in the first 16 days of Dec). This time due to the 200MB data pack being removed from the account by a Telstra consultant. A $90+ charge on the bill for 45MB of data, that should have been covered by the missing data plan.

I've been told to turn off cellular data when using wi-fi. My response is "why, when we have not done so for 4 years and never had a problem". It seems to me that Telstra are just trying to sell more data packs (they sold me one yesterday to remove the excess data). Given that my wife's data usage was 45MB in 16 days, this is wrong of Telstra to blame the cellular data / wi-fi problem, when it was their fault we we charged for the data.

This morning the consultant told me we have a history of excess data usage, when we've gone over once in 4 years and again because they removed a data pack without permission. I'm extremely annoyed with their "not Telstra's fault" attitude when we've been using them for 4 years without any issues.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I appreciate that you feel this is an issue at Telstra's end, however we have checked numerous times for a systemic issue that could cause the complaints about usage we received and nothing was found. We are absolutely happy to continue investigating all customer complaints, however we do ask that members review their own usage too. This is a two way street and the only way a solution can be found is by working together.

Every new software version, every new generation of smartphone handset introduces new features (I mean, why upgrade if it didnt?). Each of these features has the potential to use data. Often customers over time, without changing their usage habits, will find actual data usage on the account increase.

For example, Background App Refresh. This is a new feature of iOS 7 that allows applications to update their data whilst minimised in the system tray. The reason for this feature is it allows multi-tasking (using multiple apps at once). A side effect of this is if you leave Facebook app running in the back ground (as an example) it will download ALL content that gets posted to your wall progressively throughout the day instead of just when you look at it. Another example, customers who use map apps as GPS. Left running in the background it will download map information and track you as you move around ALL day, constantly using data.

Both of the above will result in a significant increase in usage without any change in user behaviour. For tips on iOS 7 check out this article;

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles-KB/Manage-Your-Data-Usage-on-iOS7/ta-p/200795

I strongly advise mobile phone users to become familiar with the features of their device as it can help to avoid nasty shocks when the bill arrives. Most phones allow you to disable/enable network access on an app by app basis. Most phones provide you with usage break downs on an app by app basis (if not there are apps like Onavo Count to do this for you).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Hi All

Im sorry but im gonna have to side with Telstra on this, i work in IT and our company always deal direct with Telstra we basically buy all our phones and tablets including services through Telstra. I must admit in odd cases we have had clients were there data has gone over the allowance and have seen the activity statements to see any crazy anomalies where some sessions have gone for 18hours etc. (hell even some of my sessions have lasted for 18hours which is sometimes real weird.

but putting these odd cases aside 90% of our uses that do go over the allowance is because of not knowing on what they are doing and downloading large amounts of data, which includes apps, movies, music etc. etc. now a majority of the users are not all that IT savvy and we have seen that once their childrens or family get a hold of their phones that is when these "weird" things seem to happen.

i would strongly suggest that you look into what the phone is doing before blaming the easy culprit. I have seen a lot of these type of issues but a simple google search can show you how a lot of these background settings can be modified to drop down your usage.

I myself am a switched on user of the iPhone, been using since the 3G was available in Adelaide, but i have only ever come close to reaching my quota once and that was in the first month right after iOS7 was released and that was only because i had allowed iPhone apps to be able to be downloaded over cellular data (my mistake). but since then i have found it hard to crack over the 1GB limit.

Yeah the new iOS chews data like crazy but it is manageable with a few tips and tricks. The best option i can recommend is use WiFi when ever you can, most places now days have WiFi even the Adelaide city has free wifi for all users. your next best option is to turn off Background App Refresh and also Location Services and only allow anything that you actually want to allow.

the last option is to see what each app is chewing up and turn off what is not needed. for me my top 3 apps that chew up the most amount of data is Facebook, Instagram, iMessage
im sure that all users here are using all 3 apps but really take a minute to see what you are doing on those apps and try to minimise the usage. dont forget sending a picture through iMessage yeah avoids the MMS cost but have you actually seen the sizes your iPhone takes? on an iPhone5 the average size is about 2MB. send 10pics thats 20MB. now look at the 5s or the 5c with a better camera guaranteed the pictures are larger...

end of the day you need to be cautions in what you are using the phone for, either that or up your plan.

my 2 cents worth...

like i have said before i dont work for Telstra i just provide help and opinions on information that i know. If you dont want to hear it please let me know and then all i can say is good luck and you're on your own.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
DaveG

got charged over 2 GB all in one morning - Never used that much in a month much less in a day -  in 5 years of being a teltra customer - with 2 phones.

Went to Telstra shop in Morley Western Australia & the lady said it was a known issue with Iphone 5 , but she couldn't do anything about it and to call the Telstra number. So i called the number and basically was told it was my phones problem.

I too am on wifi only at home - i was not ever made aware by the Testra shop that i bought the phone from of any possiblity of this happening. That was only in December.  (Funny how the same Telstra shop was able to sell me a phone was the same one that told me they couldn't help me with this problem!)

I did manage to get an additional 1GB extra but  alas, I remain at 96% usage with pretty much a whole month left. And a $60 extra bill....

So even it if is my  phone's "settings" Telstra has a duty of care and are not willing to aknowlege it. 

This is one fine example of terrible customer service.  Should be in a textbook.

Hey there DaveG
have a look at this thread, it may help you with keeping your iPhone data usage down. I did have this problem when i first installed the latest iOS7 on an iPhone5 but have managed to keep it down to 1GB easily per month.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/iOS7-Minimising-Data-Usage-Tips/td-p/233217

Cheers
DaveG

Thanks for the info.  I am all over it now - phone pretty much all shut off for any kind of data usage..

I still firmly believe Telstra is neglecting to properly address the situation. Technically they may not be at fault but the data usage and subsequent charges, I suspect,  are unanticipated to the average telstra/apple customer.

totally understandable i was the same when i first upgraded to the iOS7. pre iOS7 i was averaging 400-600MB in data per month, after the update i am now averaging 1GB per month. this is why its safe to say that Telstra basically have no say in it and in reality cant be held accountable etc.

The OS is an Apple product so in reality Apple are to blame (well i at least blame them) there were so many issues once this OS came out and thats why they had to plug it 4 times since its release. hopefully this will be plugged with the upcoming 7.1 release.

The problem these day is you have to have a look at how your phone is being used as well. for me at the end of last month i reset the settings on my phone at the beginning of my month period to see how i use the phone to get a better idea on what im doing etc. im actually 8 days out from it ticking over the 1 month and i have already downloaded 677MB in data, which for me is so weird. but from looking at all the apps that i use there are some there i didnt even know that it was downloading, but in reality if you think about it some apps that have pop up and ads technically you are downloading data.

my biggest app chewing up 40% of my downloaded data is Facebook (standard) next from there is iMessage chewing up about 10% so far. An other thing you have to think about are the app being created and being used we as consumers dont have a lot of control on how the developers are making these apps and what they set to how it gets used with mobile data etc. but we do have the ability to stop specific apps from accessing data, i just went through and stopped 5 apps right now that dont require data but are using it, funny enough they were all games!

i know this is all just talk etc. but the problem is that once something goes wrong we are all quick to start pointing the finger but i think in reality we need to see exactly who is at fault that is why i think at this point of time Telstra aint at fault its Apple that have created such a buggy operating system with unfortunate holes.

i would strongly suggest reseting your data usage on your phone in Settings > Mobile /Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom and reset the statistics and have a quick look and see what you are doing that is chewing up your data. Quite possibly from there you may even be able to turn it off to stop it from chewing up all your data. its just a suggestion but you will be surprised how many apps you dont even use but is for some reason using up data.

Cheers

DaveG

So this is the example i'm talking about. All this data in a short period of time, when my phone should have been on wifi.

WTF?

davids11/01/2014 11:3372,39716:49:03telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 11:28116,0630:05:24telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 11:23119,9930:05:26telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 11:16119,9960:06:56telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 11:09120,0010:06:56telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 11:03119,9980:05:32telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:59120,0020:04:29telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:54120,0000:04:23telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:42119,9970:11:48telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:30119,9950:12:46telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:28120,0020:01:53telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:26120,0030:02:04telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:24119,9990:01:30telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:22120,0020:01:36telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:21120,0030:01:33telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:18119,9990:03:10telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:11119,9990:06:24telstra.internet
davids11/01/2014 10:06119,9990:04:53telstra.internet
davids10/01/2014 14:28128,23819:38:39telstra.internet
DaveG

While ultimately on face value what you are saying may be apparent. Buyer beware, etc , etc.

My issue is with Telstra because I purchased this phone, from a Telstra shop.. Telstra therefore is acting as somewhat of an agent for Apple in this instance and also therefore should have a duty of care with their customers if the phone they are selling me has glitches that will cause all 1.5 data (and more) on my plan to be used up so quickly.

that is all i'm saying and that is what burns me. That and Telstra's lack of concern. Hell they won't even answer any of these posts.

They let you do it for them

Anyway I'll carry on and get over with it. ride out my contract and go along my merry way with some other  company.

hmm very interesting...
ultimately with this type of proof im sure Telstra should be able to do something with it. On the other hand (sorry if you have mentioned before) what type of phone are you using?
There are some rare issues where wifi chips on phones have become faulty and even though its showing that the phone is connected to a WiFi point its actually still using data.
maybe if the phone is still under warranty see if you can get it swapped over for an other phone (the only thing left is a faulty phone), im sure if you are having this many issues Telstra may swap the phone over free of charge as in good faith.
obviously not my decision but a possibility...

Cheers
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi DaveG, I have not responded since my last post as I thought that the discussion between yourself and DuckDodgers was a good exchange that I had little additional information to contribute.

This is a community forum and the intent is to provide a space where members (mostly customers but all staff in their own time) can discuss Telstra related products and services or issues with a particular service that may or may not be covered by traditional support.

As you are concerned about your phone using data when you believe that it shouldn't I would suggest installing a usage monitoring application (or using the native one), there are free ones available on most platforms. These will allow you to identify what app is causing the usage to occur and precisely when this is happening. It is possible the app itself is faulty or designed in such a way that it somehow uses data when it shouldn't.

If your phone was indicating it was on wifi but used mobile data then it may be faulty and it would be advisable to take it in to a Telstra store so we can send it off for assessment/repair.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

DaveG

Hi have completely shutoff my cellular data, only turning it on at the time i want to look at something quickly. I then turn it off again. 

I will try your recommendation about the data monitoring, but will have to wait the 20 days i have left  as i mentioned earlier and illustrated above all my data and then some was sucked out so i have to wait the remainder of the month to avoid any additional charges. (which is already over $60 dollars)

I will attempt to go back to the Telstra store i purchased from again should I have any issues next month, hopefully they will be more customer orientated.

regards

DaveG

Hi

its an Iphone 5S purchased last December.

I appreciate your comments. I know your trying to help out here.

hopefully i'll get some assistance with Telstra about it.

thanks

if its a 5S take it back dude, or head to an Apple Store and they may even swap it for you on the spot. Take them your bill show them the sessions. you could seriously have a faulty iPhone (can happen cause they are a mass produced product) they could send it away and get you a refurbished but will be a 99.9% fully functioning phone.
There were original issues when the 5S came out that although using WiFi it actually wanst using WiFi but the mobile data instead. but i know this was a software thing...

Good Luck DaveG really hope you get this fixed!
Cheers
techchall

I am in tears... 3 years of having an Phone 4 with a 500 mb cap and NEVER once coming close to using it.   I got the IPhone 5S as a gift for Christmas and swapped over boxing day.  By December 31st I had an excess usage charge of $136 !!!! I am in no way tech savvy. I called Telstra to be told it's not their problem. Turn off my cellular.  When I called I was already at 60% usage for January !!!! Ludicrous ! I purchased an additional 250 mb for $5 yet it doesn't show up on my account.  NOw I have my cellular off at all times. I only turn it on and off quickly when I need to check something. How ridiculous.  - I am totally at a loss.  Smiley Embarassed

Hi All
I did come across an article a couple of days ago and from what they have found the 5S has shown a 100% increase in users data compared to the 4S.
they also included in the article that Apple have identified the fault (but will never admit to it) and hope to have fixed with the next iOS which they predict to be fixed in March.

techchall i recommend that you read my sticky article http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/iOS7-Minimising-Data-Usage-Tips/td-p/233217
may help you out with minimising your data use, but remember that it may just MINIMISE it quite possibly wont fix it, sorry...

Thanks
techchall

Thanks Duckdodges,

I went to your link and followed all of your suggestions. I will monitor my usage over the next week. As money is tight for me and I can't handle any more excess data usage charges, nor can I up my plan,  I may just have to go back to my iPhone 4 if this quick wins don't help. Damn shame as I love my Iphone 5s. Thanks agaon for your help Smiley Happy 

ajs123

Just coming into this data usage saga with my son's iPhone 4S.

Data usage shot all of a sudden the last three months - the prior 10 months (with a 1GB cap) there was never a data charge. Now in one month we had $110 and in anothe rmonth $208.

For Telstra to say its not their problem is CRAP.

They must explain their charges - they know when the data usage happened and they know where it went to or came from - they supply this data to ASIO when asked!!!

They also need to be a lot more transparent with the different smart mobile devices they now sell - they must help their customers avoid rouge data usage from rouge applications - by helping the customers put caps on usage that actually switch off the data usage.

Wi-Fi is every where and there must be setting that states - do not use cellular if Wi-Fi available - you tick this if you want.

There must be settings that state - turn off celluar data if xxGB reached. Also - the ISP's are able to send you an SMS saying 50% reached, 75% reached, 100% reached - they should continue; Data usage $20 chagred, Data usage $40 chagred, Data Usage $60 charged etc every $20 - so that a customer can take action before they get a bloddy bill at $208 for data usage they have no idea where it came from.

At present there is a bit of misleading bull**bleep** going on - and dishonest money being made.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ajs123

Firstly, we have a 24x7 app that users can download onto their device to check their usage on the go, so your son can use that. You can also have this app set up on one of your personal devices, so you can view it yourself via the app, or you could sign into My Account on the internet to check this.

You can also set up email notifications about usage limits, so that you are also emailed when he is SMS'd with usage notifications so you can ensure that he doesn't continue to use data once he starts to receive notifications. You can set this up via My Account online. 

Between SMS notifications, Email notifications, Apps, and access to data usage online, dialling #100#, SMSing Use to 176,  there are enough ways of checking data usage that you can ensure that you are across the amount of usage used and these charges aren't incurred. 

The iPhone also offers a usage meter under the Cellular menu. You simply need to reset this at the start of each billing period, and it will show you exactly which apps are using the cellular data on the phone and how much they have used, so this information is obtainable on your son's device, he just needs to make use of it.

You can also disable apps from using Cellular data in this menu, so that you can ensure that these apps will only work whilst using WiFi connections. 

And no, we do not have detailed usage history available. Just as we can't listen to your phone calls to prove that you were the person who made them, we can't look at your Internet usage. It can be arranged with the appropriate warrants etc giving us permission to do so however this is not standard in any way, shape or form. 

Dani15

I do not usually add to forums but the issues I am having with my 5s have got me so frustrated that I am at boiling point.

Since getting my 5s in Oct last year I have had nothing but issues with my data usage. My previous iphone had 3.5gb of data and I only OCCASIONALLY hit my limit because I was studying at the time and I felt that use was warranted. I pay $30 extra to have 4gb of data and I hit the limit in 2 weeks!!!! Most of the time I have hit my limit I turn my data off and go without for two weeks. What this means is no internet and I don't receive half of my text messages. I called about the issue and got told to turn off my cellular data which is not a good enough answer!!! If someone sends me a message I never receive it, what is the point in having a phone!!?

This month I hit 108% in 2 weeks again and I am fed up!!!! I have been through and turned off things that are recommended to reduce data usage and I looked in my usage meter and found 7x 117mb data used in 7 minutes (which is also an issue if you google 'telstra 117mb')... That's nearly 1gb of data in 7 minutes!!!!! HOW is that even possible! They are all 40 second blocks too which is very unusual, it doesn't take a heinous to figure out that something is not right with that.

I went into Telstra, they sent me to Apple to run diagnostics, Apple found a potential leak in Safari which they wiped my phone and fixed.. I wake up this morning with a huge jump in data again!!! I call telstra and they blame Apple! Then the guy in the telstra store asked billing if my previous months' bills could be refunded for the extra data over my limit I have paid for and they said they will only go back 3 months!! That's is absolutely disgraceful customer service when there is obviously some sort of fault.

This is not good enough! I am being sent backwards and forwards and wasting so much time talking to people who do not know what to do with me. Someone needs to own up to this and give us a solution because I refuse to buy any more data when it is clear that my phone/ the network has a glitch. How about telstra send a blanket email to customers to help us instead of saying 'gobble gobble where is your data going' and tell us to buy more data!!!! This issue is obviously bigger than people accidentally going over their limit. All you have to do is google it to realise that there are many others with the same problem. I also hate that there is no apologies from telstra, whether it's your issue or apples, we are YOUR customers and you all seem to jump at us and make out like we are idiots and to turn off certain settings in our phones.

I spoke to a helpful guy from telstra today who told me to take my phone back to telstra to get either a replacement or loan phone to see if it is a problem with the phone. He is the most help I have had from telstra so far. This experience has left me very unhappy and questioning using telstra after this.
Dani15

BTW Steph you need to take a lesson in customer service. Your message above is horrendously condescending. It's any wonder why this issue continues to be unresolved.
Accepted Solution

HI All

Being an avid Apple iPhone fan since its initial release here in Australia, i thought i would way in to get my comments in.

The problems suggested within this thread is not a Telstra Issue nor is it a hardware issue either, the issues that people are having are in relation to iOS7. Since the release of this operating software there have been multiple issues in regards to increasing data rates.
i have had my iPhone 5 since its release in the country and had moved from Optus to Telstra this time around. I had been with iOS6 for the period until iOS7 was release and never even came close to reaching my quota (sat around the 200-400MB mark) and at that time i hadnt even been using my works WiFi cause well 4G was quicker lol.
once the release of iOS7 i was quick to update and probably within the first week i received my first ever message that i had reached 50% of my quota.

Now with all that said along with iOS7 along came the amount of issues in regards to data consumption.
If you havnt already please go read my sticky thread at the top or link here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone/iOS7-Minimising-Data-Usage-Tips/td-p/233217
these are some of the tweaks that i use to minimise my data consumption and so far has worked like a charm. Right now occasionally receive the 50% SMS but very rarely receive any other msg about my data consumption.

Once you have done that then please read my signature! This is NOT a Telstra Problem. people are quick to blame without knowing the facts. Data consumption since the release of iOS7 has been plaguing all telecommunication companies not only Telstra. So in reality people on Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone are having the same problem, how is it Telstra's issues. Sounds like people are just trying to get something free when they are pointing the finger at the wrong people...
Head over to the Apple forums and see the amount of threads since the release of iOS7 in regards to the data consumption...

Lastly i would strongly recommend updating your phone to the latest iOS which is now 7.1.1 all updates patch, fix and plug up problems within the iOS.

Good luck to everyone who are having issues...
Plo9y

This is rubbish,

For the past year and a bit I have had the same plan and phone (iPhone 4S).I have never once received a 50% warning but as of the start of this year January 2014 I now receive a warning roughly 6 days in every single month. I have since, in April changed my phone to the new 5s, and the same thing is happening. This by all counts is a Telstra issue. 

Every time I ask a Telstra employee why my data usage has been accelerated I receive the same ridiculous answer 

“Do you have the Telstra 24/7 application?"

This ridiculous app is not a justification to this scam. As I see it now it costs me $130 for the phone and my plan every month. I go over just enough to warrant the purchase of an additional 3gb of data for $30 coincidental?   Before January this year this never happened.

DuckDodgers please refrain from answering on behalf of Telstra, as you have stated previously you are not affiliated with Telstra and therefore have no rights to comment on the validity of this problem.

End.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Plo9y

This is CrowdSupport which is as the name suggests, a forum for people to assist each other, so it is exactly the intended purpose for other people to respond to you when you post here. We moderate and answer when required,  and actually the information that DuckDodgers has provided is exactly what we would tell you for this enquiry type. If you have a look around the forum you'll see the same on other threads about this particular question. Your question has been answered, however if you have further concerns please feel free to contact Telstra Mobile Support directly on 13 22 00 and say Mobile Assurance 24x7 Smiley Happy

Plo9y

Thank you for your speedy response Cas_Telstra,

Firstly nobody else posting here was not looking for DuckDogers Support we were looking for a response to why our data usage has been accelerated on the Telstra network. As other have stated they were with other networks and did not experience this same phenomenon.

Others have also posted up usage charts validating their current phone usage overnight and Telstra has not provided an explanation to any of these issue but has rather let DuckDogers talk about issues he really has no idea about. (Sorry to attack you DuckDodgers but unless you can show me your Telstra network engineers certified certificate I don’t see how you can contribute to this issue)

As you have conceded the general consensus is that there are a lot of posts about the same issue 

“If you have a look around the forum you'll see the same on other threads about this particular question."

This means you acknowledge there is an issue as of the start of this year?

I’ll rephrase my question, what has changed and why are we using more data for the same conditions as previous, if nothing has changed?

Thank you

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Plo9y,

The primary intention of CrowdSupport is as a discussion community for Telstra customers. It is not a primary Telstra customer service channel, although the moderators here will intervene and offer assistance directly to community members in some instances.

If you believe there is a fault with regard to your service when it comes to data usage, I would suggest contacting mobile faults on 13 22 00 and asking them to investigate it for you.

Plo9y

I guess I should be happy that although you avoided my question in its entirety, you also never asked me if I had Telstra 24/7 installed. Smiley Very Happy

Hey Plo9y...

go read my signature... i provide help out of the goodness of my heart and because i have been in the situations that everyone has been in.
The reason why i stopped posting for so long is because every here is quick enough to point the finger at everyone else because they are unhappy and looking for a hand out.

so here goes, if you dont like the fact that you aren't getting what you want like a free month off your bill then leave and go to an other provider and cop the same issue. what you cant get through your head is that this is not a telstra issue this is an Apple and iOS issue.
instead of just bitching and whining leave and move to a different provider.

i really dont get it this forum and the people posting on here is by far the most annoying crap i have ever read in my life. so many questions that are the EXACT same over and over. These are forums people, a place to come and get help, by anyone not just Tesltra employee it open to all Telstra users and not to be attacked by the most random of idiots in Australia...

All i hear from you Plo9y is on my iPhone 4 or 4S which you probably never updated to iOS7, and never had any problems. then you buy a new 5S with the latest iOS and all of sudden Telstra are screwing you all by charging us more money.
Seriously unless you are a certified Apple iOS developer or work directly for Telstra you shouldnt be doing the same and attacking me. so go back to your post and read it before attacking everyone else on the forums.

So lets list the facts Plo9y
-you have iPhone 4S
-more than likely running iOS6
-never go over data quota
-you get new iPhone 5S
-guaranteed running iOS7 (factory iOS)
-you go over your quota

now from those simple dot points, who do you reckon is at fault, seriously think about it, take some time, and just study the dot point and come back and tell me what the problem is. i mean SERIOUSLY read the dot point and see what has changed and what you really think the problem is.

Lastly again dont attack me, like my signature says if you DONT want my help disregard my post. i post on here so that maybe the 99.9% of the people on here i can help them out. enough said.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi All,

It looks like tempers are getting a bit frayed at the moment. Lets try to stay on topic so we can continue the conversation Smiley Happy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Wongai64,

Certainly not a good experience to hear about.

Your data usage issue needs to be investigated by our billing team as you're disputing data usage. I'd strongly suggest contacting the billing team to escalate this data usage discrepancy further so our team can investigate to find out what is going on there.

You can reach them via 13 22 00 and say "billing" or via live chat : https://livechat.telstra.com/TCOM:ContactUs:Bill

-Matt W

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more