CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Tris87
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Home Hub will not connect to Wifi

Answered

Hi,

I purchased a Smart home a week ago and have not had any success in setting this device up.

I am following the app instructions and get to the point where it ask me to enter the MAC number off the hub then it tries to connect to my wifi but wont work. I have tried a new modem and i have no other issues with devices connecting to my wifi. The modem is less then 2 M away. I have been on hold to smart home support and have been on hold for over 1.5  hours and no one has even answered the call yet. What would be causing this issue?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Home Hub will not connect to Wifi

Hi @Tris87,

Here is an article that can help you with the MAC ID issue. 

Most commonly, the app asks for the MAC address of the hub if your phone is communicating over the mobile network (i.e. 3G or 4G), rather than your home Wi-Fi network. When this happens, we just need some additional information about the Smart Home hub to get you activated.

The MAC address is located on the label on the back of your hub; if you can see it without unplugging your hub, then choose option 1. If you need to unplug the hub to read the label, proceed to option 2.  

Option 1: I can read the label without unplugging the hub.  

1. Write down the 12 digit MAC address on the back of your hub; it will start with 02:cc:21 followed by 6 more digits that uniquely identify your hub. 
  2. Replace the leading 02 with 00, so that your MAC address reads "00cc21xxxxxx"and remove all of the colons
  3. When the screen prompts you enter your MAC address without the colons.

Option 2: I can't read the label on the back of the hub unless I unplug it.  

1. Write down "00cc21”
  2. Locate the label in your starter kit that reads 'Your HubWi-Fi network is TelstraHub_xxxxxx".  
  3. Add the last 6 digits to those you wrote down in step 1 to create your hub's MAC address. It should be "00cc21xxxxxx", where the last 6 digits were from the Wi-Fi label on your starter kit. 
  4. Input the MAC address you've written down when asked for in the app. 

Other information 

• You do not need to input the colons when entering the MAC address. 
  • The MAC address is not case sensitive. 
  • If you had to unplug your hub during setup to see the MAC address, its best to completely restart the Telstra Smart Home App or restart your phone to start over. 

If you have any problems along the way contact us on 13 22 00 and say “Smart Home Fault”

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi @Tris87,

Here is an article that can help you with the MAC ID issue. 

Most commonly, the app asks for the MAC address of the hub if your phone is communicating over the mobile network (i.e. 3G or 4G), rather than your home Wi-Fi network. When this happens, we just need some additional information about the Smart Home hub to get you activated.

The MAC address is located on the label on the back of your hub; if you can see it without unplugging your hub, then choose option 1. If you need to unplug the hub to read the label, proceed to option 2.  

Option 1: I can read the label without unplugging the hub.  

1. Write down the 12 digit MAC address on the back of your hub; it will start with 02:cc:21 followed by 6 more digits that uniquely identify your hub. 
  2. Replace the leading 02 with 00, so that your MAC address reads "00cc21xxxxxx"and remove all of the colons
  3. When the screen prompts you enter your MAC address without the colons.

Option 2: I can't read the label on the back of the hub unless I unplug it.  

1. Write down "00cc21”
  2. Locate the label in your starter kit that reads 'Your HubWi-Fi network is TelstraHub_xxxxxx".  
  3. Add the last 6 digits to those you wrote down in step 1 to create your hub's MAC address. It should be "00cc21xxxxxx", where the last 6 digits were from the Wi-Fi label on your starter kit. 
  4. Input the MAC address you've written down when asked for in the app. 

Other information 

• You do not need to input the colons when entering the MAC address. 
  • The MAC address is not case sensitive. 
  • If you had to unplug your hub during setup to see the MAC address, its best to completely restart the Telstra Smart Home App or restart your phone to start over. 

If you have any problems along the way contact us on 13 22 00 and say “Smart Home Fault”

sempei
Level 2: Rookie

Not sure if this is the right section to write this. A couple of months ago i HAD to connect to NBN after having no issues with my older  black modem , Cable Connection. Since going to NBN, yes i have a fast download speed but the wifi part of the NBN is crap! I never had issues when i was using cable , i coulkd wifi my two tv's that were closest to to the modem.

From the other part of the house i could use my phone , wife had no issues going on Facebook and internet. Now with NBN was always having issues with connecting to Facebook and Internet. The tv's that we could WIFI originally, just keep video buffering when watching two tv's at once.  I no choicebut to go and spend another $120 on a router to put in another part of the house so we could connect our tablet . I have to asume its the cheap modem that Telstra give you as part of the package.

I know other people that have had same issues and threw the telstra modem away and got their own with no issues now.. I just laugh now when i see the tv commercials of Telstra saying how the speeds etc now make a fast world in working with the NBN. Why could you not just let me keep my CABLE CONNECTION....

ChrisRaj

i am having the same problem. i followed your instruction above, but that didn't work either. Called support , they couldnt help , but keen on sending a tech to assist . They said its a fee for service call out .
can you help ?
ChrisRaj

It doesnt recognise the MAC address and keep getting that annoying error message.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ChrisRaj,

Sorry to see that you are having the same problem. Are you saying you have tried NTayeh's suggestions and that has not worked?

Have you tried unplugging, restarting or resetting all of your devices and trying the steps again? 

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TheGroove
Level 4: Private Eye

having the same problem, have organised to send the item back, there is only so many hours in a day to spend on this kind of stuff. Have tried all the above, went through it with tech, so its going back for a refund.

Telstra 24x7®

Locate SIM enabled tablets and phones using our Telstra Locator in the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now