CrowdSupport®
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Sony Xperia Z - Community Review Part 3

sony3.jpg

I must admit i am impressed with the level of details and images provided by our reviewers of the Sony Xperia Z, we might try to turn this into a regular thing and get more of our members involved. 

Below is our next set of questions:

Have you uploaded any music or videos to the Sony Xperia Z? 
How do you rate Sony Walkman, Albumn and Movie App so far? 
Have you connected to an NFC device or are you considering buying one? 
How does the Telstra 24x7 App perform on the Sony Xperia Z?

If you are thinking about purchasing the Sony Xperia Z feel free to add your questions below.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Level 20: Director

Re: Sony Xperia Z - Community Review Part 3

Good afternoon CrowdSupporter's

I am going to say it, I am really enjoying my time with the new Telstra Sony Xperia Z.

Have you uploaded any music or videos to the Sony Xperia Z? 

I purchased a new 32GB MicroSD card (48MB/s) to add additional storage for my music and music video's, which has given plenty of room for my library, so far my MP3 collection sits at a little over 1900 tracks, and I have just under 150 music video's on the MicroSD card.

So yes, I am taking full control over what media files I have uploaded to my Xperia Z, and loving the fact that I could sill upload around another 5,000 to 7,500 MP3 files just to the new Telstra Sony Xperia Z internal storage itself.

The best thing I was surprised with was when I was transferring my media files, the Xperia Z asked if I wanted to convert some files so they can be played, this was all automatic, just fantastic stuff indeed.

Here is a screenshot of My Music, in the Walkman section:

My Music

You can see from the screenshot that if you have any connected network devices, it will also add this to your My Music screen, so you have the ability to be able to stream media files over your network.

Network media files

How do you rate Sony Walkman, Album and Movie App so far? 

I am really impressed with the sound quality of the Walkman, now I am of the age where the word "Walkman' brings back such great memories of a lumpy cassette player when Walkman first hit the world with on the go music.

The Sony Walkman has not only great quality sound, different equalizer settings, and of course we have the Sony flagship Walkman application, xLOUD Experience (which boosts the sound level of the built-in speaker), this is just fantastic if you are sharing a media file with your mates, with TrackID and Music Recognition that submits a sample of your track to an online TrackID service, which if your track has no name, it will be updated with the correct name, TrackID etc.

Here are some screenshots of the equalizer & settings

Equalizer

Settings

I must mention that the Walkman's ClearAudio+ is wonderful, it adjusts the frequency to your music, so you get the best possible sound, I have noticed the difference with this feature as my music is much clearer and has a lack of distortion.

ClearAudio

Another mention, CoverArt is an awesome feature. If you do not have any album images, this will automatically add it to your music, with the Album cover image, it also updates the information about your tracks, and this has been a really good feature to use, the cover art looks classy:

Cover Art

I love the 1920x1080p screen for all my video's, it just blows you out of the water with the colors and fast lag free video shuffle.

When opening the video application, you have a selection of all your video's and it has a preview at the very top of the last played video, when the preview is finished, it will go to the next.

Previews

You can also see that you have all your connected networked devices available (via the icon) if you are sharing them to your new Telstra Sony Xperia Z.

The best thing I think in regards to the video section is that if you stop a video and have to answer the phone, you can go directly back to where you left off, even if it is a day later, just awesome.

Speed of the video is crisp and instant, regardless if it is music or a movie, or any file type.

Video

The online mode can also provide you with more information about the video you are watching if you do not have that information already.

Video info

Another great feature is if your video does not fit the screen, you can change it to fit in several ways, either by best fit, horizontal, vertical or 4:3 or even 16:9 (see the icon at the top that I have pointed to with a white arrow)

Change video size

I have yet to have the privilege to connect to an NFC device, but I will test this out the next time I manage to see one in the store.

I do plan on buying an NFC headphones (Sony MDR-1RBT), just so I can enjoy my music and video's when on the train.

I think the idea of Near Field Communication is great for many things and this would include the train trip.

How does the Telstra 24x7 App perform on the Sony Xperia Z?

I really enjoy the Telstra 24x7 app on the new Telstra Sony Xperia Z, it is a very clean, super fast app that has everything you need for your account.

Telstra 24x7 App

I have everything that I need in one place to access and manipulate all my account based things, such as account usage, billing and my services.

My usage area is great and it keeps me informed about how I am going with data and if I need to top up my account as I am using the new Telstra Sony Xperia Z on a pre-paid account.

Account stuff

Now I did mention in my previous post that I would be doing some battery logging to show the differences between normal usage with and without Stamina mode, and other battery saving features that the new Telstra Sony Xperia Z has.

The following is normal usage, with no Stamina, Low battery or location based wifi battery saving activation features (all turned OFF), this is over a 27 hour period, from 100% to 0% battery.

Battery usage over 24 hours without any battery saving features turned on

I will be posting the results of the Stamina and low battery and location based battery saving features turned on in my very next post, so we will be able to compare the two results.

I am into my second day, and from my above screenshots, you can see with the battery saving features turned on, that I still have around 80% battery left, so the Stamina and other battery saving features are looking to be a very well planned and executed battery saving features indeed.

Thanks for reading Smiley Happy

Extreame Forums

http://www.extreame.net.au

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Nice work Extreame,

Good to hear you like the Sony Xperia Z and have enjoyed taking part in our first product trial... 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

In reply: @Yannick

Thanks Yannick, although I am truly enjoying the trial indeed.

It has been lots of fun, and looking forward in answering any questions that any CrowdSupporter's may have Smiley Happy

Please, if you have any questions about the new Telstra Sony Xperia Z, just drop by and throw them to me, I will be happy to answer any questions that you have Smiley Very Happy

EDIT: Just updated the above post as I had forgot to add extra info in regards to the video section.

Level 22: Superhuman

I'm not going to repeat the screen shots that Extreame has provided.  Seems we have similar tatses in music (PInk Floyd rules!)

I will say I also put in a 16GB card, I've copied about 1,000 tracks across to it. I used the standard WMP sync function to select a play list and copy it across.

I love them. The Walkman app is simply the best, as you would expect from Sony, with various features, again, Extreame has put them up, so I won't repeat.

I will say, because the Xperia Z is waterproof,  I've taken it into the shower with me (on a shelf), and yes, it's loud enough for it to be clear even against the full on shower.  I will refrain from putting up a pictureSmiley Very Happy

This is something I never was prepared to with previous phones.

I downloaded MX Player,because it plays .mkv files, the standard player on the Sony doesn't support that yet.

Another thing I like, is the ability to use the  Xperia Z as a media server. you can do this from 2 places, either in Settings>More (expand under the WiFi and network section), or in the media player itself.

Media Server Screenshot.png

Share Content Screenshot.png

That's my Xperia Z phone.  (Australomimetus is a kind of spider, and most of my devices are named after spiders)

And,  I can get media off my T-Gateway quite happily:

Screenshot_2013-04-09-09-42-01.png

BTW,
 My T-Box is quite happy to play ANY media from the phone:

TV Screenshot.jpg

Another neat utility that comes standard, is "TrackID".   You are listening to a piece of music on the TV or radio, or whatever, and you don'tknow what it is, but you like it.You simply turn it on, "record" whatever it is you want to find out, and it searches a database to figure out track information.  Pretty smart.

TrackID screenshot.png

And, yes, it really works.

Interesting question.  NFC (Near Field Communication) is taking off in a big way,probably quicker than QR Codes were adopted.

At the Science Centre where I volunteer, we are discussing NFC for some of our exhibits. Early days yet, but the idea is to have someone with a device "tap" a NFC tag on an exhibit, and instanly get video, or whatever we want to serve on the exhibit.  Of course, we have a way to go yet.

I was reading about how at certain cinemas you can pay for and pick up your ticket, although it's early days in Australia, and I KNOW that one airline in Australia is preparing NFC for electronic ticketing and boarding passes, but this might take some time depending on the take-up rate of NFC devices.  There are a lot of NFC capable phones out there, and having it on the Xperia Z is a definite bonus for me.

Brilliantly, I'm not going to bore you with the same screeenshots as Extreame ( I might have to beat him to the punch on the next set of questions),  but I'm part of the beta for the new version of the App/Widget.

There's a bunch more stuff I've learned on the phone, and I look forward to sharing more.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

markchard
Level 1: Cadet

I am thinking of getting this phone for my next phone, I'm a tradie and I like the fact that's it dust and water resistance but I'm just wondering how durable the glass is and if it breaks can it be repaired and how much?

In reply: @markchard

I have purchased a case for the handset, but the scratch resistant coating is very good.

case

I have watched some video's of people scratching the protective face, and it still seems to be ok. The protective layer is replaceable.

The protective layer is supposed to make the unit shatterproof. Yet to test this (and don't really want to).

The scratch protector does stop the glass shattering, so I would recommend leaving it on, and replaced.

I don't know how durable the glass itself is, but I have dropped this unit several times on concrete in the case and it is fine.

I do not know the cost of repair of the protective plastic on this handset, I think you may need to contact a repair shop and ask, however you can get replacement protective covers for around $5 to $10.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask Smiley Happy

I can tell you I've used it in the shower, dropped it in a water glass, and also had it out during the pouring rain with no issues. I won't be taking it diving to 10 metres or more underwater, but I'm sure it's safe normally, so I assume the dust resistance would be the same. I know none of the dog hairs from my dogs have gotten into it!

Scratch resistant? I know the glass is tough, and I have dropped it ( you guessed it - in the shower, so that's a good 5 1/2 feet onto a hard floor), so I assume it's good, but I won't be taking my wife's engagement ring to it to test it, LOL.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

LOL if Yannick sees how rough we have been on them, he might not let us keep playing with them.

markchard
Level 1: Cadet

@Extreame thanks mate helps alot. Have you herd anything about the new htc one? i want to know if its blue tick or not?

In reply: @markchard

Yes the HTC One (XL) is Blue Ticked.

My previous handset was an imported HTC One, and I killed it within 3 weeks, now in the shop, and they cannot repair it.

Was my fault, as it was dropped into the water. The new Telstra Sony Xperia Z wont have this issue Smiley Very Happy

As always, need any further advice?, feel free to reply Smiley Happy

HeintzG
Level 10: Junior Detective

I just got mine yesterday, this is one beast of a phone the best i have ever owend, i like the fact it plays my flac music files.

Oops before i forget, what type of sd cards are you guys using class 4 or class 10. Smiley Happy

In reply: @HeintzG

Glad to hear that you are enjoying this handset.

I purchased a Class 10 MicroSD card that is rated at 48MB/s, it is fantastic for use on this handset.

Let me know if you require any further assistance, will be happy to assist Smiley Happy

Update:  I discovered something neat last night on the Xperia when I was walking home from the train station.

The Walkman allows you to have "visualizations" when you play music. Simply select the options menu when you play music, and you get a selection of types of visualisation "Themes": Beacuse the phone has such a good processor, and hadware graphics accelleration, the visualisations are beautifully rendered.

Screenshot_2013-04-10-09-04-48.png

Screenshot_2013-04-10-09-05-01.png

All of which is pretty neat. Just don't walk down the streets at night looking at the pretty screens in amazement or you will walk into a tree, as I almost did.

Screenshot_2013-04-09-23-39-00.png

Screenshot_2013-04-09-23-36-41.png

You don't have to watch the visualisations,, and there's another neat discovery I made.  You can play music and skip tracks from the lock screen:

Screenshot_2013-04-10-00-11-07.png

Very cool.

HeintzG

@Extreame.

Thanks for the information.

Much appreciated.

I purchased a dock for this handset, so my battery log will need to start from after I have had a good play with the charging dock, sorry guys.

First looks at the charging dock, small, clean and opens new features on the handset.

Here are a few sneak peek images of the charging dock (with handset) and I will post more tomorrow, with lots mote information.

Charging Dock Side:

Charging Dock

Charging Dock Front:

Charging Dock Front

Charging Dock without handset:

Charging dock without handset

Charging dock MicroUSB port on the back:

Charging dock MicroUSB

Charging dock with info on bottom of device:

Charging dock info

As you can see the charging dock is purple, the same colour as the handset.

The cost of the charging dock was $70, and is as small as the handset in length and around 1.5cm tall (very small).

The handset features that are activated by the charging dock, is what I will focus on tomorrow.

Will post more information tomorrow Smiley Happy

Thanks for reading!

I'm going to get one.

You charge it without opening the USB port on the phone, which is brilliant.

Let me know how quickly it charges compared to direct connection charges.

$70.00?

http://www.sony.com.au/product/xperiazdock

In reply: @Wanglese

I will let you know how long it takes to charge later today as I am still draining the battery.

It was $70 because I wanted the purple one (to match the handset on my desk), the black one is much cheaper.

EDIT: I should add that it was on special order too, so happy to pay the extra for what I wanted.

@Extreame.  Gotcha.

I think I want the purple one.

In reply @Wanglese

It is very sexy! Smiley Happy

CrowdSupporter's

The charge time for the handset in the charging dock is around the same time as if you used the MicroUSB.

The dock charge time was 3 hours 40 minutes and 15 seconds. 

Please remember that the battery is still very new, the above time was from 0% to 100% although I know I should not charge it to 100% all the time.

This is comparable to the USB charge time, as the MicroUSB fits into the rear of the charging dock.

I have been very busy today, so I will post the other features of the handset when inserted into the dock later tonight.

nelly82
Level 16: Secret Agent

Hi Crowd Support,  

Very much enjoying being part  trial of the Sony Xperia Z ,  I must say that this handset is amazing.  It has definitely converted me from being an Apple user.  The ease of use, functionality and fun factor of the Sony Xperia Z will be a definite winner across all age groups and users.

• I havent had a chance to upload heaps of stuff on the phone as much as I would like but in saying that,  the ease and speed in which your able to put stuff on the Sony Xperia Z is great.

Below is some screen shots of what I have uploaded on the phone so far.  One of the things that I loved is that I was able to also get some old Pod Casts of Thank God You're Here uploaded onto the phone very easily through the Sony PC Companion.

Movies and Videos

Music

• I love all of these on the Sony Xperia.  Music quality on the handset is awesome as expected from Sony,  I think the feature where it downloads Album Covers for your music is great. The ability to add and change themes and visuals that move around to your music is also pretty cool.

Sony Music Visualiser

I did also manage to check out and explore some of the Video Unlimited App.  This is where you are able to Rent or Purchase movies and by looking at the current titles on offer at them moment,  They update the selection on a regular basis.  

For those that have a PS3,  You will see that the layout is very similar to the Movies area of the. Playstation Store.  Once you have viewed your Rental you have 48 hours to view the movie multiple times before it disappears.  

One of the cool things I discovered while playing around with this app is that because I signed into Sony Entertainment Network using my PSN login details at the start up process,  I can use my exisiting Playstation Wallet to purchase movies.

Video Unlimited App

Rent or Buy Screen

Using PSN Wallet to purchase Movie on Xperia Z

• Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to connect any NFC devices to the Sony Xperia Z. I have been looking at the Sony MDR-1R headphones and with my birthday coming up I have been dropping my partner numerous subtle hints about it so hopefully I will get them soon LOL.  

• The App works great on the Xperia.  Had this app on the Iphone5 as well and this is a great app to have to keep track of everything on your account.  Would definitely recommend all smart phone users to get this app to help you track your usage and to avoid any bill shock.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
HeintzG

@ extreame kudos for the information on the micro SD card. Smiley Wink

@ wanglese kudos for the link to Sony, cheapest price i've seen so had to order one.Smiley Happy

In reply: @HeintzG

Happy to be able to assist with something Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit