Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

#Mobile Insider - Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet Review

sony-xperia-z2-tablet-mobile-insider.jpg

Welcome to a new round of Mobile Insider. 

The Mobile Insider team are Telstra customers that are selected to be part of a social review team. This means that they trial new phones/tablets which they receive and provide honest opinions on them. 

This time we're focussing on the Sony Xperia Z2. The new Mobile Insider team members who will be reviewing the tablet are @DEANJA and @byrnenick 

This week we are aksing our triallers the following questions. If there is anything additional you'd like to know about the tablet please add in the comments below.

Week one questions:

o   What tablet were you using before starting the review and what features did you most like about that tablet? If you weren’t using a tablet, were you using a phone/laptop for your internet use?

o   What steps were involved in setting up your Xperia, and were you able to set it up with ease?

o   Can you video and share on CrowdSupport the Xperia “un-boxing” experience?

o   What do you think about the entertainment experience and the appearance and weight of the tablet?  

o   After 1 week, what is your overall opinion on the tablet?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32
Level 23: Superhero

Re: #Mobile Insider - Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet Review

Well here we go with our personal evaluation of the Telstra/Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet.

Up to the last couple of days I have been using a Motorola Xoom 601 3G/WiFi tablet. Picked it up day 1 of release from our local Telstra shop several years ago, and it's been a constant companion ever since. I have to say that it's been a very robust and solid performer, BUT is now starting to show it's age (aren't we all) I don't mean in appearance, still looks great with a solid metal backed body, but it's now fallen well behind in the performance and specs area.

It's travelled all over Australia with us and handled the rough and tumble really well, liked most aspects of it except for the fact that it didn't have a telephone dialer, considering it was a 3G network accessable unit, and natively wouldn't handle SMS messaging, however we worked our way around that with a third party app.

Now to the new era with the Xperia, I thought I was getting to old to be shocked but this new baby is truely insanely shocking. Now had 48 hours on the go and as the old saying goes it's ... "LOVE AT FIRST SITE."

The setting up was a breeze with about 6 steps involved made that much easier because of an existing Google account. There's a Sony account to setup and a few other simple, basic questions to answer, which if you don't want to detail on first startup you can do at a later stage from the device settings.

WiFi locked straight in and is something we'll take about a bit more in depth in a later post, as i'm keen to give a full evaluation of the AC WiFi 5 GHZ performance with my new AC Modem Router.

We have choosen a Telstra Pre-paid starter kit to get the the mobile broadband operation up and running. Now here on Crowd Support (CS) I've seen a number of people having problems and delays in getting activation underway and secured, well to anyone who is looking at this exercise I say, take your time and just follow the steps as laid out on the Telstra activation pages. Quoted 20mins possibly up to 4 hrs for activation, well it took a whole 9 mins, yep, 9mins and we were up and running. (See  the pices below AND note the times of the emails recieved during the processSmiley Happy

Activate 1006.jpg

Activate 2005.jpg

NO, nothing special in the process, no special deals, just a straight forward, customer off the street instagating a prepaid sim.

Well I think that gets the ball rolling, we'll be back with operating impressions of the Z2 tablet in a day or so, meanwhile below is a short video showing our un-boxing experience.

0701836001400224804.gif

(view in My Videos)

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Glad to see you're enjoying the Zperia Jeff!

I'm wondering, what was the first app your downloaded?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Yes Kat, so far so good or maybe that should be GREAT.

Been at bowls today as in lawn bowls and took it along to annoy the other members of my team and other club members. Have to say it drew a lot of attention. The main comments being how thin and skinny it was (it being compared to my shilloute, LoL), how light it was and how crystal clear the screen was.

As far as the first app that I downloaded is concerned, I wanted to download a program/app called, 'Hackers Keyboard'. NO, it's NOT what the name might bring to mind as in hacking, it's actually a very functional keyboard that I have used for years on smartphones and my Xoom. It offers a full computer type keyboard which includes the up;down;left and right arrow keys.

Mind you the keyboard/s that come standard on the Xperia are great; a standard type keyboard; a split keyboard or a keyboard that you can have placed left or right on the tablet.

NOW; I said I wanted to, well it download from the Google Play store ok, BUT, so did every other app that I've had on my devices. It did this as part of the setup procedures when we first tuurned on the unit. Google had asked during the setups if it could update apps, so I indicated yes thinking it would just be updating apps that were on here, NOT expecting it to add everything else.

So a word for everyone with a new device like this, don't let google Play store auto update when setting up, go to the play store direct and choose what you want and want updated.

hackers_keyboard_android_2.gif

0701836001400224804.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

aussiejovijo
Level 1: Cadet

following this with great interest as I'm about to upgrade my samsung tab2 and i can't decide between the experia and the new samsung note or even the newer s series tables that samsung just brought out.

Hi Aussie, well as I've said earlier I have an Xoom and it's been great, but this is wiping the floor with it. It's so fast and responsive.

It's very powerful yet it's no thicker than an HB lead pencil, I'll throw some shots up tomorrow showing that. Very very light, BUT offers a quality build. Having said that after the weight and build of the Xoom it takes a bit of mind adjustment re the weight of this and the fact that it's so slim.

In our household two grandchildren with Samsung tablets; a daughter with a Samsung Tablet/Keyboard combo, can't remember the model number, but it's the keyboard that the tablet closes down on or you can just take the screen/tablet off. It runs windows 8.1 which she hated and I've been able to swap over to windows 7 for her, but it's HEAVY as and nowhere near as responsive as the Experia.

0701836001400224804.gif

dracomjb
Level 6: Bloodhound

What's the battery life like?

How are Android apps on a tablet sized screen/ratio?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey reviewers, a couple of questions from our Telstra Twitter community:

- From @aussiejovijo - How does it compare to new Samsung tablets?

- From @creamy60 - Does the screen match the Samsung?  

I'd also love to know what its like for watching TV shows/Movies

@dracomjb wrote:

What's the battery life like?

How are Android apps on a tablet sized screen/ratio?

Thanks very much for your question.  Well I'm finding the battery standing up very well. I've been obviously using the unit rather intesely and haven't run out of or near run out of battery power yet. That's using it on and off throughout the day with both WiFi active or on 4G. Started with full charge Monday night and popped back on charge Tuesday night and had used about 25%.

See the pic below, shows current standing and expected hours;

As far as the Android apps are concerned struck no problems. As I said in an earlier report Google downloaded all the apps I've ever had, which included apps that I've had on a Samsung Galaxy Note i phone and HTC One M7 phone and they have all looked and worked as they should, no dramas.

0701836001400224804.gif

Battery.jpg

aussiejovijo
Level 1: Cadet

My first tablet was a xoom, gorgeous thing, love it to bits, still better than my tab 2, and yeah I know what you mean about  the weight of it.

looking forward to more about the experia

cheers for the reply

Good afternoon Kat,

I'll slip over to Twitter shortly, (not a big Twitter user I'm afraid), that having been said, @aussiejovijo and @creamy60, there are three other tablets in our household, all of which are Samsung, two notes (Grandchildren) & Daughter with a Samsung ATIV Windows 8 tablet/Keyboard convertable. Needless to say I'm now standing guard over the Xperia, keeping foreign hands at bay.

The display is brighter and clearer than those units I've mentioned. I can't comment re the just out Samsungs as I haven't had the opportunity to see them as yet. My other compassison would again be with my xoom, and the Xperia takes the prize in that contest.

Video on the Xperia is just fine, we'll give a full report on that during the next 48 hours, as this evening we are taking advantage of the Telstra Free Movies Thursday offer and will be suscribing to one of the free Bigpond movies on offer, so that should be a good test.

UPDATE: Just logged into the Bigpond movies, and whilst it says that 10inch + tablets can watch movies, it then tells me that this unit doesn't meet the crteria, so we'll be watching our move on the Tbox!

0701836001400224804.gif

Xperia still:

Xperia still.jpg

As I've said previously, this thing is thin as and light as, here's some pics that show just how thin it is, thinner than an HD pencil in fact.

Also great with both WiFi in home and around the traps with the free bees and 4G connections are powerful.

Z2 Pencil.jpg

Thin.jpg

Experia-Xoom.jpg

WiFi Strength.png

4G Pic2.png

0701836001400224804.gif

Last night we added a copy of the movie 'Oblivion' to the Xperia. It may not be the world's best movie, but the Xperia showed that it's really good for small screen movie viewing.

No lag, great pictures and once we got the sound settings on the Xperia properly setup, fine.

One thing new owners of the Xperia need to do is go into settings and sound, there you'll find a myriad of settings and an equaliser to get the sound up to a reasonable level and palitable to your ears. There are settings for the front facing speakers on the tablet and for headphone connections. Initially I was a bit disappointed with the sound until I went to the sound settings and made adjustments.

We watched a bit of the movie on the Xperia screen, BUT, we then turned on the TV with the T-Box connected and streamed it through there, WOW, not a single dropout, no lag, absolutely perfect from beginning to end. Even Tom cruise looked good for once .... Smiley LOL

Now here's a general tip for people who might be considering the Xperia in fact a tip for whatever device you might be considering, tablet, phone whatever. Sure the glossy brochures always present the devices in the best light and there's a lot of fancy print describing features, sure a good starting point, BUT do a little more homework, search out the user manual for a device you might be considering. These days even for brand spanking new on the market devices the user manual can be googled up and normally downloaded or read on screen in PDF form. Read through the manual and you'll get a better feel for how the device might suit your needs.

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/sgp521/userguide_EN_SGP521_1_Android4.4.pdf

0701836001400224804.gif

byrnenick
Level 2: Rookie

Hi everyone, and sorry for the delay - I have been busy familiarising myself with the tablet and creating a bit of an introduction video for the device which is uploading to YouTube at the moment.

I have used a few different devices, and have swung routinely between the Apple and Android camp. Prior to the Z2, I was using a Google Nexus 5 phone, Macbook Air laptop, and an older iPad tablet. 

What I love most about tablets is their portability, and from a business perspective, how they really force you to focus on what you're doing. I'd love taking my iPad + bluetooth keyboard to the cafe and just getting through a bunch of emails.

But onto the Xperia Z2!

I'm going to write separate article this weekend on the setup process, as there is a few things that can be a little confusing and I feel are best ignored for most people. 

But after the first week of this device. I'm sold. This a pleasure to use. Android apps are still catching up to iOS in that not all apps are really optimized for tablets yet. But the  gap is narrowing.

As someone who uses Google services regularly, this tablet is ideal and a genuine pleasure.

byrnenick

Great questions!

Personally, I prefer the vanilla Android experience that Google intended it for. So it probably comes as no surprise that I don't like Samsung devices generally due to the Samsung software layer. So that said, there just is no comparison, this is easily the best Android tablet in the market at the moment,

I haven't used it up against the Samsung to be a judge of screen. The resolution is slightly less then what we would all call 'retina' in that the eye cannot pick up pixels. However, the screen is still brilliant and I haven't ever looked at the screen and seen pixels or any short fall in terms of resolution.

And it's a brilliant device for watching videos. Sharp colors, and great refresh rate! The bevel around the device could be a good thing or bad thing when it comes to viewing videos, but this is a personal preference and largely superficial.

byrnenick

Hi again - 

My really simple overview of the Z2 Tablet will be available on YouTube shortly via the link below. I've focused on introducing the device, some very basic setup points, and a general review. I hope this is helpful, I'm keen to listen in to a few more of the questions coming through to then make a follow up video.

Yesterday we put the Z2 through it's paces with several movies.

Whilst the screen on the tablet gives an exceptional picture I wanted to try out several different processes that are available with the Z2.

First up we streamed a movie that we had put onboard the tablet it'self to a TV out in the family room through our 'Google Chromecast' device. This was attached to a dumb Plasma screen. We also have tried out the TV remote app that came on the Z2 and it works extremely well. The feed was through our home network modem/router located well away from the viewing room and the Z2 in fact the whole system performed flawlessly. No lag, audio and picture in perfect sync and we had full control of the stopping and starting of the movie and sound from the Z2.

The second movie we sourced from my main pc via the z2 tablet, again through the Chromecast. The z2 accessed the main PC and the Z2 acted as the main controller without a glitch.

NB: Whilst we have put a teaser below, it isn't indicative of the absolute quality of picture and sound that we achieved, it loosses heaps in the rerecording and utube process.

0701836001400224804.gif

Well we watched 'White House Down', the movie last night, via the Z2, great movie and it played without the slightest glitch.

One of the features that I really like with the Z2 is the fact that 1) It has a good SMS/MMS messaging capability & 2) A fully operative out of the box telephone dialer and system.

Now I know what you are going to say, who in there right mind would want to be seen walking around with a 10.6 in tablet hanging off their ear, well certainly not this little Vegemite, I can tell you that, but with the phone system included with the Z2 you don't need to do that, just use it as a speaker phone, either whilst holding or sitting on your desk or with a bluetooth earpiece.

It's works extremely well and includes fast dialing and the usual contacts accessibility and some other surprising features. The two features that grabbed me were the inbuilt ability to handle call forwarding and a fully inbuilt message machine, yep, full services on-board to handle people leaving on board messages when you are unavailable to answer or for what ever reason you turn on the machine. No need to re direct or forward if you don't want to, but that ability is built in also.

For people travelling this makes for a great back up or for that matter main phone if you've left your usual mobile at home or it's lost charge.

I had a bluetooth headset laying around and it paired straight up to the Z2.

Phone screen.png

0701836001400224804.gif

As you might have gathered from my previous posts, I'm impressed by the Sony Xperia Z2 tablet, thus far, BUT that isn't to say that there aren't a couple of things that you need to be aware of.

There's been talk around the traps about the screen on the Z2 being a magnet for finger prints, well lets face it, any sheet of glass or the like will attract finger prints BUT, I've found that after unboxing the unit  immediately cleaning the tablet surface with a spray on Glasses cleaning fluid did the trick and cut down the finger print attraction. Also we have applied a good quality screen protector to the device. Always do apply one of these to give that added protection to the screen and it hasn't impacted at all with the sensitivity.

One of the big selling points promoted for the Z2 is it's water and dust proofing. Now I'll leave the testing of the water proofing to others or at best take Sony's word for it, as Telstra management have requested that I don't post up pictures while I'm surfing the net in the bath or sending MMS's whilst in the shower. glass

On that point this is another aspect of the Z2 that could be a weak spot. At the top of the device are the water/dust proofing caps over the simcard/SD slots and the USB/charging point. I'm concerned for several reasons about these, one if you have big fingers like me they are hard to open and two constantly opening and closing for charging I think could lead to failure.

To get around this problem it has been worth investing all of $8 on a magnetic charging cable. At the bottom of the Z2 is a sealed but non covered magnetic charging point. This can be used with the Sony charging dock/s (Charging dock around $59 or the charging dock/speakers around $259), but the cable I obtained does the same, just plugs into the USB slot on the charger and then magnetically to the spot on the Z2 and no more opening and closing of fragile covers.

Z2 Sockets.jpg

Magnet 2.jpg

Magnetic cable.jpg

We've also invested in a Cover/case for the unit. Yes we love the fact that the Z2 is so slim, but the case really doesn't add any noticeable bulk or weight, BUT will afford the device just than big bit of protection. It also acts as a stand AND when you close the cover puts the Z2 into sleep mode automatically and when opened again, wakes the unit up, very nifty. Around $59 for the genuine Sony unit from our local Telstra shop or you can find some non genuine on ebay for around $12.95. They allow full access to all access points/ speakers; on off and volume switches, the headphone socket, camera lens and the magnetic charging point mentioned earlier. You can also mount your unit in a magnetic desk charger with these cases on.They also have various angles to stand your unit for typing or movie viewing etc.

Case.jpg

0701836001400224804.gif

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey team,

Great job on the reviews so far - some additional questions for you here (if you have already addressed please ignore)

o   How do you rate the feature apps? 

o   How do you rate the display in comparison to your other devices?

o   How do you rate the performance of the operating system?

o   How do you rate the Xperia for:

-  Gaming?
-  Emails?
-  Messaging?
-  Social media ?
-  Watching videos?

o   What do you consider to be the overall pros and cons for the Xperia?

o   If you had the option what would you change with this tablet?

byrnenick

One week on with the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet

It's been a week plus a few days now with the Sony Xperia Tablet Z2 and we're all generally impressed. Personally, it's a really comfortable device to pull out, sit on the couch and do some reading and web browsing. So for a large majority, this is awesome news. It's a dream.

I contemplating what I thought about the display. I don't think it's bad, but it doesn't leap out at you as a feature in the same way that an iPad might. It's only a marginal point though - the colors are great and watching movies a dream, and not something that you'll be kicking yourself for overlooking later.

Android performance is great. Snappy and sharp, but with one exception that I outline below (accidental button strikes). I'm a purest, and would prefer a vanilla Android install, ridding the tablet of the Sony additions to make the device overall lighter. But again, this device is still the sharpest and best in the market in my mind, so these are improvements that would just make it even better.

But I'd consider myself a bit more of a productivity user and to that end, there's been just one thing annoying me. The location of the android multitasking button (bottom right of the device). When typing on the tablet, I seem to frequently accidently hit the multitask button, revealing the app switcher. It's pretty annoying but #firstworldproblems hey. Hopefully later revisions of the android keyboard will see the bottom soft buttons hidden when using the keyboard to prevent this from happening.

Feature Apps 

I didn't realise just how many apps Sony had preloaded onto the device until I populated the full list for this blog article. And I'm still thinking I've probably missed one or two! As I eluded to in the early impressions youtube that I posted, many of these Sony apps are just plain useless and worth ignored. I'm going to go through what ones I think you should pay attention to, and which ones you'd be best avoiding (at least until after you've settled in with your Tablet). 

Let's start with the one's that I don't think you should worry about:

• Explore 
  • Playstation
  • Playstation Mobile
  • Smart Connect
  • Social Life News
  • Sony Mobile AU YouTube
  • Sony Select
  • Xperia Link
  • Xperia Transfer Mobile
  • Xperia Lounge
  • Sony Appstore

Apps that are worth you taking a look at:

• Album
  • Movies
  • Walkman

All of these apps look gorgeous and are a delight to use (I have included some screen shots below). In the end, I chose to stick with the media apps that I already know and love, for example - Spotify for music, and iTunes for movies. But I do see the movies app here useful for playing back any videoes that I may have saved to a microSD card or something like that. 

The exception being Album. The Sony Album is wonderful and miles ahead of the Android stock app. I'm sure you'll enjoy storing all of your photos in there.

Screenshot_2014-06-23-21-34-23.png

Finally, the Sony Remote Control (not listed) app was interestingly good, I think. I didn't give it a whole lot of time as I presumed that it would only play nice with other Sony devices. However, much to my delight - it has a range of manufacturers that it supports. So I spent the evening quietly confusing my fiance by turning off the television while she was watching her show (well, not the whole night, but just for a quick giggle). Worth having a look for yourself to see if it will be useful.

What I'm looking at this week?

Last week I spent settling into the tablet, getting comfortable setting it up and starting to use it for business uses (mostly emails). This week I'm going to focus more on entertainment, being games; messaging; social media; and videos - posting updates and thoughts along the way. 

Overall Pro's & Con's for the Xperia Tablet

So far the pro's for this tablet are:

• Aesthetic and design - sexy device that is great to hold in your hand
  • Experience - a really snappy Android experience

Cons

• A lot of Sony apps that I don't see a use for, just taking the overal polish off the product
  • Pre-installed Sony Launcher

If you had the option what would you change with this tablet?

The hardware is perfect. Sony just needs to get out of the way and let the hardware plus Android sell itself.

To that end, I'd lean the Sony Launcher right up, or just distribute it using the Google Vanilla Android launcher. Also, I would do away with the Sony appstore and all the other apps. Exception being any that are used to interface with the Playstation that I haven't had a chance to look at directly.

One of the programs I find handy here on the Z2 is the ' Office Pro' app. I have had it before on several android devices and find it offers a great platform for creating Windows type documents. It's a complete suite of Office type programs which allow you to create and process and tackle a range of of the usual word and excel and other windows tasks.

There's full formatting and it's easy and clear to use, and it's good to see that Sony have included it with the Xperia.

I do agree with Byrnenick that there are a number of what I'd call useless apps that are packaged by Sony, however it's the old story, one man's treasure etc. Other's might find a use for them. I'm more than happy with the display and find it very clear and sharp.

The overall system is fast in moving from task to task, program to program. We've had no hangs or glitches whatsoever while giving this solid use during the past week.

Not a big gaming user, but have found the likes of 'angry Bird's runs as smooth as silk.

Facebook is fast and responsive and if anything is faster to respond here on the Z2 than on my main Pc.

The video experience we've highlighted in an earlier posting, excellent.

Email and messaging performance great and as I've highlighted earlier the Z2 offering the ability to make and receive full phone calls, call forward from within the device and having an insult fully function message machine is a real bonus.

This post made and entered from the Telstra/Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet.

Sig 2

Roundup.png

Here's an update on further features of the Z2 that we have now tried.

Last night we gave the music programs a good  workout. Sony have included several good programs if you are into downloading music and the device handles it well.

Whilst it has front facing speakers (Like HTC with the One Mobile Phones, they have finally discovered we have ears that face forward, BUT we can't extend them behind devices) and there is a good graphic equalizer on board with presets or you can adjust the sound to your liking manually. Sony have also built into the Z2 noise cancelling!

The ear buds that come in the box aren't too bad, we used a set of beats/buds that came with our HTC One M7, they have a remote on the cord which worked well remotely controlling playback etc. No glitches and a good sound.

There is also a radio tuning program onboard which caught up with all our radio stations, ear phones/buds acting as the aerial for the radio reception.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's been a lot of discussion I've seen about the wider than usual bezel around the screen of the Z2, personally I like it. As a person with big thumbs I find it offers a guard when holding the tablet especially in one hand, against pressing widgets or whatever on the screen accidentally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also gave the bluetooth a workout yesterday afternoon on the way home from bowls, music came streaming  the Z2 Tablet through bluetooth into our cars audio system with no glitches whatsoever.

Last night we paired up a bluetooth stand along keyboard and again performance was first class.

Sig 2

Bezel.jpg

This morning spent on the banks of Lake MacQuarie, Newcastle. Took the Xperia along and grabbed a few shots with the camera. Whilst a lot of people laugh if you say you are going to grab some snap shots with a tablet, the device can be handy if you aren't toting around your full blown DSLR and can give quiet reasonable results.

The Xperia has both front and back facing cameras, the front facing works fine for Kruddies (Selfies .. if you must) or skype situations. The rear camera results this morning are below. NB, the Xperia doesn't have a flash with the rear camera, and for the life of me can't figure out why they have ommitted that. There's a comprehensive range of settings and effects built into the Z2 along with apps for after shooting touch ups and effects.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

This next one is for our Honoured Contributor Wanglese.

DSC_0003.JPG

Sig 2

BenFuller
Level 3: Gumshoe

Have to say I have found your down to earth reviews and comments very helpful and interesting. I can see you like the Sony but it's also been good that you have pointed out any short comings too deanja,

So often there isn't a balance by people when they write about products. Well done.

Mickb83
Level 10: Junior Detective

Some good shots of Lake Macquarie, beautiful part of the world up here.
I'm tossing up on a Windows 8 tablet or the Z2 tablet. You're posts have been very helpful in my decision making process, I already have a Z2 mobile so a tablet would just be like a bigger phone. The only thing swaying me towards the windows tablet is the flexibility of using it for work (work system doesn't Play well with Android). Now it's a tough decision.

Yes Mick, one of Australia's un-discovered U-beaut spots. (Photos were taken at Warners Bay)

So as we approach the end of week two (2) evaluating the Telstra/Sony Xperia Z2 Android tablet we have drawn some conclusions about the device.

Pros:

• Extremely light weight, a big plus.

• Well built, the usual quality we’ve always know from Sony.

• Screen presentation is bright and handles everything you throw at it clearly, with good touch sensitivity.

• The 4G radio in the unit is second to none, better than our mobile phone, whilst the WiFi performance has been extremely good on both 2.4 GHZ n band and fast as on the 5 GHZ n and the new AC bands. Our Modem Router which is AC capable and the Z2 which is also AC capable never missed a beat.

• Video on the Z2 is glitch less, and we found the same when streaming via our T-Box and from one end of the house to the other with a Google Chromecast dongle connected to a dumb TV.

• Music performance no problems

• Big plus for the Z2’s ability to make and receive phone calls, the inbuilt ability to call forward to another mobile or landline, and a big big plus for the built in answering machine. SMS and MMS messaging fast as.

• A comprehensive range of apps on board including ‘Office Pro Suite’, (which we are using right now to prepare this post on the Z2) handles all windows office functions well.

• We have added a lot of extra applications and the memory of the device has hardly been dented. We also added a 64 G Micro SD card, class 10 extreme, and have been able to transfer a heap of apps; photos and video over to it with the on-board app manager. (Contrary to other devices which don’t allow this function when running Android Kit-Kat.)

• Battery performance has been great, standby giving days and days, with solid daily use much lower battery drain than other comparable units that we have tried.

Cons or what changes would I make to the device:

• I’d like to see the covers on the USB slot and the micro Sim/SD card slots re designed as I’m concerned that opening and closing of them constantly, obviously the USB access point for charging might have a limited lifespan. We have got around this problem by charging via the magnetic charging point on the bottom of the tablet via an $8 cable, but have also ordered a charging/speaker dock.

• Whilst we love the nil weight factor and slim profile of the Z2 I would urge anyone investing in one to get a case, we’ve got the Sony Style case which hasn’t added any significant weight, but offers a great measure of protection, along with a screen protector.

If you are looking for a fast and efficient all rounder Tablet I would say this is one unit you should checkout.

I’d like to thank Yannick and KatRoberts for affording me the opportunity to evaluate this unit and hope that those who have followed our ramblings have found them of assistance, and if there are questions about any aspect of the Xperia Z2 Tablet that we haven’t covered please feel free to post your questions and we’ll answer them post haste.

Finally I would suggest to a certain 'Nice Guy'  who haunts the offices and corridors of 'Telstra Crowd Support', and who happens to be having a Birthday on the 6th of July, HPPY Birthday

if the family won't shout you a Z2, drop some hints to your staff and if that fails, let the moths fly out of your wallet or dust off your credit card, and get yourself one for your birthday. You'll find them at your local Telstra shop, or buy on-line. Laugh

Sig 2

Raymondo1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Have been holding off on our tablet purchase, looked at the Samsung lastest and the Sony, but you have elped me with my decission so I'll be getting a Xperia today. Thank you.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@DEANJA 

lol, I have actually dusted off the credit card and submitted the online order for a brand new Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet on Monday night. Thank you for going above and beyond with your review of the first table review in Mobile Insider everyone in the team impressed with your honest feedback.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Well that's good to hear.

Here's an update from a post that we made last week regarding Thanks Thursday Movies from Bigpond movies on the Z2 and the inability to get the movies on the Z2.

Tonight we have been able to get full flawless download, streaming playing of the movie, 'The Time Travellers Wife'. Came through loud and clear ...... Smiley Happy

Sig 2

On many occassions here on Crowd Support the question arises about changing sim cards. New Phone or Tablet - different size sim card in the new device, and the process involved. eg: normal sim but now requiring say a micro sim.

The Xperia Z2 takes a micro sim, and during the period of appraising this unit we have been using a prepaid sim, whicvh has served us extremely well. Having now decided to switch our tablet operations from a Xoom tablet to the Z2 permantely which meant normal post paid account sim to micro.

Called into our  local Telstra shop (Westfield Centre, Kotara) greeted by the Store Manager Britt James, who is now a bit of a celebrity locally having stared in the latest Telstra Commercial with Jessica Mauboy (See video below).

Took along one of our Telstra bills with the number highlighted, took all of 60secs to be issued with the new micro sim and by the time I had returned home, popped it in the Z2 it was fully operational as paid of our post paid services.

Painless, quick and effective and the price was right, free of charge

Sig 2

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Wow Deanja,

You have definitely gone above and beyond in review of the of the Sony Xperia Z2 tablet, i hope the next batch of Mobile Insiders can delivery similar insight. Big thank you...

Cheers
Yannick

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Well, I knew we were onto a winner with this tablet;

The Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet has followed in its predecessors footsteps by winning the EISA European Tablet of the Year award for 2014-2015. EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) holds yearly awards for the best in consumer technology. Last year the Xperia Tablet Z, won the same award, so it’s good to see Sony dominate this category two years in a row.

Sig

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now