CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jojo13
Level 1: Cadet

unexplained data useage

Yesterday afternoon my home internet had slowed to a snails pace. Wondering what was going on I checked My Account and imagine my horror when I saw this, my TV  and/or foxtel is NOT connected to the internet and I was maybe on my laptop for maybe 2 - 3 hours max on and off, not doing anything differently at than what I have done in the past.

Is there any explanation for this...considering the roll over was the 4th April 2014.

4 Apr 2014Chargeable usageFree usage128341620   
05 Apr 2014Chargeable usageFree usage888599467   
06 Apr 2014Chargeable usageFree usage520996190   
07 Apr 2014Chargeable usageFree usage476114647657

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: unexplained data useage

Hi jojo13,

There could be multiple reasons for this. Whether it's regular updates in the background such as Windows or security programs updating, any torrent programs running etc.

Due to privacy we can't advise exactly what you were doing to cause the high spike in your internet usage, although if you'd like to have a chat to our team on 137663 we can walk through some possible causes and suggestions to avoid this in future

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

msminter

I have just had the same problem, but with my mobile phone. Apparently I used 50% of my data usage in one day on my phone, even though I have had to turn off my Cellular Data button because it has been sucking my battery dry. 

We live in the country where reception is marginal at best. It was explained to me that if I had used the internet via my phone at all on this one day and the signal was weak, then the data would have to reload causing more data usage. Not only had I turned the Cellular Data off, but I had also individually turned off nearly all applications. So I think it was unlikely that it was an update if I had turned my Cellular Data on.

There is no way to prove whether I had used the internet on my phone on that day or not. But I am continually frustrated by Telstra's inability to deliver adequate coverage to rural and regional customers. We are the ones who end up paying for Telstra's poor service.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi msminter,

That certainly isn't good to hear.

If your handset had mobile data toggled off during this period then it shouldn't have used data. We can certainly look into this further for you to see what we can find out.

I'll send you a private message with a form to complete so we can obtain some of your details for follow up. Once we review the form we'll be in touch to assist.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

jojo13

Just FYI Telstra have adjusted my data useage accordingly which I really appreciate. I do not run any torrent programmes and any updates be it windows or security or any other,  I get notified before any downloads commence. My security is supposed to inform me of high data useage...funnily it didn't in this instance. Oh and I always have my wifi and wlan disabled. But we rang telstra and they investigated it  and did the right thing by me so Thank you telstra.Smiley Happy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi JoJo

It's great to hear that you were able to resolve your data usage concerns so easily. 

Hoping that this doesn't occur for you in the future, although you sound like you have plenty of preventative measures on hand now

-    Lindy 

Telstra 24x7®

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now