CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
skidmond
Level 1: Cadet

how can I prevent excess data being charged

Answered

hi all

my daughters mobile (which I pay for) is being charged for excess data usage. how can I prevent this form occurring (other than taking the phone off her). id like to set it up so that once she gets to her max data usage, it stops and she no longer has any data to use rather than being charged $10 for every GB over...... is this possible??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: how can I prevent excess data being charged

Extra Data is not something that can be disabled I'm afraid.

There are 3 ways, two of which require a bit of intervention on your behalf.

Contact Telstra when you want to block her access to data and get them to bar data. Then at the start of the billing month, contact them again to unbar.

Manage the service and apply the highest level of filtering via Mobile Protect to curtail her abiliy to use data when you think she has used enough.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/user-guides-help/telstra-mobile-protect

Third and probably the best way, if at all possible put her on prepaid. Then she has a set limit, if she exhausts it then too bad kiddo until the next month/recharge rolls around.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Extra Data is not something that can be disabled I'm afraid.

There are 3 ways, two of which require a bit of intervention on your behalf.

Contact Telstra when you want to block her access to data and get them to bar data. Then at the start of the billing month, contact them again to unbar.

Manage the service and apply the highest level of filtering via Mobile Protect to curtail her abiliy to use data when you think she has used enough.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/user-guides-help/telstra-mobile-protect

Third and probably the best way, if at all possible put her on prepaid. Then she has a set limit, if she exhausts it then too bad kiddo until the next month/recharge rolls around.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
skidmond
Level 1: Cadet

thanks Kalak. I will be moving her to a prepaid plan when the contract expires early 2018. This is the first time she has exceeded her data allowance so I will cut her some slack and see how the next few months go but I may have to take some action if it keeps up month after month.

thanks again

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If it is an Android phone, you can go in to the settings for Mobile Data and then tell it to put an alert when it reaches a certain point and then to cut off mobile data when it reaches another set amount.

The down side is she can just go in and turn this off, but in my household that would be grounds for losing the phone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now