CrowdSupport®
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Nokia Lumia 1320 (Windows Phone 8) - Community Review - Part 1

Nokia_1320.jpg

The Nokia Lumia 1320 on the Telstra 4G network is here. We've given three of our community members the opportunity to put it through its paces over the next two weeks. 

PedahVampireBrigade and broncook76 will be posting their thoughts and reviews here. If you’re interested in the Lumia 1320 and have any questions, make sure you ask them here. To get the ball rolling, here are my  questions:

• What phone were you using before starting the Nokia Lumia 1320 review and what features did you most like about that phone?
  • What steps were involved in setting up your Lumia, and were you able to set it up with ease?
  • Can you video and share on CrowdSupport the Lumia “un-boxing” experience?
  • What do you think about the “Smile Select “and “Object Removal” camera features?  
  • After 1 week what your overall opinion of the phone?

Interested in being part of the next mobile insider program? Make sure you’re contributing to the community and checking in regularly for the next round.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
69 REPLIES 69
inversation
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Nokia Lumia 1320 (Windows Phone 8) - Community Review - Part 1

I'd be curious to know a few things....

- How do you find the speed of speech-to-text on 4G?

- How do you find the navigation options (eg Nokia drive), especially compared to Maps on iOS and Google Maps.

- With the screen size being so big for a WP8 device, how do you feel that impacts its usability?

- Do you find the extra row of tiles useful or not really used?

- What is the battery life for various usage scenarios? (playing games, browsing on wifi/3g/4g, playing videos etc)

- How does it feel to hold and in your pocket, given the size?

Thanks! =)

- Aaron

Level 18: Intelligence Chief

• What phone were you using before starting the Nokia Lumia 1320 review and what features did you most like about that phone?

I suppose it wouldn't surprise anyone to say that I have been using Windows Phone almost exclusively since it's initial release, in 2010, and participated in one of the first social reviews with the HTC Mozart. I've alvays had HTC phones until recently being seduced by the Lumia 1020, as the technology has changed and camera capabilities have gotten better I found the camera to much to resist, Although I have only had it for, well just over a month, My daily driver before that, since it was available was the HTC 8X, So moving to Nokia was a big change especially in terms of the custom software they offer on Windows Phone. I probably need to clarify also that I am  phone addict, and am the sort of person that will carry two phones around most of the time, and that I also have a HTC One at the moment as well. I just got the original HTC Desire before the Mozart, and haven't used Android since, and someone challenged me to use Android for a month so...

As for the 1020, what can I say, every phone is different,but the camera experience, both hardware and software are incredible. The Nokia software, which I had never been able to use before on windows phone really enhances the experience, and has replaced some apps that in the past I paid for, looking to make the camera experience better. Overall though it's hard to pick out too much because going from Nokia to Nokia WP device the experience is very similar except for the camera and the size between the 1020 and the 1520.

• What steps were involved in setting up your Lumia, and were you able to set it up with ease?

If you haven't used Windows Phone before, the set up is not that complicated, if you have it is even easier. On the initial start up the phone will walk you through the setup, allowing you to choose from custom or recommended settings for WP, and once you have put your Windows Live ID into the phone it will pull all of your linked information and contacts, even associated services like twitter and Linked IN directly to the phone. If you are heavily in to the Microsoft ecosystem, all of your account details, like payment accounts, mail preferences etc are transferred automagically. Now the 1320 running the latest Windows Phone update [GDR3] out of the box allows you to select setting up the phone from a stored backup, and it gave me a choice of either the 1020 or the 8X, which was a nice touch, and for returning windows phone users, really an easy way to duplicate the experience across devices. The backup will restore apps and games, not game progress though, chat, and any system settings you have made previously, which doesn't reallyseem like that much, but getting things just right in terms of the OS takes time and experience so it's great to not have to do it if you so choose. No I chose not to restore from a backup, knowing that on both phones apps alone probably exceeded the total inbuilt storage of the 1320, which is 8 Gb, and even though it has expandable storage via SD card up to 64 Gb, at this point apps can not be installed to that storage, although they can be installed from that storage. It is actually always easier to start from scratch anyway, and my MS account has a record of every app I have ever bought and installed, so it is easy enough to browse through on the PC and put the essentials back on. 

• Can you video and share on CrowdSupport the Lumia “un-boxing” experience?

What do you think about the “Smile Select “and “Object Removal” camera features?

Funnily enough the 1320 did not come with Nokia Camera, or smart camera pre installed, and actually have not missed them on the phone. 

• After 1 week what your overall opinion of the phone?

At this point it has only been three days, so there's more to come for sure. I went into this thinking of the 1320 as a budget phone, and I have to admit that I was nicely surprised. It's slick it's solid and the build quality is exemplary, there are no shakes or rattles or loose bits, it really doesn't have any flex in it for the size, and even though it's heavy, well heavier that's to be expected right. The screen is incredibly good, although in some apps that have not the best graphics, or are older the text appears a little pixelated, furry around the edges. Not the case with straight text in the browser or OS and the majority of apps, just a couple of apps I use. It's a big screen for a 720p resolution, but images do not appear washed out, and the main camera does perform with the windows phone default camera app really well. 

To be honest though, it scares me a bit, the size on one hand is great, on the other it's obtrusive, and I'm walking on eggshells a bit worried about sitting on it, it fits in a back pocket but just. It definitely feels like a two handed phone although the finish is grippier than the 1020. Again though this takes time with any new device. If I want to work on the phone, typing long messages, or docs etc, feels like I have to be seated and stable. The phone though is a pleasure to use, and I have been able to actually work on the device, I mean really work, communicate, create and share documents, keep up with social networking a lot more easily and read with ease. The camera, while it isn't some monster, performs more than sufficiently. I'm not far from Melbourne CBD, so data performance is really good, there's no where that I have been with the phone yet, even some dead spots that I know of where I haven't had at least a couple of bars of 4G signal. 

The phone performs really well, in fact better than I expected, there is no lag at all in the OS, in fact it feels a little more fluid than the 1020, which is saying something. One little annoyance though, the familiar Windows phone buttons have/give haptic feedback every time they are used. Because of the larger size and the space in between them, and the target area size seemingly no bigger than a smaller device, you can miss the buttons. but the haptic feedback cannot be toggled off. Just a bug bear for me, others may not find it a nuisance.

I'm still not quite convinced about the whole phablet form factor popularity, but given time and familiarity... 

After all as humans adaptability has to be one of our biggest assets.

#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One M7, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930, 830, 635, 530, Optus Lumia 950

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution

@inversation wrote:

I'd be curious to know a few things....

- How do you find the speed of speech-to-text on 4G?

Thanks! =)

- Aaron

Aaron, I think I covered most of your questions but speech to text, am wondering if you meant text to speech, 

#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One M7, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930, 830, 635, 530, Optus Lumia 950

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution
VampireBrigade
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hello everyone,

My name is Popi (username) is VampireBrigade reporting for duty!

I am one of the reviewers of the Nokia Lumia 1320 and I am happy to be here and to meet all of you.

Here's to hoping this phone will meet above and beyond expectations for all who are interested in it :-)

Have a wonderful day all and will have more information for you as I start testing and using it.

Best regards

VampireBrigade.

Apart from a dog, only a Vampire will love you forever!
broncook76
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi everyone! Another one of the new Insider review crew checking in for duty. My phone arrived today, so will be checking back in shortly with my initial thoughts & answers to the proposed questions.

This is my first experience with a phablet - I'm currenly a Galaxy SIII & iPad user - so this will be very interesting to try out the hybrid.

nokiaarrival.jpg

VampireBrigade

Hello everyone,

I am here to show you the 'unboxing experience' of the Nokia Lumia 1320 by uploading my video. Its actually very easy and totally un-complicated.

I think the 'less is best' quote totally applies here, giving you only the bare essentials that you will need when using this phone. Any extras of course can be purchased separately.

Upon looking at the phone its quite LARGE, its thin but its bulky at the same time and has some weight to it. It reminds me of a small tablet.

Being a woman, I like thin, light and totally portable. I would feel like I'd need an extra handbag just to put this phone in it! LOL! Having said that, that is only judging a book by its cover (which no one should do) and in no way will take away from its performance! I can't wait to try this baby out and believe in all my experience of Nokia in the past that it will be worth it. I have not as yet received my SIM card to start trailing and testing this phone but I will share more information with you all when I am able to do that. In the meantime, enjoy the video.

Have a great day!

VampireBrigade.

Click on 'Unboxing Experience' Below and ENJOY!

Unboxing Experience

VampireBrigade

My apologies everyone,

My unboxing video did not upload properly so I am currently uploading it to You Tube so I will provide the link as soon as its available.

Won't be much longer now.

Thank you for your patience.

Don't you just hate it when things crash at the last second!

broncook76

Morning everyone!

Here is my unboxing video 

please excuse the laundry in the background, I only realised it was visible after I shot the entire thing and wasn't about to start again.

First impressions - I love the crispness and clearness of the screen and entering text via the keypad was a dream. It's a new OS for me though - I'm used to Android - so I felt like a bit of a dummy finding my way around the interface. And figuring out the side buttons.

Still waiting on the SIM as well to really take the trial to town.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hey team

excited to hear more about your expereinces

would love to see what the photo quality is like- can i give you a little challenge to post an epic food photo? Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

VampireBrigade

Hey Kat,
I totally think I can manage that! Once I get the sim it will be up and posted! Thats if I dont eat it first! LOL! :-)
broncook76

Challenge accepted!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi team,

We have some additional questions for you from Twitter

@danieltickell : how does the phone feel in the hand, light and cheap or heavy and expensive?

@romireVids : How powerful is the 1320 Lumia?

@captaincaple : What are the compatible phone accessories that you can purchase (headphones)?

@davidklemke : What's the enterprise app integration capabilities like for the 1320? Any recent improvements?

@Komical:  a review I read about the 1320 mentioned that the build quality was cheap/average. Fair analogy??

@ivabiggun71 : How about a child's perspective of this phone? A great iPad Mini alternative and to contact parents

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

VampireBrigade

Hi all I have answered most of the questions for Twitter except three of them as I have not received my SIM card as yet but I hope the people I have answered so far, being :

@danieltickell

@captaincaple

@Komical

@ivabiggun71 

Find the information useful :-)

Have a great day!

VampireBrigade

@danieltickell : how does the phone feel in the hand, light and cheap or heavy and expensive?

The phone feels heavy and awkward in your hand, but definitely does NOT feel light and cheap.

@captaincaple : What are the compatible phone accessories that you can purchase (headphones)?

I found some examples of compatible accessories for the Lumia 1320 here http://www.mobile-mate.com.au/browseItems.html;jsessionid=9E8552E88ED32279EE85AC1EC9AB00EF?model=Lum...

These are just examples of what you can purchase but I would definitely suggest buying from reputable places with original accessories as to avoid warranty voiding.

@Komical:  a review I read about the 1320 mentioned that the build quality was cheap/average. Fair analogy??

I do not believe this phone is build is cheap at all, I think you get a lot more in what the phone actually provides you than what you actually pay for. I think this phone and its price are way more than what you pay for. More action and entertainment than dollar value paid.

@ivabiggun71 : How about a child's perspective of this phone? A great iPad Mini alternative and to contact parents

My personal opinion for a child? I think this phone with all its sub menu's make it way too BUSY for a child. I believe the iPad is a far better user interface as compared to this, and it may be a little more complicated for a child. But as for contacting your parents YES a phone does help. Although if iPad has a SIM card you can use it to contact people you need to with a handset which you can buy separately.

I hope this helps a little and thank you for your questions.

Have a great day!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Some more Qs from Twitter

@Phiali : what's it like to use OneDrive on there to manage photos? How's Nokia StoryTeller to share details about a trip?

and : in daily use how do you find the practicality of the 6" screen on the 1320?

Saying that the phone is a "Budget" phone from Nokia, only applies in price and the lack of some features. the build quality though is superb, you would not know that it cost a lot less than other similar sized devices on the market. Nokia has not skimped on the build quality at all, and I can only suggest you have a look at the Lumia 720 and 520 which are also examples of this. In fact I would say that the way that the 1320 is put together, it is possibly more sturdy than you would expect.

@romireVids : How powerful is the 1320 Lumia?

Power? If you meant how does the phone handle the OS and apps, there is no indication that it lacks anything in that regard. If you mean battery life, I have been doing some testing and well the figures on the screenshot below give some indication. I would say that battery life was achieved with moderate to heavy usage, and of course there were periods of no use, as I have to sleep. Most of that period wifi and mobile data were active.

wp_ss_20140218_0012.png

Sorry, I haven't looked into accessories at all, I found it very hard with the Lumia 1020 to find very much in the local market, and I have preferred headset, which came with a previous phone that I stil use. I rarely use phone covers and the like, I find them unneccessary.

@davidklemke : What's the enterprise app integration capabilities like for the 1320? Any recent improvements?

Not something that I could really comment on!

I really think the phone doubles quite well as a small tablet, call quality is great, as well as messaging. In terms of price a really great alternative to the iPad [well almost anything is] but there is not a lot missing in terms of apps, or alternative apps for entertainment on the OS these days to say your kids will not have what all their peers have. 

#WinPhan

@katroberts wrote:

would love to see what the photo quality is like- can i give you a little challenge to post an epic food photo? Smiley Happy

No food, but here are a few shots, remember that the phone does not come with Nokia Camera installed, so some of these are from the stock camera app as well. and a couple are doubles comparing to the Lumia 1020

WP_20140206_15_16_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20140208_12_41_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20140208_12_41_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20140208_14_43_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20140208_14_42_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20140214_16_58_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20140217_17_55_35_Smart.jpg

#WinPhan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Wow - amazing photos - how did yu do the skateboarding one? 

Can you clasrify what you mean by the phone not having the Nokia camera installed? Is it difficult to install it?

VampireBrigade

WOW alright! Completely agree!!!!!! I feel left out! I still don't have a SIM to test anything on it :-( Keep up the good work everyone your all doing an amazing job!

@katroberts wrote:

Wow - amazing photos - how did yu do the skateboarding one? 

Can you clasrify what you mean by the phone not having the Nokia camera installed? Is it difficult to install it?

Nokia Camera is one of Nokia's suite of imaging apps that allows you some great post editing options, as well as manual control of the camera pre shot. It is software that I assume would be pre installed on all Nokia Windows Phones, but on the 1320 it wasn't. Installing is as easy as searching in the store for Nokia Camera, but with the 1320, as with all Telstra WP devices, when you open the store there is actually a category called Nokia Collection, where you can find it and a whole lot more.

I assume the app was not pre installed, because it is pretty processor and memory intensive, built more for the 1020 and the 1520, although it will work on the lesser powered phones, just takes longer. Lets you take advantage of the lossless zoom that the pureview technology in the Nokia hardware is famous for.

So shots like the skateboard shot above are one of the features of the app, like motion blur

WP_20140103_18_24_43_Smart.jpg

glƏƏk_635243707474131346.jpg

action shots and the like. You can take a series of images and then using one of the filters, create an image, you can also use it to capture a photo of people, and pick out of a series of facial images to get the best smile etc

#WinPhan

@VampireBrigade wrote:

WOW alright! Completely agree!!!!!! I feel left out! I still don't have a SIM to test anything on it :-( Keep up the good work everyone your all doing an amazing job!

You know there is no need for a sim to go out and start using the phone, well a lot of it's features/apps are dependant on data, but if you have access to a wifi network, you can set up your microsoft account on the phone, and download apps to try out while connected. You can also download maps to use offline with Here maps. The camera can be used any time without a connection, and getting back to wifi will upload stuff to OneDrive automatically. If you want any help setting up PM me

#WinPhan

VampireBrigade

That is so very nice thank you :-) Yes I agree with you but I do actually need a SIM to do some testing that I need to do on the phone I cannot do this particular testing without it, but I will try the WiFi to do some minor things as well.

VampireBrigade

Here is part 1 of my review of the Nokia Lumia 1320.

I am going to take this one in stages as too much text on the one page can be a little daunting and I don't want to lose anyone's attention.

Overall opinion of the phone - Part 1

The Nokia Lumia 1320 is an LTE-capable phone with a very sturdy and solid build.  I find the performance of this phone is really good, with a great offering of Nokia's extra software are also a plus.

They say size does matter BUT big phones don't have to be expensive. I personally do not like big phones as they are not practical for me at all, but having said that, Nokia's Lumia 1320 Windows 8 phone joins the ranks of affordable midrange supersize "phablets" that have been slowly spreading into the market.

In addition, this certainly doesn't have the features of the higher end Lumia 1520, but at almost half the price. So the 1320 is a good choice for someone on the hunt for a large-screen Windows smartphone experience and a great entry point with the promise to something much bigger (capabilities wise) and mind blowing in the near future.

Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow where I will cover the design and build.

Until then have a great day everyone.

broncook76

Hey pedah...great photos! Can you please give specific instructions on how to use the Nokia Camera app to create the motion blur photos?
VampireBrigade

Okay this is the next part of my review...

Part 2 - Design and Build.

The matte removable cover of the Lumia 1320 is the most striking in vibrant colours such as the orange or yellow, but even in black or white, this phone WILL turn heads. The plain truth of the matter is I have asked people and there is a demand for this kind of phone everywhere!

The rounded corners help neaten out the look, but its measurements of 164.2 x 85.9 x 9.8mm is going to be a lot to pocket.

The back case is smooth and very slightly rounded which makes it (for some) a palm-friendly handheld but it can be slippery at times. The size and stretch of your hands are the main measurement of comfort here.

This phone weighs 220g. The Lumia 1320 is a chunky piece of hardware. Even though the phone does spread its weight evenly through its polycarbonate body, it doesn't feel like a paperweight in your hand, purse or bag. Although the phone felt comfortable at my ear, I found that I couldn’t position it right, (because of its size and weight) my caller sounded quieter and farther away than they would on a smaller and lighter phone. Also being on the phone as often as I am and for long periods of time I think my hand would have got very tired holding the phone to my ear.

This phone’s design is all built within uni-body which means the 1320's battery doesn't pop out, but you can remove the back cover to access the SIM and microSD card slots which are just underneath the back removable cover.

As with other phones in the Lumia range, the exterior controls are: the power button, volume rocker, and dedicated shutter button along the right spine, the Micro-USB charging jack on the bottom, and the headset jack along the top. Turn the phone over for the 5-megapixel Camera and LED flash; a VGA camera rests above the screen.

Speaking of the 6-inch LCD display, Nokia has given this $$$ friendly supersize phone a 720p HD screen rather than the high-res 1080p HD display that you would see on higher-end phones with 5-inch screens or above. The question is, does your eye really notice the lower resolution? The answer is that depends on you as the individual.

The Windows Phone 8 OS can certainly handle itself on the 1320's, 245ppi resolution; in fact, unless you examine it very closely (like) under a microscope, it looks just as bright and crisp as on higher-res screens. Certain games scale great as well, with Temple Run 2's graphics looking very clean and CRISP.

For the most part, Web sites and social-networking services also look good, although they aren't as crystal-clear as images on 1080p HD screens. You'll notice the biggest difference when looking at content that isn't HD-optimised, or that wasn't scaled for a larger display.

Stay tuned for Part 3 later in the day which will cover the OS and Features.

Have a great day everyone.

VampireBrigade

Welcome back! This is Part 3 of my review of the Nokia Lumia 1320.

This covers the operating system and some of the features.

Running the latest Windows Phone 8 build, the Lumia 1320 does all the stuff you'd expect. It has the Xbox games store and Microsoft Office, the Bing music-identifier, improved multitasking, and resizable dynamic live tiles.

Nokia's software package throws in heaps of options, including ‘Here’ Maps, and a whole array of camera apps for framing and editing your photos. Really, the list is ENDLESS! You would need DAYS to get through it all!

Features-wise, you'll get Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, and DLNA to go with the typical Wi-Fi and GPS, plus a sensitive screen that you can tune up even further to use with gloves during cold days.

Part 4 will cover camera and video!

Stay tuned :-)

VampireBrigade

This is Part 4 of my Review which covers the Camera and Video...

The Nokia Lumia 1320 has a 5-megapixel camera, which doesn't sound very exciting, but I found the image quality was passable and the camera is capable to record 1080p HD video. In addition, the continuous autofocus works well.

Image quality is better outdoors than in, and the camera tends to cast the scene in blue, leaving people and scenes a little cold and more flat and silently muted than in real life. Still, photos are good enough to share online with family and friends. I'd personally forget about using the 0.3-megapixel VGA front-facing camera almost entirely, unless you like grainy, indistinct images, and just ask someone to frame your photo for you.

On a more positive note, video capture and playback were smooth, colours looked strong, and the microphone adequately picked up voices within range.

Stay tuned for Part 5 tomorrow which will cover the processor, speed and battery and then Part 6 which will be my final thoughts on the phone as a whole.

I will post a photo here shortly to show you the quality.

Have a great evening all.

VampireBrigade

No food photo's BUT I have photo's of my furry babies :-) I took these with the Lumia 1320 and thought it would be more appealing with a little AWE factor...ENJOY!

FOT8E98.jpgFOTE3E0.jpg

VampireBrigade

Nokia Lumia Review Part 5

This covers the Performance, Speed, Processor & Battery

I am using the Nokia Lumia 1320 on Telstra's 4G network and found no surprises with speeds around 30Mbps were the average and coverage was good across all the places I have been taking the phone with me to.

And how about the other kind of speed, the one attached to the application processor? Well, you get a 1.7GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 chipset in the Lumia 1320, rather than the quad-core processor that debuted with the 1520. Windows Phone lovers have always said that if demands are much lighter of the operating system means that the phones can do more with less horsepower.

I certainly didn't notice any slow or lagging speeds while playing casual games or navigating around, so I wouldn't consider the processor specs to be a setback the way they could be on some other brands of Android phones with lower-capacity chips. Nokia's more budget, low cost but big 1320 has 1GB RAM.

One concession Nokia did make was with on-board storage. The 8GB you get isn't going to last photo and video addicts long, but you have the use of the 7GB of free SkyDrive storage and an additional microSD card slot that takes up to 64GB in external storage.

The 3,400mAh battery lasted me a pretty long time, (more than a day) with moderate use. It's rated for 25 hours of talk time and 28 days of standby time.

Part 6 to follow in a couple of minutes and the completion of my full review :-)

VampireBrigade

Nokia Lumia - Review Part 6

Final overall thoughts...

Taken as a whole, the Nokia Lumia 1320 is a very sturdy, very nice looking supersized smartphone that does a good job of a phone and a tablet for less than half the price of a mobile or tablet on its own, let alone a two in one deal. Its camera resolution is perhaps its weakest point, but this LTE smartphone takes snaps from its main camera well enough to use and enjoy. While I would recommend it for the Windows Phone fan looking for a more affordable ultra-large phone, I'd also suggest doing your own research to make sure that the Android phones you choose are right for you and have all the components as well as features that you want, need, use and above all else LOVE. Enjoy your Nokia Lumia 1320 for everyone who has purchased one!

Great phone, great price and loads of FUN!

VampireBrigade

This is in reply to @Phiali twitter question...

I think managing photo's is a BREEZE! Probably a lot less complicated than other phones really, and you get the hang of it once you start! Its pretty self explanatory really :-) That's what I like about this phone, it is so EASY to navigate around and you find what you are looking for very quickly. As for the Trip details sharing this is actually a wonderful thing to be able to use because even though due to work commitments I don't get to travel much but to be able to tell a story and load a picture and just share them in parts as sparingly as you like. It is so time saving and CONVENIENT! Sharing in parts is great so you don't give it all away completely you can use it like chapters in a book.
Enjoy the phone if you decide to purchase one :-)

VampireBrigade

All these questions have been answered in my 6-Part Review. ENJOY! And have a great day everyone :-)
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@VampireBrigade Thanks you for your detailed review so far and i apologise for the delays with your Pre-paid SIM. I have enjoyed reading our mobile insiders reviews so far.

Your dog look very similar to my Ruben... Chow x Samoyed

1451530_617025281666866_638916561_n.png

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

VampireBrigade

OMG Yannick,

What a beautiful DOG!!!!!! LOL! I absolutely adore four legged furry babies of any kind!

He looks very happy as it should be!

And your welcome! I have been so happy and have thoroughly enjoyed this immensley!

I hope you will include me in future reviews, I would love to be able to review them for you.

Have a great weekend!

Kindest Regards Popi.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

OMG Popi your dog is amazing. i want one!!

Thanks for doing such a great job so far, glad you're enjoying the phone Smiley Happy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Question for al the reviewers - will this phone be replacing your usual phone after the trial?

VampireBrigade

Oh thanks Kat,

I have always loved this breed of dog since I was a very young girl. They are Samoyeds, I have two of them and they are very special :-)

If you ever get a dog, you can't go wrong, temperment wise they are so loving and gentle, playful and very talkative and they are so very intelligent!

Having said that I love all animals, I am a softie for them :-)

VampireBrigade

This won't be replacing my usual phone, BUT I will be using it as a tablet when I am on the go :-)

I do actually quite like it :-)

Kat, Idoubt that it will take the place of my 1020 as goto device, The camera means a lot to me, but as I am in the habit of carrying two phones some times three I doubt the 1320 will be far from me. I have found it invaluable for office and one note work on the go, yes a small tablet, and for productivities sake, it will get a lot of use. I also will Bluetooth images across from the 1020 for editing at times.
#WinPhan

VampireBrigade

Agree totally Pedah,

I suppose its just what you get used to.

I too am in the habit of carrying two phones for the same reasons ;-)

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the responses guys, interesting stuff

Question from Twitter user @rmk074 - What would you say is the best feature of the phone for users who haven't used a Lumia before?

VampireBrigade

Just responded on twitter...

@rmk074 Hi the best features of the Nokia Lumia 1320 are SPEED, great apps & its very responsive! U can do almost anything! #mobileinsider

broncook76

Interesting question Kat. I don't think it will replace my day to day phone, purely because of size, but it may mean less tablet use. I need to give it a whirl trying out for work use - connecting to exchange, using office.

broncook76

Hey pedah - still looking for guidance on how to do the motion blur photos! :-)

broncook76

Circling back to some of the originally asked questions now I've had more time with the phone.

What phone were you using before starting the Nokia Lumia 1320 review and what features did you most like about that phone?

For the past few years I've been using phones on the Android platform - HTC's and currently a Samsung Galaxy S3. I like the camera most on the S3, it can take some pretty awesome photo's for such a small phone. Unfortunately I was a victim of a #suddendeath crash on my S3 Christmas year before last and I don't think the phone has ever been the same since - especially in regards to keyboard response time.

What steps were involved in setting up your Lumia, and were you able to set it up with ease?

The setup stages were pretty easy & standard, especially if you were able to have either WIFI or SIM card access upon setup and also a Microsoft account - given it is a Windows phone. I had initial issues as I don't think it connected properly to my WIFI, so I did a factory reset and started again, after that it was fine. And even better once I had a SIM in it!

Can you video and share on CrowdSupport the Lumia “un-boxing” experience?

Done, see post above. And ignore the laundry in the background!

What do you think about the “Smile Select “and “Object Removal” camera features?

Using the camera on the 1320 is honestly the thing I'm still struggling with the most. I can see that it has all these options, but I'm not finding it the most intuitive interface to use. Will try more this week, really keen on how to learn how to use the motion blur feature!

Do you find the extra row of tiles useful or not really used?

I really like playing around with the tiles on my home page and finding what configuration works best for what I use.

What is the battery life for various usage scenarios? (playing games, browsing on wifi/3g/4g, playing videos etc)

So far the battery life seems really impressive. I last gave it a full charge 3pm Saturday, at it is at 68% (at 12:45pm Monday).

How does it feel to hold and in your pocket, given the size?

At first I found it awkward, but after more use I got used to it and then found going back to my S3 really small! It fits perfectly in my purse and at a push it could go into my back pocket, but I'd be worried about it falling out.

Here is a pic of the device family I have that the 1320 is now a member of.

IMG_7810.jpg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hey team,

some more twitter questions for you

from @RobertldAu :  Will I be the envy of all my friends every time I discreetly whip out my NokiaAustralia Lumia 1320 during uni lectures? ;-)

from @albsta : how does the performance of the Lumina (wifi, battery life, process speed) compare with other models in its range?

and : does the Lumia match the iPhone on specs?

broncook76

Answered @RobertldAu 's question on Twitter.

Absolutely! The @NokiaAustralia #Lumia1320 is a really nice device & I've got many jealous friends! @Telstra #mobileinsider

Afraid I can't answer the other two as this is the first phablet I've tested and I've never owned an iPhone!

VampireBrigade

Questions just answerd on Twitter...

@albsta Hi there, if you click on this link http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Product-Reviews/Nokia-Lumia-1320-Windows-Phone-8-Community-Rev... I have written a 6-part review with all that info :-) #mobileinsider

@RobertldAu AH YES they will be a little envious! I think the Lumia 1320 is perfect for a UNI student. You have all u need! #mobileinsider

@broncook76 wrote:

Hey pedah - still looking for guidance on how to do the motion blur photos! :-)

wp_ss_20140303_0001.jpg

Ok then, Nokia camera quick overview, results are up to you. When you open Nokia Camera, you will see three visual shutters on the right hand side camera, video and smart sequence wich is what we will be dealing with in terms of Motion Focus and Action shots. The secret is to hold the camera very still, and take your shot, so that there are moving objects in the field of vision. once you take the shot it will either pop straght to apreview of the shot to be edited in one or other of the options, or it will revert so that you can take another shot depending on the settings you have chosen. In the left top corner there are two shortcuts, the furthest left will take you to the camera roll, well shots taken with the Nokia Camera, and the closest marked with the arrow will open your mst recent shot.

Here you are offered a range of options, best shot, action shot motion focus, object removal, and change faces.

wp_ss_20140303_0004.jpg

Swipe between them and choose the option you want, motion focus/blur is what we are looking at for now.

depending on the image, it seems to be best to not be too far away from the object you want to be in focus, and if there are multiple moving objects in a shot, the software will focus on all of them.

Now to get the desired effect the camera has captured a series of shots, 10 in all, and in the editing screen you can swipe left or right to see frames in different parts of the sequence and eventually save the best of the few.

THERE IS A CONTROL ON THE RGHT SIDE THAT LOOKS LIKE A SPEEDO, IT WILL CHANGE THE APPEARANCE OF THE BLUR FROM FAST MOVEMENT TO SLOW. [sorry caps lock] The steadier you hold the camera initially the better the focus on the central subject will be, but you want to try and capture an uncluttered scene to make motion focus work well.

This is a bad one I took before writing this up to demo

WP_20140303_15_17_01_Smart.jpg

you can see that thee is a lot going on in the image, but the camera sort of picks out central objects to focus on. Although if you look up the top of the image, there are some leaves that got the treatment as well and are nicely in focus, and much closer.

Action shot of the same sequence!

WPAction.jpg

It takes a lot of trial and error, and playing around, and I usually share the images every time I save one because you can multiple edit an image without the filename changing, which will overwrite any edits you made before.

So if you make a motion focus shot, after you save it a share button will appear on the right of the edit screen, email it to yourself, then you can edit the photo agin for action shot and that will be saved in the camera roll. This confused me the most at first because I could not work out where my saved photos were going.

#WinPhan

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now