Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Device Insider - Samsung Galaxy Note9

Hi all, 

We're excited to announce the next Device Insider for 2018! If you're new to Device Insider, we have two members from our Brains Trust program who will be getting their hands on the new Samsung Galaxy Note9. Over the coming weeks, they'll have the chance to use the new device, and will share their thoughts and reviews with the CrowdSupport community. 

This time around, we have given the devices to @Jupiter and @Smiley3 to review.

Watch this space for imminent un-boxing and updates on the ins and outs of the phone!

Please post below if you'd like @Jupiter and @Smiley3 to keep anything particular in mind when writing their reviews, or if you have any questions about the device you'd like answered.

We're looking forward to hearing their thoughts! Smiley Happy

You can find out more about the Samsung Galaxy Note9 on our website.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Device Insider - Samsung Galaxy Note9

It would be helpful if the earpiece, speaker and corded hands-free volume levels are considered, together with the ringer volume level, in a noisy environment. Also the intensity/ noise of the vibration.
Many thanks
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Level 25: The Singularity

@ProfessorPhone, I'll try and do a comparison on some of the phones that people are using in the office.

Headphone volume comparison may be a little subjective, but I may be able co-opt a couple of people and give a group opinion.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks also for the Like. Service Test mode is *#0011# so you can compare with your own phone should you want to.
Regards
PP
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Wow...the Samsung Galaxy Note 9's size is great. 

I set it up yesterday afternoon.....now just getting used to using it before I start my review. 

If you have any question's...I'll do my best to answer themSmiley Happy

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Disclaimer: I have been given a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 by Telstra free of charge to review. The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

The mobile I was using before this review was the Samsung Galaxy S8 that I was lucky enough to review last year on Crowdsupport. I have never owned or used a Note device before. I'll be comparing the Note 9 to the S8.

UN-Boxing

When I took the box out of the bubble wrap that it was posted to me in, the first thing I noticed was the Yellow S Pen picture on the front of the box. WOW....I was not expecting to receive the Ocean Blue (128GB) device....thought it would be a Black coloured device.

Resized_20180926_165355_8253.jpeg

PACKAGE CONTENT

• Device
  • USB Cable
  • Earphone
  • Spare earphone covers Ejection Pin 
  • USB Power Adaptor
  • Pen Nibs
  • Tweezers
  • Quick Start Guide
  • USB Connector (USB Type-C)

Resized_20180926_171451_4316(1).png

Samsung seem to package their mobile phone's very well. The strong box comes shrink wrapped. The charger and usb Type-C connector have plastic to remove. The Note 9 also has plastic on both sides. There's 2 tab's you pull to remove it.

I'll give you a head's up: Make sure you remove the plastic that's on the top and bottom edge's too. I was looking over the Note 9 and thought some of the blue colour had chipped off the bottom right corner near the S Pen. I thought it was from me putting it in and out of cover's when choosing a cover for it. I also noticed all along the top front edge where the glass front joins that it felt scratchy and didn't seem to line up together.

I went to the Telstra Store at Castle Plaza to see what mobile cover's and screen protector's they had for the Note 9. A nice guy named Keeghan asked if I needed any help. I asked if I could have a look at their Note 9 on display because mine seemed rough up the top. He took my mobile out of the clear back cover that it came with and said to me "You haven't taken all the plastic off the top, bottom and sides". Well that was a palm to forehead moment LOLSmiley Tongue....but I'm relieved that it wasn't something faulty with the mobile.

I didn't buy a cover from there but I did get a glass screen protector which Keeghan gave me a $9 discount and put it on for me. The glass screen protector can be annoying because you see your own reflection when looking at the screen in certain lighting. Plus it dulls the colours compared to having a scratch resistant screen protector or no protector at all. You'd have to decide which option would be best for yourself. I chose a glass one because I didn't want to crack the screen if I dropped it.

If you're looking for a wallet cover that's not a Samsung brand make sure the holes line up good down the bottom for the headphone jack, charger, speaker and S Pen. I had to return 2 different types that I had purchased before my mobile arrived because the holes didn't line up properly.

SETTING UP

Resized_20180926_210515(2).jpegResized_20180926_205843(1).jpegResized_20180926_205958(2).jpeg

The battery had 67% charge out of the box. I charged it without powering on...it took 58 minutes to charge the next 37%.

The sim and micro sd card tray is positioned top left of the Note 9 same as the S8...and again I found it quite fiddly to put the cards in the tray.

The setting up instructions are pretty easy to follow.

1. Language-English
  2. Connect to Wi-Fi
  3. Agree to the Terms and Conditions
  4. Sign into Google Account
  5. Protect your phone- Set up Intelligent Scan (Use Face and Iris recognition together)                                - Set up Face Recognition                                                                                            - Set up Iris Scanner                                                                                                      - Set up Fingerprint Scanner                                                                                        - Set up PIN, Pattern, or Password                                                                              - No, Thankyou (I chose this option and set it up later)
  6. Meet your Google Assistant
  7. Google Services
  8. Get Recommended Apps- Essential apps, Apps will be installed to optimise your phone...clicking on the dropdown arrow shows Telstra Air and Telstra 24/7
  9. Sign into your Samsung Account                                                                                 - Agree (or not) to Terms and Conditions                                                                     - Restore Data>From Samsung Cloud or From your old device- Use Smart Switch using a USB cable.

I chose to transfer using Smart Switch. It took 16 minutes to transfer 10.17GB and  maybe another 30 minutes to install it (I forgot to time it).

The things that transferred were:

Basic Information> Contacts, Messages, Calendar, Samsung Notes, Call Log, Clock, Internet (Bookmarks, Saved pages and History) Email, Apps and App Data, Settings and Home Screen.

Media and Documents> Images, Music, Videos, Recordings and Documents.

Everything that I wanted was actually transferred.

Don't forget to go into the Google Play Store App...press on the 3 line menu top left... press on Settings near the bottom...press on Auto-update apps in the list...choose how you want the Apps to update. I always choose Do Not Auto-update Apps, you'll get notified when Apps need updating and you have to actually click on update to start the update.

Always On Display is automatically turned on. If you don't wish to use this feature it can be turned off by dragging down the top of the screen....find the Always On Display Icon and press on that.

SOFTWARE VERSION

Android Version : 8.1.0

Samsung Experience Version: 9.5

Android Security Patch Level: 1July 2018

The day after setting the Note up there was a 200.70MB Software Update which included Security Patch Level: 1 August 2018 

What's new: A feature to select the recording time for Single-take in Super Slow Motion has been added. (0.2s,0.4s).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Obviously the Note 9 (6.4 inch screen) looks bigger than the S8 (5.8 inch screen). The next thing I noticed was the viewing experience....the colours are so clear, bright and vivid. The Note 9 doesn't feel much heavier than the S8 though. Without a back cover on it fingerprints and sweat marks are really noticeable. I was holding onto it for dear life incase I dropped it before putting the clear back cover that came with it on....the sweat from my hands makes it more grippier to hold onto the clear back cover. It feels comfortable in my hand....and my thumb is near the volume button not the Bixby button.  

More to followSmiley Wink                                           

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Disclaimer: I have been given a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 by Telstra free of charge to review. The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Thanks for kicking off the review @Smiley3. Everything that you have noted is exactly what I have observed as well. I must say that getting the little plastic protection strips off was not the easiest (do not trim your fingernails before trying to remove them). Also, the Note 9 is what I would call "solid". I find it a bit more comfortable to hold (without a case) than the recent generation of phones that have come out. I still have problems hitting the fingerprint sensor first time on this model though. Will take a bit of time to get used to the location again.

We are a primarily a Samsung household (S9+, S9, Note 8 and a poor lonely HTC U11+), so it has been interesting to see how the Note 9 compares to these.

Even compared to the S9 and S9+ that are still current generation, the Note 9 is noticeably smoother in its operation. Not a huge difference, but just enough to think "nice".

I have run a few YouTube videos side by side on the S9+ and Note 9 and the picture on the Note 9 is noticeable crisper. The screen in marginally larger than the S9+, but is the same resolution, but the picture still appears cleaner on the Note 9. I suspect that this is more due to the Video Enhancement software on the phone rather than any sort of actual screen improvement.

Sound is another thing that appears to have improved with the Note 9. Playing audio using the built in stereo speakers is louder and clearer on the Note 9 than on any of the other phones in my household. The included earphones are also very good, but I do still prefer my Bluetooth JBL earphones. The other advantage of Bluetooth is that you can pair two sets of earphones at once, so you and your friend can listen to the same thing at the same time.

The big ticket item of the Note 9 is the pen. The pen is not going to be a big deal to a lot of people, but the functionality is improving. With this version, you can take notes on your phone without having to unlock it. Just pull the pen out and start scribbling on the screen and it saves the note to Samsung Notes.

My favorite new feature of the pen is you can use it to trigger the camera on the phone from up to 10 meters away. I hate taking selfies because I always found it a pain to press the button on the phone to take a picture, but using the button on the pen means that it is much easier to position the camera and take the shot.

I also like taking photos at night using a tripod (you can mount a phone to a tripod if you have a selfie stick that has the screw attachment at the bottom). Being able to use the pen to activate the shutter is great, I no longer have to set a delay timer to negate camera wobble. It also means that it is easier for me to be in the photo as well as I can be in the group and set off the shutter, rather than having to be at the phone.

A downside of the Note 9. We had the question about how strong the vibration is and the ringer volume for incoming calls and messages. There is no real improvement on this front compared to past phones. When I have the Note 9 in my back pocket, and there is traffic going past, odds are that you still aren't going to notice it ringing.

When placed on hard surface, the vibration is very noticeable and so is the ringing. Works great in the office (I keep on having to remember to turn it down), but in noisy places I still tend to rely on having my earphones on to make sure I can hear it ring. The choice of ringtone/vibration also makes a large difference, and some are far more noticeable than others.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Disclaimer: I have been given a Note 9 by Telstra free of charge to review. The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Correction for my previous post: it took 58 minutes to charge 33% not 37% on the first charge out of the box.

Points 5 and 9 in Setting Up: Sorry for the look of the layout...it didn't look like that when I wrote it.

Ringing Volume, Playing Music Volume and AKG Earphone

I did find that the ringing volume and playing music on the Note 9 is louder than the S8 in non noisy environments. They both use the earpiece speaker and bottom speaker at the same time when playing music or a call is coming in. The earpiece on the Note 9 puts out a much higher volume than the S8.  @Jupiter, I also found it hard to hear a call or message in a noisy environment (shopping centre). Another way around not being able to hear it is to use a smart watch. But when I'm home I either turn the volume down or put the phone on vibrate so it's not so loud.

Playing music on the Note 9 is louder than the S8. I found the Dolby Atmos icon by dragging down at the top of the screen...press on the icon...press on details to choose what to set it on (Auto, Movie, Music or Voice). For more detailed settings, open settings...Sounds and Vibrations...Sound Quality and Effects. There's also Adapt Sound to find the best sound for you and use it for calls, music and video which has different age groups. This is on both the Note 9 and S8 but I haven't tested this.

The AKG earphones are the same as what came with the S8. They came with medium sized ear plug rubbers on it and spare small and large sizes. I changed them to small which was a fiddly process. They do a good job of blocking out ambient noise and the sound when playing music or on a call is good.

Wi-Fi Calling

The Wi-Fi calling icon is automatically turned on after the Note 9 has been set up. If you don't wish to use Wi-Fi calling it can be turned of by dragging down from the top of the screen and pressing on the Wi-Fi calling icon.

This has to be turned on though if you want to make a call using Wi-Fi. I found that after the Wi-Fi calling icon has been turned on, then turning on the Flight Mode, then the wi-fi icon I was able to make a call. 

Bluetooth S Pen

I think the S Pen is great to use and even better that it has Bluetooth. It's so handy to use when writing a text message while being a passenger in a car.

To find the S Pen settings: Settings> Advanced Features>S Pen

Screen off Memo

When the screen is off and the S Pen is inserted, eject the S Pen and start writing a note on the screen. Up the top left is a pencil icon...tap on that to alter the thickness of your writing. The icon next to the pencil is an eraser....tap on that if you want to erase all that you've written. If you don't want to erase all but some of your note...hold the nib of the S Pen on the part you want to erase and press the button to erase it. On the right hand side is the "Save in Notes" icon...tap on that to save your handwritten note into Samsung Notes.

If the S Pen is out of the docking hole you can still use the screen off memo feature. With the screen black hover the S Pen close to the screen and one press the button....this lights the screen up to write another memo.

The Signature writing colour on the screen for the Ocean Blue Note 9 is Yellow. The memo is also saved as yellow writing in Notes. If you don't want Yellow the only other option is to toggle off "Use S Pen signature colour"....this changes the colour to White when writing a memo and saves it as Black in Samsung Notes. I found the Yellow writing on the screen easier to read than the White when writing a memo.

To find this setting: Settings> Advanced Features>  S Pen> Screen off memo. This is where you can also toggle off the Screen off Memo if you don't want the feature activated.  

Air Command

Settings> Advanced Features> Air Command

You can choose to have a Floating Icon or not to have one and this only shows on the screen when the S Pen is removed.

Air Command is a shortcut feature to the Apps you use. When you click on "Add shortcuts" it brings up a screen full of Apps installed on the Note 9 that you can choose to add to the Air Command feature.Screenshot_20181007-125306_Air command.png

I've found the "Screen Write" to be very useful. This is used to take a Screenshot. Open Air Command...press on Screen Write...then you can choose what you want to do with it. It's so much quicker and easier than pressing the volume down button and power button at the same time on the S8.

"Translate" can also come in handy if you want a word translated from another language into English.

The Note 9 still has the Edge Panels, where you can choose shortcuts to your frequently used things.

Removal Alarm

You have the option to have an alarm sound if you walk away with your phone without inserting the S Pen and the screen is off. Bugger that it doesn't sound an alarm if the screen is still lit. When first testing this I forgot to turn the screen black and wondered why I didn't get an alert. I got about 6 metres when a beeping sound came on the phone and a message flashed on the screen "Reinsert S Pen, Remember to attach the S Pen when you have finished using it".

S Pen Remote

Drag down from the top of the screen...find S Pen remote, tap on that...tap on "details". This is where the toggle has to be on to use the Bluetooth features. You can also see how much % of battery is left before having to recharge it.Screenshot_20181007-124557_Air command.png

Press on "Hold down pen button to". Open camera is the default setting. You can change this feature to any App that is displayed...whichever one you choose will be the App that opens with one hold-down press of the button on the S Pen.

App Actions

Choose what happens when you press the S Pen in various Apps. I tested how far away I could get while in the Gallery App, I got to at least 17 metres and I was still able to make the pictures change, it even worked through my internal house walls.

Using Google Play Music I was able to play/pause with a single press and the double press did skip to the next song. Using Samsung Music the single press did play/pause but the double press hardly ever skipped to the next song.

S Pen Battery from full charge

50% used in 13 minutes

60% used in 19 minutes

80% used in 29 minutes

99% used in 34 minutes

100% flat in 42 minutes

The S Pen icon up the top of the screen turns a grey colour with no wi-fi signal when the battery is flat. 

It takes less than 60 seconds to fully charge the battery.

Still more to followSmiley Happy

Level 20: Director

Just a little FYI to anyone wanting to buy one. Samsung is offering a promo atm...

Get bonus JBL headphones worth $349

When you buy Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, Note9 or TabS4.

The JBL Duet NC headphones combine a sleek design and premium materials to deliver a signature sound. Along with superior active noise cancelling technology in both wired and wireless modes, they offer a truly remarkable sound experience.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/samsung

Further details available at Samsung's Website here!

The process to get your headphones is very simple: Buy, Register and Redeem – of course there are terms and conditions of this, so make sure you have a read of the site to understand clearly.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!

S-Pen - observations on practical usage as a pen.

Last night on the way home on the train I decided to give the S-Pen a good workout and decided to respond to some Crowdsupport queries using the S-Pen exclusively as the means of input.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the ease of input. Now, in all honesty, I spend most of my day on a computer typing away, so my typing speed far exceeds my handwriting speed. But, in saying that, the accuracy of the handwriting recognition astounded me. Even with my scrawl, which makes words look like a series of wavy lines most of the time, the Note 9 didn't make a single glitch.

I can fit about three words across the screen before I have to move down the screen to write some more, but there was more than enough space to keep on writing. Especially once I got used to writing on the screen and realized that the pen is now accurate enough to write smaller than I would normally write on an exercise book. I got the letter size down to about 5 mm and it was a breeze.

I don't think I'll be using the pen to be writing a novel soon, but for taking notes in a meeting, or sending a quick message, it works very well.

A little bit of a test. A GIF that I created with some of the shots (better copies of which to follow once I crop them to less than the 3MB size limit that Crowdsupport allows) using Photo Editor Pro (the built in photo editor). Note: the night shots are a bit of a cheat. I bought a wide angle clip-on lens.

20181016_073027.gif

@Jupiter wrote:

A little bit of a test. A GIF that I created with some of the shots (better copies of which to follow once I crop them to less than the 3MB size limit that Crowdsupport allows) using Photo Editor Pro (the built in photo editor). Note: the night shots are a bit of a cheat. I bought a wide angle clip-on lens.

Mmmm.... cake!

Although the gifs swap too quickly so can't see the number of candles to see if its an old bugger or not lol.

@Jupiter, you're so much more technology-savvy than myself, using the S Pen to answer on Crowdsupport and I've never used a GIF.

Samsung did send me an email 3 day's after setting up the Note 9 inviting me to have a teaching session at one of their kiosk's. How do they know I'd need some one on one? Maybe I should take them up on the offer. 

In another email Samsung sent they suggested having a look at findmymobile.samsung.com. This is where you can remotely access your Note 9 if you've lost it. You can also use this to unlock your device if you've forgotten your password....or in my case last year when doing the S8 review the password was playing up and I had to reset it using this method.

Camera

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no Pro at using the camera. I've always just used the Auto mode and zoomed in. I'm glad that a warning comes on the screen if the lens is dirty and needs cleaning otherwise it would never get cleaned.

There's 6 different modes that can be used.

Panorama: This is easy enough for me to use, just pan from one side to the other.

Pro: These setting's are way over my head.

Live Focus: Most of the time it kept showing on the screen "Live focus not applied due to shooting condition's"- What are the condition's?? I was staying between 1 and 1 1.5 metres of the subject like it said to.

Auto: This setting I can handle. There's even a x2 symbol in a circle that when this is selected it automatically zoom's in.

Super Slow-mo: Yes...I did try this but it took a few goes to work out how to use this feature.

Hyperlapse: This was easy for me to use. Just aim at something moving, press the button...it takes a video and then keeps replaying over and over.

AR Emoji: I couldn't get the Emoji to look like me. 

I did take some photo's using the Auto setting. All of the following photo files have been shrunk to fit on Crowdsupport.

Note 9. The tree icon automatically came up when aiming at the trees.

Note 9 1st picture.png

S8

S8 1st picture Tree.png

Note 9. The flower icon automatically came up when aiming at the flowers.

Note 9 2nd picture.png

S8

S8 2nd photo lots of flowers.png

Note 9 using x2 icon to zoom in

Note 9 3rd picture.png

S8 manually zoomed in.

S8 3rd photo single flower.png

Battery Life and charging times

The Note 9 has a 4000mAh battery compared to the S8 that has a 3000mAh battery. After using the Note 9 for a week the Estimated battery life for my usage is 1 Day 15 Hours. This is 10 Hours more than using it to do the same things on my S8 which showed 1 Day 5 Hours before starting this review.

The battery lose's 4% overnight, the same as the S8.

Only once have I noticed that the front of the Note 9 has gotten really hot for about half an hour when starting to charge it.

From 18% to 100% it took 1 Hour 34 minutes, but the red light indicator took another 3 minutes before it changed to green.

In 20 minutes it went up to 42%

In 30 minutes it went up to 54%

In 40 minutes it went up to 65%

In 50 minutes it went up to 77%

In 1 Hour it went up to 86%

In 1 Hour 10 minutes it went up to 91%

In 1 Hour 20 minutes it went up to 95%

In 1 Hour 34 minutes it went up to 100%

Screen Lock type

Swipe- No security

Pattern- Medium security

PIN- Medium to High security

Password- High security

Biometrics

There are 4 to choose from and all need a secure screen lock set (Pattern, PIN or Password).

1. Intelligent Scan- Uses Face and Iris recognition together for better accuracy and security.
  2. Face- This worked well, I even held a photo of myself in front of the screen but it wouldn't unlock...which is a good thing.
  3. Iris- I didn't try this because it said to protect your eyes, keep the screen at least 20cm away from your face when using Iris Recognition and I wouldn't always have it that far away.
  4. Fingerprints- This worked every time for me. I did test with different fingers that weren't registered and after 5 incorrect attempts you have to put the Password in.

The Fingerprint Sensor on the Note 9 is positioned under the camera Lens. Without a cover on I was always putting my finger on the camera lens. With a cover on it is much easier to feel for the sensor by sliding up the cover to reach the button without putting my finger on the camera lens. It's in a much better position than the S8 which is positioned alongside the camera lens.

Speed Tests using speedtest.com with Note 9 and S8 side by side

Our local Telstra Tower Station which is about 200 metres from our house unfortunately had a fire 4 month's ago and it's still not fixed. I've been told we're now getting our signal from a tower that's 1.6km away.

These are the speed test's using mobile reception.

Locked into 3G only with 4 bars signal at home.

Note 9: 4.58 Mbps Download, 1.04 Mbps Upload, Ping 25ms, Jitter 16ms

S8:       4.67 Mbps Download, 1.54 Mbps Upload, Ping 23ms, Jitter 10ms

4G 1 Bar of Signal at home.

Note 9: 13.3 Mbps, Download, 5.74 Mbps Upload, Ping 13ms, Jitter 6ms

S8      : 11.0 Mbps, Download, 7.60 Mbps Upload, Ping 18ms, Jitter 4ms

4G 2 Bars of signal at home (these varied).

The lowest:

Note 9: 7.53 Mbps Download, 5.06 Mbps Upload, Ping 13ms

S8      : 12.2 Mbps Download, 7.89 Mbps Upload, Ping 19ms

The highest:

Note 9: 50.3 Mbps Download, 11.2 Mbps Upload, Ping 13ms, Jitter 1ms

S8      : 43.0 Mbps Download, 8.10 Mbps Upload, Ping 19ms, Jitter 7ms

We don't get any more than 2 bars of 4G at home now, it was 4 bars when our closest tower was working.

4G 4 Bars of signal in southern carpark of Colonnades Shopping Centre.

I would love to get these speeds at home

Note 9: 206 Mbps Download, 53.7 Mbps Upload, Ping 20ms, Jitter 5ms

S8      : 155 Mbps Download, 44.8 Mbps Upload, Ping 17ms, Jitter 6ms

Messages App Change's

This is the only App I've noticed that has had some changes made to it comparing to the S8 Apps. The first thing I noticed is the background colour's of the conversation bubbles. I preferred the S8 which my bubble was a light orange colour with black writing and the other person was a light grey with black writing . With the Note 9 my bubble is a Teal colour with White writing and the other person is the same as the S8. The rest of the background colour outside of the bubbles is White and there is no "Background" setting to change this. With the S8 I could choose a Background for outside the bubbles from my Gallery.

Rich Communications is automatically turned on when setting up the Note 9. You can find this in Settings> Connections> More Connection Settings. I turned this off as I don't use this and it didn't change the bubble colours.

The Delete button has also changed from up the top right on the S8 to the bottom left on the Note 9, which I'm still getting used to.

Connections via Bluetooth

I don't have a Touchscreen in my car so last year I purchased a Response sunvisor Bluetooth hands free car kit. I used the S8 with this device and could also connect the Note 9 easily.

The same with my Sony micro Hi-Fi system, I used the S8 with this and could easily connect the Note 9. I tried using the S pen button to play/pause and skip the songs, it worked in Google Play Music but again playing songs through Samsung Music I could play/pause but skip hardly ever worked.

Pro's and Con's

Pros:

• 4000mAh Battery- I get longer use before having to recharge.
  • The screen size- when I was only using the S8 I thought that was a good size screen but now it look's so small in comparison to the Note 9.
  • The screen resolution- I just love the clear, vivid viewing that Samsung mobile's have.
  • The Bluetooth S Pen- The S Pen is great to use in itself and the Bluetooth feature's are an added bonus.
  • The Fingerprint Sensor position- I'm glad Samsung have moved the sensor to under the camera lens and not kept it alongside the lens like the S8.
  • Air Command- Shortcuts to frequently used Apps.
  • Screen Write App- I'm always taking screenshots and this is so much quicker than holding the volume down button and power button at the same time on the S8.
  • 6GB RAM- the S8 has 4GB
  • Headphone Jack- If I'm home I always use my corded earphones when on a phone call.
  • External SD card
  • Device Maintenance- I'm glad Samsung still have this on the Note 9. I'm constantly using this during the day. Clicking on Battery to save power to stop Apps I've opened from using the battery when I'm not using them. I also click on Memory to try to improve the performance by freeing up memory.

Cons:

• The only thing I can think of that I'd like changed is the Messages App to have the "Background" option in it's Setting like the S8 has.

What type of user should buy the Note 9?

I think anyone who can afford to buy the Note 9 would find some benefit's of owning it.

It could be too big for some people's hands though.

I'd like to thank Telstra for asking me to give my personal thought's on the Note 9. I'm a Pre-paid customer who always buys my mobile phone's outright and at the price of $1500 I would never have been able to own the Note 9 if it wasn't given to me. This is one of the Perks for being in the Brains Trust GroupSmiley Happy

@Jupiter @Smiley3

Hey, have either of you guys got the latest Samsung wireless charger?

I lent mine to a friend with the new note and he said he thought the Note9 was getting a little too warm for comfort with that.

From my own personal experience with wireless charging I find that at times that certain apps running are the cause of the extra heat, and not the general charging on the unit. In his case, not sure what it is.

I did say he may be better of getting a decent wireless fast charger that has a fan in it.

@Ozmoz, no, I don't own a Samsung Wireless charger. I've only used the charger's that come with the device. 

@Ozmoz I tried wireless charging for a few hours last night and didn't notice any appreciable warming compared to other phones.

I would suggest that there may be a rogue bit of software running incorrectly in the background causing the processor to run excessively.

OK. I've had a little bit of time to shrink down some of the shots that I took with the Note 9 so that they could be uploaded (there is a 3MB upload limit here and the shots vary from 2MB - dark photos to up to 15MB - closeups with lots of detail).flowercloseup.jpgPhoto 1: Using x2 lensflowercloseupcropped.jpgPhoto 2: cropped version of Photo 1 so that the detail is more easily seen.

flowerwide.jpgPhoto 3: x1 lens

treecloseup.jpgCloseup of Tree using Live Focus

Live focus allows you to take a shot within 1.5m of a subject and then adjust the amount of background blur after you have taken the shot.

20181006_211005.jpgThis one is a bit of a cheat. I attached a 140 degree wide angle lens to the phone and took at 10 sec exposure at ISO 800

treeintosun.jpgI deliberately took this with the sun at the top of the canopy.

I took this facing in to the sun to see how it handled the bright light. The software in the Note 9 has improved greatly even since the S9 plus was released. The same shot taken with the S9 plus came out with the tree so dark that a lot of the detail was lost.

Level 19: Deputy Director

Didn't like the devices menu system is there anyway to change this?
Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"

canopy.jpgCanopy of tree: I took this shot by laying the phone on a tree branch and then used the S-Pen as the shutter release. It lets you take photos form places where it may be hard to hold the phone still, or access the phone to trigger the shot.f1.5_iso50_1_1105sec.jpgPlaying with Pro Mode: f1.5_iso50_1/1105secf1.5_iso50_1_2000sec.jpgPlaying with Pro Mode: f1.5_iso50_1_2000secf1.5_iso50_1_8000sec.jpgPlaying with Pr Mode: f1.5_iso50_1_8000secf2.4_iso50_1_518sec.jpgPlaying with Pro Mode: f2.4_iso50_1_518sec

@o_0 You can't change the Settings menus, but you could install a different Launcher if you don't like the screen layout.

You can also change the Theme (background, icons). There are plenty to choose from.
Level 21: Augmented

dumb question "clear back cover." (presumably showing on the right of the screenshot, is that like the back of the actual phone or is it a silicon/ rubber protector?

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

It's a clear, hard PC clip on cover. Protects the back of the phone from scratches, but is no substitute for a full case. It does nothing to protect the screen. Offers minor protection to the camera lenses by its' raised profile.

One thing that I did discover yesterday, the GPS in the Note 9 is probably the most accurate that I've seen in a phone to date. Was getting an accuracy of 1m (and confirmed that against a survey unit). The Galaxy S9+ could only get to 3m accuracy (which is still excellent in itself).

I must say however, that the compass in the Note 9 did benefit greatly from a quick calibration as it was out by 50 degrees prior to this. To calibrate the compass, you need to rotate the phone around all 3 axis 3 times each.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more