Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

#MobileInsider – Telstra Pre-Paid 4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Plus

mobinsider.png

Hi everyone!

Our reviewers have received (or should receive very soon!) their Telstra Pocket Wi-Fi devices and the reviews will begin here. 

If you'd like to be chosen as a Mobile Insider or would like to find out more please click here.

@DrQ and @TrentNETau are our amazing reviewers this time around, so watch this space for their feedback. 

Please post below if you'd like the reviewers to keep anything particular in mind when they're writing about their first impressions of the devices. 

You can read more about the Telstra Pre Paid Pocket Wi-Fi here 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
dataexcellence
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: #MobileInsider – Telstra Pre-Paid 4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Plus

What is the battery life like?
How many simultaneous devices can you connect?
Is there any noticeable lag if you are using it in a moving vehicle, eg a train?

--
DMW
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Would love to see an image of the device in action. How long does it take to set up?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 24: Supreme Being

Battery life has been my biggest gripe with the device, it only lasts about an hour for me with two devices connected.

I was able to connect 7 devices to it successfully and all were able to access the Internet successfully

I used it without a problem on an about 4 hour drive and had no issues with it changing towers or anything like that. It was very smooth, other then the two points on the trip when there was no 3G/4G connection for about 500m each, but yeah no problem otherwise.

Kat, it was very easy to set up, comes with sim pre-installed, paired it up and the web manager app came up and stepped me through the activation process. My only issue is that the activation page obviously had something that wanted an active connection to load, because the page loaded but the form wouldn't. I had to connect to another connection to activate online.

Kat is have pics, once I am home I will upload a couple to insta and link them here. Smiley Happy
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 21: Augmented

How does the speed compare to using your phone as a hotspot.

In the city (Melbourne) I was getting speeds on my phone (iPhone 6) of about 44Mbps, on my 4G Advance II of 76Mbps and on the my pocket of 108Mbps, although all three were getting uploads between 20-30Mbps... In "the country" I have been getting speeds about 30-35Mbps on both the my pocket and 4G advance II and about 25Mbps on my phone.

On 3G only, it is slower then both my phone and the wifi advance which both had about 18-20Mbps and it had only 12Mbps.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Ok, so as I said before I have some pics for the device Smiley Happy If you want to see anything specific I can try take more, but I have a few as a starting point at least.

In its box:

https://instagram.com/p/3u6Q03EhcG/

Just by itself:

https://instagram.com/p/4D3LGVEhdz

Size comparison to the 4G Advance II device (from above):

https://instagram.com/p/4EDEe0khZB

Size comparions to the 4G Advance II device (from size):

https://instagram.com/p/4EDLm9EhZN

Display on the device:

https://instagram.com/p/4EDqsgEhZy

What are your first impressions?

Ok, so my first impression is it is a very clean and simple to use device, while it runs faster (in my tests) on 4G then both my phone and the 4G Advance II, it did run slower on 3G/NextG network. It also had a higher ping rate on both networks then the 4G Advance II, and as a result it was not amazingly practical for anyone planing on using it for any sort of online gaming or any other (although mobile broadband isn't great for this anyway).  

Pros:

The connection speed is great on 4G/4GX networks

Very simple to use and set up

Multiple devices can connect without any major reduction in service 

Cons:

Very slow on 3G/NextG network

Poor Battery Life

No control on device - can only be done via browser

Control options are very limited and were hard to do via a tablet device

Comparison on different devices:

To ensure the best results, I have completed test on Window7, and Windows 8.1 devices, as well as on Mac OS X (10.10 - Yosemite, and 10.9 Mavericks), in additon I have also tested it on both iOS and Android mobile/tablet devices. The results have been quite consistant between all and it has been very easy to use with each.  

Would I recommend this device:

I believe that this device would be great for someone who is more limited in computer knowledge, once you have registered the device the process after this is very simple, it will connect to devices easy, provides a great connection with a great speed. I would be more then happy to recommend this device to an elderly or more limited family member or friend who wanted an internet connection which was simple or wanted one on the go without any hassle. I personally think I prefer the extra features and options of the 4G Advance II, however for a basic, straight forward, and simple to use device this one is very good.  

Helpful Links

Level 18: Intelligence Chief

I have one of these, have had for a while,

"comes with sim pre-installed, paired it up and the web manager app came up and stepped me through the activation process. My only issue is that the activation page obviously had something that wanted an active connection to load, because the page loaded but the form wouldn't. I had to connect to another connection to activate online."

I remember seeing it up from my phone which was quite easy, but if I didn't have an alternate internet connection at the time, wouldn't have been possible. Would be great to see it put in place that the device wasn't throttled using unmetered set up page.

Battery is my biggest offsite with the device, not only usage but standby time. If not used the my pocket will totally discharge in something like/ close to 72 hours. Of course you can connect it to your PC/tablet, but that sort of defeats the purpose 🙇

What are your thoughts on data usage, fast slow average. I find the device seems to eat through data at an incredibly fast rate?
#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One M7, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930, 830, 635, 530, Optus Lumia 950

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution

Yeah, with usage and standby it is flat within 12 hours, and by usage I mean even with minimal usage... I would say if you tried to connect multiple devices and all stream it would be flat in seconds... that being said, if you were going away or something and could plug it in and just needed it for some basic internets it would be great Smiley Happy

Yeah, I had never used a pre-paid broadband, I have had a USB one on a plan for a few years now, and I sort of know how far 4GB will get me on my 4G Advance, but it does seem to burn through data pretty quickly... I can only assume that because it is significantly faster again - either it loaded everything higher quality or I unconsciously viewed more things... could also be the lack of the unmetered content when compared to my BigPond plan, that too would make a difference...

I would be interested to put the new large recharge on it (the 16GB one) and see how it goes using it as a primary device... it is a bit hard with 3GB to actually compaire with other net sources.

Helpful Links

Community Manager

Thanks for the detailed review there @DrQ 

I know that @TrentNETau has recieved theirs, hopefully they'll be able to come along very soon to put thier review forward Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

No problem @Gamgees, if anyone had any other questions I am happy to answer them too Smiley Happy
Helpful Links

TrentNETau
Level 2: Rookie

Hey!

A little bit delayed to the chase but I've been on the move a bit lately, despite this it has been a good environment to test the Pre-Paid 4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Plus device that Telstra graciously provided me with for the #MobileInsider review.

Being in the Broadcasting & IT sectors I found the ability to be involved in this review delightful as I had a perfect environment to test it in, I carry an iPhone 6 Plus & Microsoft Surface Pro 3 around with me daily as I not only complete my day job as a radio announcer, but look after a community broadcaster and provide some minor IT support to a couple of other smaller organisations...not to mention the fact I attended a conference a few hours from my place during the testing time.

A video of the unboxing of the device, some first impressions

First impressions from receiving the device...the packaging is nice and compact, fresh & funky with enough detail about the product for me to get a good idea of what is can do and what it supports without needing to stand in the store researching the device further before making a purchasing decision.

Inside the box you will find the device with SIM already inserted, wall charger and lead, some guides on getting started with the device and the Telstra mobile network, plus a little sticker you can attach to something detailing the default Wireless ID and passcode.

Looking at the device more extensively I think it’s a great clean very well rounded design in white with a well placed LCD screen and easy access to the SIM should you need to swap to another or use it with multiple cards.

All access to power buttons, one touch Wireless security configs and the SIM point as well as a reset button if things go Pear shaped are spaced reasonably and are not difficult to operate when holding it in your hand.

I love the fact that despite the price tag of the unit, the addition of antenna sockets have been added which makes it great for someone who might need to connect an antenna to get some better reception on the device.
Usually you have to pay more money for a device that is capable of taking external antennas.

I was a little disappointed from opening the box to find that the device did not have any charge at all from factory packing and I had to plug it in for 3-4 hours before I could get started. Usually I find that manufacturers like to test their devices so that they work straight out of the packet giving the batteries a little base charge…which then in turn gives the new owner a moment to be able to power it up and have a mess about before charging and getting serious.

Startup time was less than 30 seconds and it locks onto a signal as fast as a mobile phone.

The LCD display is a great source of information at your fingertips.

The top half of the display shows how many bars you have, the amount of Wireless Clients that are connected, network activity through the device as it happens and battery status.

On the lower half it can display the amount of data you have on your account plus the Wifi network name & password so connecting is a breeze.

Configuring with devices was simple, none of my devices had any dramas with selecting the network and entering the passcode…they just worked immediately once connected.

I ran into a spot of bother with being able to activate straight from the box and using the device to connect to the activation website, 11PM at night and Telstra’s activation site was not responding…but connecting to my home Internet connection fixed this.

Online activation was a breeze as the process seems to have been streamlined a little since the last time I activated a prepaid service. Using the service number on the side of the box along with some personal details and a drivers license, I was able to fill the forms out in less than 5 minutes leaving the rest to Telstra’s activation servers which completed in 5 minutes.

I find it very nifty that Telstra not only sends a text to the service but also emails to let you know when the process was completed.

Performance of the device was great in several places that I tested it, speed was consistent on any equipment I connected wirelessly with the device and my comparisons with using the network on my mobile phone…it also doesn’t get inconsistent as you share the connection with multiple devices which is a big plus.

The device was also able to obtain a good signal in areas where my mobile phone may have found it challenging to lock a consistent 4G connection….like for example at the conference I was at in an RSL club, situated in a basement level room with many concrete and metal obstructions and flaky provided Wifi (I turned the device on and used that instead so I could finish some notes on a presentation I was making).

The device also has a web interface that can allow you to keep tabs on your actual data usage, more detailed information on battery power, the ability to read/send text messages as well as adjusting some settings to improve performance like the Wifi signal, a sleep function when the device is not connected to any clients and some firewall functions.

I think that along with the Wireless ID & passcode sticker they could have included the default web interface password because for those not reading the quick start guides fully it could be a small challenge to figure out what the password was. I immediately thought a group of standard default passwords and was able to enter the config page easily.

Battery was as I would expect with any modern mobile network connected device, enough to get you through a day of moderate usage…some would find this a concern but you can use the device while it’s charging as well and there are many affordable options including USB car charger jacks and recharging packs you can connect it up to when you are short of juice.

Aside from the activation hassle I thought it was a great unit, for the money you are spending to get it the device comes with 3GB to get you started and packs so many features into a device you can carry around in your pocket and have at your dispense when you need Internet on the go.

I would recommend this product to friends and family that need something that is not too complex and not expensive to configure and get going online using the Telstra mobile network.

The device was easier to use as a wireless hotspot than using my mobile phone, which despite a simple settings change does not seem to want to consistently work with my Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

This device would work great for those with basic computer skills after initial setup given the simple controls to turn the device on on and off and having connection info at your fingertips on the colour screen.

"Online activation was a breeze as the process seems to have been streamlined a little since the last time I activated a prepaid service."

This is a great point, and since the last time I had activated one, it now allowed me to log in via my Telstra ID and obviously was able to grab most of the required information from my Customer Profile as it didn't require me to enter most of the previously required information and when I was in store the other day it was showing on the system under my customer profile (meaning it is easier for staff to find if they ever needed, so they could help me easier and better) Smiley Happy

Because of the fact I didn't have to enter all the information after logging into my Telstra ID, the entire activation process was about a min or two, and as Trent said, the confirmation of activation was only about 5 min later. 

Helpful Links

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Awesome video @TrentNETau! Would love to see some images too please of the device in action Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Community Manager

Hey @DrQ, when you talked about the poor speed experience on the 3G network, have you found that this is the case is most areas you go no matter the device/handset or is it unique to this device? @TrentNETau did you find similar issues when connecting to the 3G network?

Also, @TrentNETau you did mention the battery life was around what you expected, did this match up with @DrQ's comments? 

I've got one of these devices myself and I have to agree with the comments on how quick and easy it is to set up and connect each time. Using it mostly while travelling, it's just so much easier than using the hotspot via mobile. I have found that the battery life has been pretty good though, more than a day, even with standby. Granted, I haven't used it for really long periods of time just getting updated with social media on the laptop. 

I'd love to hear if @GlennL @Yeldarb or @Wanglese had any comments or questions on this one - I've seen some of activity from you all in our pre paid wireless boards - have you guys used the current device? 

It wasn't really slow as such, like it would be in what would be considered normal 3G/NextG speeds at about 5Mbps, it was just considerably slower then my iPhone 6 and my 4G Advance II which at the same time got over 12Mbps... I mean it isn't something I would complain about if I had only seen the single speed, just in compairson to the two other devices.

I haven't been able to get it to last a day unless it is completely on standby. Even with minor usage the most I got was about 12 hours.
Helpful Links

Level 21: Augmented

For me the biggest issue with these devices is not the device itself its when to use it.

I don't fancy getting another data plan just to use on a mobile hotspot.

I have one of these myself, but only used it once and then the next time the credit had expired.

I find it was easy to setup but some people might get lost in the web setup.

I like that these devices do WPS for easy Wifi setup for supported devices.

It's funny to be a walking wireless access point lol

I recently got the 4G My Pocket Wi-Fi Ultimate which I find is a far superior device.

The Ultimate has a removable battery and can be used in a dock which can provide ethernet which is lacking in the Plus.

I think for these devices really to succeed there needs to be greater awareness and better access to data share plans.
TrentNETau

@katroberts Will get some shots over the weekend, including the action it is in for across the weekend providing a 4G connection to Community Radio Outside Broadcasting equipment via a little rig.

@Gamgees based upon my sporadic usage pattern I have been able to get a week of using it for an hour a day while I am away from an ADSL connection at home.

3G connection speeds are usually in most areas "poor" as they are the first to congest, it is certainly the case in the town I reside...it's slow to grab things you want off the net and you can't use it to send/recieve audio over IP.

I am fortunate enough to live in a town with new 4G services, I work in a regional city well covered by 4G and the drive home is quite alright for the streaming I do on my devices.

I am wondering if @DrQ has adjusted the Wifi signal quality settings to drop them down to save battery?

It is the first thing that I did when I realised you could do it as the lowest setting is perfect for the average connection beside the laptop or phone and it will save the juice!

@GlennL I do agree that the web panel could become confusing for those who are not savvy, providing someone knowledgable sets the device up...it could easily be used just turning it on and using it as it is, checking usage on Telstra's website and recharging balances via the web.

TrentNETau

Here's an action shot I took of the unit being used in conjunction with a Community Radio Outside Broadcast that I was conducting, I have another one lined up tomorrow for a few hours.

The unit was plugged into the power for the duration of the broadcast so we had no inconsistancies with connection, the Surface Pro 3 is controlling our Radio Playout back at the studio over TeamViewer and the Tieline audio link back to the studio is connected to an ASUS router running in Client mode to recieve the My Pocket Wi-Fi Plus.

Broadcast from the local supermarket went to air from 9AM-1PM without a drama.

InsiderTieline.jpg

Community Manager

That's really awesome, @TrentNETau - shows quite a bit of power for such a tiny device! Smiley Happy 

It's interesting to hear about the standby/usage time on that battery and how much it varies. Potentially, @DrQ the fringe coverage areas might be making the device work harder and deplete the battery more? After you use the modem, do you just leave it in standby all the time, or do you turn off? Perhaps we are using it differently and this is what is showing different amounts. I use mine for probably longer than an hour in any one stint, but then turn it off. Even doing this, I find I still get a good few days before needing to charge the battery again. 

I am in an area where when it is connecting it is flicking between 3G/4G/4GX, we are technically only in an NextG area, but we are on the fringe of one towns 4G and the other towns 4GX towers, so it is possible the flicking between signals may be having an influence.

I had tried both turning it off and standby, obviously it does last longer when turned off however a few sessions of use and it is flat again, maybe about 4 hours of actual usage time.

@TrentNETau, I had modified the settings and it improved it, but not a ton, I think it might come back to the fringe coverage here as @Gamgees said, it would be the only logical influence...

Saying that, my phone does go flat quicker here then it does when I am anywhere else...

Weird thing is the 4G Advance II doesn't have the same issue, It will last 48 hours in stand-by/usage time... but it doesn't seem to flick as much, seems to hold the one connection better.

I am going into the city tomorrow to help a friend out, so I will charge it up fully and see how it goes when we connect all the devices up together and put it under a bit of a load Smiley Very Happy

Helpful Links

@Gamgees,

I was able to test it out again in the city, on a more stable connection... with two laptops, two phones and an iPad connected and being used pretty heavily the battery life was much much more impressive then my testing here...

We had the set up running with YouTube, emails, MOG all running and after about 4 hours and using up the data it had the battery will still over half...

So I would say it is just the network jumping here playing a part in it.
Helpful Links

Also took a phone of it powering the two laptop and the iPad, obviously my phone wasn't in the picture as I was using

https://instagram.com/p/4n1aVwEhQW/

Helpful Links

Level 18: Intelligence Chief

My issue with charge on this is that if I leave the unit off, for more than a day, day and a half, out will go flat, even from a full charge.
#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One M7, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930, 830, 635, 530, Optus Lumia 950

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution
TrentNETau

@pedah have you considered the idea of chasing it up with Telstra?

It sounds like a sick battery.

settlerbill
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hello to anyone that can answer my question. I have a postpaid wifi modem i no longer need, as i am now have NBN.Can i give it to somebody now that the account has been cancelled.

Community Manager

Hi settlerbill,

The recipient will need a new sim card to put into the device, put you can certainly pass it on if you'd like!

Cheers, Tim 

settlerbill
Level 6: Bloodhound

Thankyou Tim for your prompt reply.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now