Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Highlighted
AnjoMiranda
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Mobile Insider - Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

Conclusion

After exclusively using the phone for a week, I must say, the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is indeed a worthy competitor of Apple’s flagships. With a great premium build and quality, simplified UI, impressive camera and crystal clear display, it was really a joy to use.

The fingerprint scanner works almost flawlessly now as I learn how to properly place my finger on the homebutton. I haven't really use any of the edge functionalities to be honest. Well I did use the People edge once earlier for a quick call. (I dont do much SMSing or Calling).

Although the sharper sides of the edge are prominent and not to the point of being uncomfortable as I mentioned on my earlier review , I do miss holding a much rounder back/sides of a phone.

If you have read my initial review of the phone, I have written down two of my main problems with this phone -- its battery life and the non-expandable storage. Well, those 2 points are still my main cons for the phone. If you’re getting this phone, I highly recommend getting a powerbank to bring along with you (Genuine Xiaomi and TP-Link ones are good and affordable) as this wouldn’t last me a day with my usage. Snapping photos would easily drain the battery out of the phone. For very light users though, it should be sufficient. I wouldn't buy such a powerful phone for "light usage" though Smiley Wink

Luckily, Samsung compensated the weak battery with faster charging. I would get from 0 to 75 percent in 60 mins.

This is a media powerhouse of a smartphone so storage should be sufficient for how you’ll be using the phone. One 16MP photo would take up around 10mb of space, plus if you want to shoot HD videos with this, you should consider looking at the 64GB or 128GB model, as you'll easily fill up the 32GB (22GB useable) internal storage.

In the camera department, my only complaint was the touch to focus doesnt work as well as it does on iPhones. Touching to focus on iPhones would adjust the exposure to whatever focus point you select. However, it doesn't work the same on the S6. So working against an overexposed background would be tricky. Make sure you turn on HDR mode on these instances, or you'll end up with a silhouette photo.

With the Telstra plans available, I would go for the M plan as this era of social media, or even music streaming, apps are more data hungry than ever. 

Again, these are all my personal recommendations but this is how I see trends nowadays.

As promised, I snapped more photos with the S6 Edge this week. I edited some of them with just a slight boost of saturation, brightness or contrast through Snapseed. Nothing drastic.

One photo I took with the phone even got a repost from Melbourne’s official Instagram account (@visitmelbourne) Yay!

What a sensational Sunday it's turned out to be, perfect for a stroll around Carlton Gardens. Lovely...

A photo posted by Melbourne (@visitmelbourne) onMay 2, 2015 at 11:38pm PDT

Enjoy the photos!

Unedited photos:

20150426_145553

20150502_130921

20150502_13110720150502_16081920150501_174622

This house photo above is unedited, taken in low light when the sun was almost down. The photo appeared brighter than it looked like in real life. I believe the OIS helped brighten up the photo and eliminated noise.

20150502_13293820150502_135310S6 Edge20150502_13322320150502_14172220150502_14343720150502_145245-01

Edited with Snapseed:

20150502_145516-01

20150502_152341-0120150502_155647-0120150502_152555-0120150502_153557-0120150502_150120-0120150502_160834-0120150502_131229-0120150502_135249-01

------------------------------------
Follow me on social media:

Twitter: @anjomiranda
Instagram: @anjomiranda
ccarolynwestt
Level 3: Gumshoe

What a great summary! I could keep looking at those photos for days - so nice! 

I'm so keen to test the camera out on this more, but shop lighting doesn't make for very good photos Smiley Wink

It's also good to hear your thoughts about the touch focus. I noticed that it wasn't as responsive in regards to exposure as my iPhone!

Find me on Twitter & Instagram @ccarolynwestt
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for these amazing reviews @bill0014 and @AnjoMiranda. You have done me proud! 

Love the photos in particular. 

I'm really convinced that the quality of the cameras in handsets these days coupled with how easy it is to then share the photos is changing photography

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey insiders, a question from Twitter for you:

How's the memory leak of Galaxy 6 phones?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bill0014
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Even before this memory leak debacle exploded on the internet I have noticed that the 3GB of ram isn't keeping as many apps in memory as I expected, coming from a phone with 2GB of ram. I find the stock browser specially prone to being terminated but I use chrome which isn't affected as much. Sure, the phone doesn't feel like it has 3GB of ram keeping apps in the background but it isn't noticeable to most users who migrated from say an S4. And with the speed of the processor the apps open/resume quickly anyway so I do not consider it as a deal breaker. Plus samsung has promised to release updates to fix the issue hopeful Telstra can release the patch as soon as they receive it.
Need help? Send a message via Twitter @billchen0014 And I will try my best
bill0014

Tips and Tricks

Just bought a brand new Galaxy S6? Here are 3 tips and tricks you will not find elsewhere to get you started!

1. The fingerprint scanner on the S6 is very, but if you give it too many fingerprints, the recognition time increases. So if you can, reduce the number of unnecessary prints and it will make unlocking the phone faster. 

2. Did you know you can pop out the keyboard and undock it from the buttom of the screen? long press the buttom to the left of the space bar and then choose the floating keyboard icon. While you're there, there is also a clipboard where your last screenshots and copied text will appear, how very thoughtful of Samsung. 

3. If you desire a bigger keyboard, go into the keyboard settings, and scroll to the buttom you will find the option to change the keyboard size, now you've got a bigger keyboard!

4. If you want to speed up the phone's animations, you need to access a hidden menu. go into the settings menu, thenabout device, then tap the build number a few times, you will unlock developer options, and you can find animation speeds and change them to 0.5 and voila, you phone just got even faster!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey guys

another question from Twitter please:

How many apps pre install on this phone? & can you delete these apps?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @bill0014, thanks for those tips! The keyboard one sounds rad. @AnjoMiranda is the edge the same? 

Can anyone shed some light on the question about pre-installed apps? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bill0014

The number of pre-install apps is not too many, but not free from bloat either, the worst is probably PocketNews. Whenever you hide it in a folder, it reappears again at the end of the app drawer after a reboot, and the icon is simply awful, please get rid of this useless app Telstra! (And the service costs you money every time you use it as well?!)
Otherwise most pre-installed apps can be hidden/disabled, so nothing to worry about there.
AnjoMiranda
Level 4: Private Eye

Yup, works the same on the edge! Smiley Happy

To add with the preinstalled apps, they are less than what they were on the S5 for sure. Although the built-in apps can be disabled as what Bill mentioned, they cant be completely uninstalled if you're thinking of freeing up more space.

With the RAM leaks, I did notice that the phone would close/relaunch the app completely when switching to another app and going back. Like having to reload a webpage when switching back from another app. I hope a fix in the future will have less agressive approach to multitasking.

------------------------------------
Follow me on social media:

Twitter: @anjomiranda
Instagram: @anjomiranda
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi everyone, 

First up, thanks to our Mobile Insiders. You've been amazing. 

Secondly, thanks to everyone who asked questons and added their comments here. It really helps people researching handsets when there's a good Q&A going.  

If you'd like to read a summary of the reviews, pop over here http://tel.st/cagv

Finally, anyone who'd like to be a Mobile Insider in the future, make sure you're present on the boards so you'll be the first to see the next callout. 

Talk to you all again soon.

rebecca_jade
Level 2: Rookie

I just changed from the iphone 4s to the samsung galaxy s6... worst mistake...
My phone atm is two weeks old and i have been dealing with telstra over the phone and instore since i got it..
The reception is horrible definitely DOES NOT deserve the blue tick..
When my phone sits on the 4g but i will have no bars and on a rare occasion i might get one.. when it switches to the 3g network i find i get more reception.. but usually no more then 2 bars and rare that i get three ..
My partner is with optus (and has my old iphone 4s) and sometimes he can get more reception then what i get on my samsung s6 and i will be in an area where i should be defeintely getting at least 3 or more bars..

POOR RECEPTION NOT WORTH THE BLUE TICK AND DEFINITELY NOT WORTH THE MONEY CUZ YOU DONT GET THE 4G AS WELL.. DEFINITELY NOT HAPPY AND WILL BE CONTINUING TO COMPLAIN UNTIL THIS IS FIXED..
Rob1990
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, I wonder if you can tell me how the camera compares with the likes of the Sony xperia z3 by way of quality. I have had the z2 (same camera speck as z3) for almost 12 months and am due for a new handset, can't work out what to get
BilboNT
Level 1: Cadet

Signal strength significantly inferior to my previous S4 - same office & same desk!! now 50% of incoming calls do not even register on handset, only receive generic missed call txt msg. 4GX  is also a scam!! no coverage in any of the mapped areas. Very dissapointing Telstra  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BilboNT, 

Certainly not good to hear, what was the are that you are having issues in, postal code and suburb name will help me check the area for any network problems.

- Jon

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now