Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

HTC one - Product Reviews By You

original.jpg

(i) What phone were you previously using before starting the HTC One review?

(ii) What steps were involved in setting up the phone and how easy was it?

(iii) Can you share some images of the HTC One “un-boxing” experience?

(iv) How do the “BoomSound” Audio and “Ultra pixel” camera compare with what you have used in the past?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
instttechnology
Level 2: Rookie

Re: HTC one - Product Reviews By You

i) Prior to using the HTC One, I had been using the Samsung Galaxy Series of phones, mainly the S3

ii) The phone was simple to set up, any one who has used an android phone before would feel quite comfortable with the setup as it is very similar across all android devices now e.g. enter language, add google account - then follow the phone system prompts. I was surprised at the amount of online services the one included out of the box - Dropbox, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Flicker and many others. If you don't have an account - all you need to do is name the device and off you go.

If you add online accounts - the first screen you are greeted with is a social overview of everything in your networks that you can simply scroll though, if you swipe to the left you see the traditional android style home screen.

iii)

IMG_20130603_175547.jpgIMG_20130603_181244.jpgIMG_20130603_175713.jpgIMG_20130603_175810.jpg

I was impressed with the basic simple layout of the box, phone is the first thing you see then underneath is the charger, headphones and books. The charger is actually a USB style charger (any USB devices can be plugged into it) which I think is a smarter design because if the micro USB charge cable gets damaged they are not expensive to replace.

iv) Boomsound really boosts the low end sound in music, the front facing speakers in the phone also make for greater sound clarity. If you go to settings and turn boom sound on and off (listed as Beats Audio) you can definitely notice the difference. Some songs it gives greater clarity to, however since it is boosting volume and low frequency (from what I can tell) some music will develop a slight distortion with it enabled. The sound seemed to have much greater clarity then my S3 - regardless of whether I was listening using the provided headphones, inbuilt speakers or bluetooth.

The ultra pixel camera is awesome in comparison to the S3 was amazing for still shots and video. The only time it lacked performance was when you were zooming in on an item. The first photo below is a lookout at Middle brother mountain (near Laurieton NSW) it is shot on the S3

S3 Middle Brother.jpg

This next photo is shot on the HTC one - it is only grainy as I emailed it to myself, since it seems USB mass storage mode doesnt work out of the box:

HTC One Middle Brother.jpg

I will attempt to get the RAW file as I believe it will be a better comparison (no grain in photo), I have been very surprised at the texture detail the phone can produce, however once you zoom in on something the quality diminishes rapidly.

So far this phone has impressed with its speed as well, every Android device I have ever used or owned had a noticeable lag even when brand new - I have not noticed anything like it with the HTC at this point. The only things that annoy me with the phone are placing of buttons - which is just because I am so used to another device.

Level 23: Superhero

Well week one with the HTC One and I must say I’m impressed.

Before commencing this customer review I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 1, which I have to say has been a very reliable and solid smartphone come mini tablet, which we have found invaluable to take on holidays and weekends away and for normal day to day use. We’ve also just received the Telstra JB up-date 4.1.2 to that unit which has given it a whole new life.

That having been said I have entered the review of the HTC One with an open mind, but obviously drawing comparisons to the Note. Prior to the note we were using an HTC HD-2, which in my opinion and a lot of other people has been one of the most robust mobile phones ever. Whilst the windows operating system wasn’t the greatest, the HD2 was a very reliable and robustly built unit and in the new HTC One I see a lot of comparisons, especially in the physical build, with the use of metal casing as opposed to plastics or the like.

Setting up the one has been very easy, and will be for anyone who has a previous HTC phone, any other Android phone or an iPhone. Prior to turning on we popped our sim card in, with the aid of a tool supplied with the phone to open a pop out sim tray from the side of the phone. Word of caution, be very careful with the tray it is very lightweight in build!

After firing the One up for the first time there’s the usual promotional screens for HTC and then first up as per usual choose a language etc.

From this point you have several options for setup from scratch, or restore, transfer or import content from another phone, we chose to transfer settings from our Note.

Transferring from the Note was a pretty easy endeavor and simply involved obtaining from the google Play store a free app called “HTC Transfer Tool”, which you load on your old phone. If you're moving data between an Android 2.3 (and up) device to the new HTC phone, it creates a Wifi Direct connection between the two phones to sync the data.

HTC One transfers.png HTC-Transfer-tool-matching-pins.jpg HTC Transfer 2.jpg

As a side note if you're moving from an iPhone, HTC can transfer content from an iTunes backup locally, or over Bluetooth. (The amount and type of data will be more limited though.) There also are options to transfer data from other types of phones, such as BlackBerry smartphones or Nokias. I won’t go into the step by steps, suffice to say it’s as easy as and you can transfer contacts, web page bookmarks, photos, music, gmail accounts and settings, social network information etc etc., all up took about 5 mins.

There’s the HTC Account set-up, Dropbox (Which we already had) and then the usual personalizing options which you can explore and are very straight forward. You can also do a lot of the set-up via the HTC Setup web-site on a Windows computer or Apple Mac, then it’s simply sent to your phone, again easy as. I know a lot of people talk about having naked Android as opposed to the overlay by manufacturers like Touchwiz on Samsung and Sense on HTC, but I really like the extra options that HTC Sense offers and don’t find it intrusive. You’ll also find on the One some very useful help videos under  Settings > About > Help > Tips & Help. After this it’s all go. I would suggest that if you are contemplating a Telstra HTC One, download on your computer the complete user manual, because like most phones today, there’s nothing useful in the way of instructions that come in the box and like me you might be tech savvy, but there’s always a trick or two, especially in moving from one brand to another, that you’ll miss.

Un-boxing

The One comes as appropriate for a high end smart-phone, in impressive packaging, with the usual accessories, headset, USB cable, charger and a special pin-key to open the Sim Card tray.

A feature of the HTC One that has received a fair bit of coverage has been the Beats “Boom Sound” speakers, and I must say as a bit of an audiophile I was some-what sceptical about the results that I might hear.

My first reaction was it’s about time someone put their phone speaker/s on the front of the device instead of on the back or bottom on a phone profile, because those locations bear no relationship to the position of peoples ears.

Secondly, given the rapid development in audio technology, it was about time someone found a way to put reasonable sounding speakers into a smartphone, 2 stereo-speakers at that, not one tiny squawk bleeper.

Boom Sound

Well to my surprise HTC seemed to have achieved that with this device. I have a pair of Beats headphones and no matter what device I plug them into they seem to convert the sound to something that is worth listening too, but with the One the sound from the speakers is loud and clear, and so far in advance of anything else I’ve heard, the headset that comes with the unit also handles the beats Boom Sound really well. The dual-microphones on the one also delivery great call and recording quality as they cut out a lot of background noise.
Oh and with the speakers, switching to speakerphone setting I found calls received are as clear as a bell.

Ultra pixel

My first question about the HTC One Últra pixel’ cameras was, well just how many pixels is it, and then shock horror when I found it just 4 megapixels, not moving up the scale like other manufacturers who are looking at 13 megs. in some of the latest offerings. According to the user manual there’s a special light sensor that takes in more light and it gives a higher picture quality, so we put it to the test.

I have so far found that low light shots were very good, excellent in fact, normal shots again are produced with great colour and little noise or grain. That did change a bit when I tried a distance shot with full digital zoom. I normally try to stay clear of zooming anyway, but for the purposes of testing gave it a shot. The camera sort of shot me down in flames with my ideas of more megapixels is better because HTC have again been innovative with this. Haven’t had a lot of use yet with the video camera, but what I have shot compares well with the results I’ve achieved previously with my Samsung Note. There’s a very nice Panorama setting, a feature called ‘Best Shot’ where a series of quick fire shots are taken and then you choose your Best Shot, great when someone blinks at the wrong time. Heaps of settings or fully auto you can make your choice to get your photos looking like a professional. There’s also a new Camera feature called Zoe’s which I’ll try to cover on a further report.

NB These shots were taken in Newcastle NSW, really terrible overcast day, but the One I think has given a great result. We are now travelling north from Newcastle through Gunnedah, Moree and into Queensland to Hervey Bay and then back down the east coast over the next two weeks, so we'll pop in some HTC One travel shots...

IMAG0065_ZOE001.jpg  IMAG0069_ZOE014.jpg

Panorama

Newcastle Harbour

IMAG0084_1.jpg

Video

Same overcast day, with Hang Gliders off Newcastle.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Craigf1
Level 1: Cadet

Hey guys interesting reviews. I'be been tossing up between the one and an S4, this is looking good though, thew the eyes of users, I hope you aren't paid Telstra people.

darb
Level 4: Private Eye

(i) What phone were you previously using before starting the HTC One review?
Nokia Lumia 800

(ii) What steps were involved in setting up the phone and how easy was it?
Setting up the device was fairly straight forward. Un-box and charge the device, ejecting the microSIM tray with the tool provided then Installing the microSIM by placing it on and re-inserting the tray (this is slightly tricky).

After turning on the device it was simple. Just followed the setup  which doesn't require any initial registering or logging in which is great!

What I did like about the HTC One is the inclusion of the how-to's, tutorial videos and the first time tips on screen during tasks.

(iii) Can you share some images of the HTC One “un-boxing” experience?
 The phone as it arrived.
  WP_20130609_011.jpg

The phone and accessories unboxed.

WP_20130609_021.jpg

So what's in the box ?

The HTC One phone itself, a pair of standard HTC ear phones along with 2 extra ear pods, a standard Australian charge adapter(non inter-changeable) ,USB to micro-USB cable, microSIM tray ejection tool, various documentation and service stickers to stick on your phone in case you run into problems.

(iv) How do the “BoomSound” Audio and “Ultra pixel” camera compare with what you have used in the past?
 I think the sound from this device is amazing, watching and sharing YouTube videos with others, listening to music without earphones being loud and clear. With front facing speakers the sound is facing you. No longer must I turn my device back to front or upside down. Now I can watch and listen. 

The Ultra pixel camera as of now the thing that really stands out for me is the speed that the HTC One takes a picture. it's Ultra fast!

Here's a couple pictures I've taken over the weekend using the HTC One so you may check the quality out for yourself.

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

I'm very keen to use this camera more to see it's full potential including taking low light photo's, recording videos and using HTC Zoe .

Thanks for reading, If anyone has any questions about this device please feel free to ask Smiley Happy

BrittaneyB

Wish I'd got one of these instead of the Samsung Galaxy.

insttechno

@Craigf1 I'm not a paid Telstra person. I actually have owned every S series of phone since release except for the 4 (S1, S2, S3) and prior to owning the S1 I had a HTC Dream (one of the very early droids) 

Note - my user initially says insttechnology as i was using a temporary account whilst crowdsupport fixed this one for me.

The only thing that has annoyed me with the phone is button positioning - however this was just due to me being so used to the standard layout of buttons on the S devices.

After some playing around I actually found some of the things I missed e.g. task switching is accessible by double tapping the home button - then you get a really awesome tiled view of currently opened apps.

I was trying to get a task switcher by holding the home button, which on the HTC simply takes you to the Google Now page.

insttechno

Just thought I would add raw files of pics (turns out my Mac would only see the device as a camera - windows I could pull the raw data off easily)

The photo below is from our coffee shop in Newcastle, i was impressed with the clarity as it showed surface texture very well

Pear Coconut Raspberry Bread

This is Bird Tree, at Middle Brother Mountain near Port Macquarie NSW - again was impressed with texture.

Bird Tree Middle Brother

I took a photo of this tower as I wanted to see how the phone performed in high contrast areas - as you can see it starts to struggle a bit when very high constrast is involved.

Middle Brother Tower

This photo is the RAW image from my first post (as opposed to the emailed image)

This is one shot in a sequence of burst shots - if you hold the take photo button down the device will continually shoot stills, which is great for taking shots of sports.

Burst Shot

Well we are still on the road with our One. Currently in a stormy Goondiwindi but this morning Narrabri in NW NSW and we went along to see CSIRO's Australia Telescope array. A one phto below.

Last night in Narrabri we had dinner at an interesting spot called 'The Outback Shack'. Interior photo below.

20130611_190138_resized.jpg

20130612_100755_resized.jpg

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Whilst we've all been selling our photos taken on the One, I have to say that the actual phone quality is excellent. Here in Goondiwindi at the present time full bars for 3G.

Phoned the daughter back in Newcastle tonight and there were no problems. Emailing has been great too.

darb
Level 4: Private Eye

Great photo's Robot Happy . Did you buy some of that bread by any chance? looks great.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all your posts here and for sharing your photos Smiley Happy

I must agree, the HTC phones I think takes the best pictures.

I had the previous model and it's awesome, I just wished I didn't drop it while taking those great photos Smiley Sad

Take care now.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Well we are still on the road with our HTC One, now in Queensland

Here's a shot taken with the One in a museum in Kingaroy. Really old, like me, Peanut harvesting and processing equipement.

Kingaroy Muesum 1.jpg

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now