Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
0 Kudos

Handset updates - 13 September

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

See below for latest telstra device updates.

Update status*:

Handset

Update

Status

Expected test rounds

Expected approval date

Expected customer availability date

Notes

Samsung Galaxy S 4

Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update

Now available

27/08/2013

9/09/2013

Approved 27 August. Now available as an Over-The-Air update

Sony Xperia Z

Now available

5/08/2013

30/08/2013

Approved 5 August. Deployment commenced 30 August.

Nokia Lumia 920

Windows Phone GDR2 update

Now available

5/08/2013

16/08/2013

Now available as an Over-The-Air update

Nokia Lumia 520

First round testing

TBC

TBC

Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval of this update.

HTC 8X

N/A

N/A

N/A

Approved 26 July however due to issue identified by HTC the GDR2 update has been cancelled on this device worldwide in favour of the GDR3 update

HTC 8X

Windows Phone GDR3 update

Waiting for initial vendor submission

TBC

TBC

Test submission expected in late November

HTC 8S

First round testing

TBC

TBC

Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval of this update.

Blackberry Q10

Blackberry OS 10.1 update

N/A

N/A

N/A

With the 10.2 update due for submission 13 September Telstra will skip the 10.1 in favour of the 10.2 update

Blackberry Z10

Blackberry OS 10.1 update

N/A

N/A

N/A

With the 10.2 update due for submission 13 September Telstra will skip the 10.1 in favour of the 10.2 update

Blackberry Q10

Blackberry OS 10.2 update

30/09/2013

14/10/2013

Blackberry Z10

Blackberry OS 10.2 update

30/09/2013

14/10/2013

HTC One XL

Now available

26/08/2013

2/09/2013

Approved 29 August. Deployment commenced 2 September

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Handset updates - 13 September

Still no news on S3 (4g) updating to 4.3???

New Contributor
0 Kudos

To Whom ever at Telstra,

After recieving notice in your june update list that the HTC Titan 4G had an update available here wwe are 3 months later and i am still yet to see it, Can you please explain why it has not come through yet?

Thank You.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Still no sign of the Galaxy Nexus *sign*. Such a disappointment that phone has been, been abandoned faster then most OEM phones have been. So much for getting fast updates and being ahead of the pack. Not falling for that trap again...

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

@bomples, you must have a telstra branded nexus, not unbranded as they receive updates straight away
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Any ETA on an "official" 4.3 for Xperia Z? Been running it on my XZ for 2 weeks or so with no issues. :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only.

If I've helped you, please press the Kudos!

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
0 Kudos

No updates as yet, but you can keep updates via Crowd support on this thread

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Visitor
0 Kudos

What's the go? How about you get on the job and release the updates you're expected to. HTC 8S and HTC 8X? The updates were expected months ago. Get on the ball or lose repect from your previously loyal customer, Telstra.

I'll be switching to a company that's known for releasing updates promptly and hassle free. No point getting a phone that falls behind the rest, is there?

Cheers,

Simon.

Telstra Employee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi SimonMoreta,

I respect your frustration, and apologise for the delays - however, though Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval of the GDR2 update for the 8S, in regards to the GDR3 update for the 8X, we're still waiting on HTC to submit the software to us for testing - which is expected to happen in late November.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

Visitor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please then clarify for me the difference between "Waiting for initial vendor submission" and "first round testing"? I was under the impression that the HTC 8S should say the former if we are still waiting on  HTC to do their job. 

Or does this imply that it is HTC doing the first round of testing?

Cheers.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any information or schedule available as to when the Telstra badged LG Optimus G E975K will be getting an update to 4.2.x or 4.3.x?

Cheers.

Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos

Any with issues regarding the HTC Titan 4g update I contacted HTC and the informed me that I should have the WP7.8 update as per my IMEI number and have given me a company to contact to get it fixed. I would suggest you contact HTC as well as Telstra don't want too look after there customers and fix problems with phones that they should under contract.
Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

Well, I cannot blame Telstra for not releasing GDR2 for 8S and 8X. But I really do hope that when you give dates, be sure you will release those what needs to be released or advise your customers earlier so that we won't be expecting so much. And when I say earlier, I meant 2-3 weeks earlier.

With regards to GDR3, you are expecting HTC to submit the software update this late November, you will do your testing, put whatever software you want to put into it. I hope again that you will release it on December with just 1 round of testing to be done, I don't think that it will take a month to do it, right?. Any release date after December would be very frustrating because we are looking forward for Windows Phone 8.1 which is expected to be released on first quarter of 2014 (Not really sure). Please don't make your customers worry so much. We want to make the most out of our smartphone like Lumia users who are enjoying their GDR2 + Amber updates.

Cheers,

Sherwin

Windows Phone 8X by HTC.
Visitor
0 Kudos

Any updates on the next upgrade for the S3 4G handset? Seems to be forgotten about.
vy
Visitor
0 Kudos

I have a HTC One XL and updtaed to Android 4.2.2 and am experiencing issues with (a) non updating of widgets and (2) loss of homescreen items upon restart.  Could you please advise where I can go for some technical advice (or reversion to 4.1.1.  Thank you.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Similar problem for me.  Just updated and phone is trashed.  Home button doesn´t work at all.  Absolute disaster at the moment. Don´t touch it!!!!  How do i go back??

0 Kudos

Thanks for the update for Blackberry Z10/Q10

I am very happy you are on the 10.2 release so quickly and hope the Oct 14th remains on track for release, that would be very good news if so.

I am quite disappointed you never released the latest 10.1 release however. Although I have had it for over a month now, as I bought a $2 Optus prepaid sim so I could get the update, as they released it some time ago, I am sure the majority of people wouldn't do this. I understand there was an issue with the update losing some text messages, however it contained an important bug fix for the small proportion of people who had issues with their device rebooting. The sad thing is that these Telstra users probably still have this issue because you decided never to release 10.1, I am sure most would not have done what I did and bought a $2 Optus sim as they would not know about the release or have any reason to think Optus would release an update Telstra wouldn't.

I have been impressed with Blackberry support with Telstra and that is why I switched to you when the Z10 was released, which makes it even more surprising that Telstra users missed out on this update, when Optus users did not and that there are some users out there who are still having their phone experience slightly compromised unnecessarily, which was the purpose this simple maintenance release, if only you had released it.

I am not sure of your logic with this and whether you understood it wasn't a small release but a vital release for users experiencing the bug and that they will still suffer until you release 10.2, unlike the rest of the world who had the updates months ago and are enjoying their experience on this ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC BLACKBERRY Z10 Smiley Happy

On to the future and looking forward to a timely 10.2 release, with your decision to scrap 10.1 MR release, having this out ASAP is even more important for your BB z10/q10 users.

Thankyou

0 Kudos

Don't know about widgets not updating but loss of homescreen items after restart was happening well before this update for the htc one xl (and wasn't isolated to this device, was a general android issue).
My biggest complaint with the 4.2.2 update for the hoxl is Instagram is dead in the water
0 Kudos

Sorry accidentally posted too early. Instagram is no longer able to upload photos, appears to be an international problem with instagram and the hoxl on sense 5 jb 4.2.2. Seriously annoying. Anyone have a workaround?
Visitor
0 Kudos

Is there any hope for the galaxy note II update!!!?
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Having asked Samsung Australia and obtained no answer, I'll ask Telstra:

When is the Telstra Samsung Galaxy Nexus going to be updated to the Android version 4.3 firmware?

The 4.3 international GSM/HSPA+ versions factory image firmware has been ready at Google for a month;

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#yakjujwr66y

This means Telstra's Samsung Galaxy NEXUS is now TWO VERSIONS behind the current release firmware. 

The Tesltra Samsung Galaxy NEXUS device continues to be advertised and marketed as "First in line for software upgrades**" but is now confirmed to be receiving udpates BEHIND other devices being updated to 4.2.2, when the Tesltra Samsung Galaxy NEXUS is only on version 4.1.2. 

If Telstra is unable or unwilling to uphold the products advertised functionality then it would appear that Telstra is now in breach of its advertised claims.

** http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/smartphone/GT-I9250TSAOPS-features

New Contributor

Smiley Happy hopefully the 10.2 OS for BB Z10 and Q10 will be released on time. it's how we connect, thanks Telstra for your continued support!

New Contributor
0 Kudos

For those with Instagram posting issues, try this:

In Instagram under Settings > advanced features > If you un-check use Instagram advanced camera, this uses the deault camera and fixes the fault with posting pictures. You can even apply the filters without issue.

IF this doesn't work either, try disabling "use high-quality image processing" as well.
vy
Visitor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Telstra were not interested and referred me HTC. HTC advised me to do a full backup and reset.

I did that (took over 4 hours) and it did correct the widget and home screen etc issues. But 4.1.1 was better than 4.2.2 - this "update" seems to be a regression in may areas including worse battery life. AQlso the backup restore did not cover everything (eg contact photo's were lost).

This is the first time I have been disappointed in an Android update. I will do more research in future before "upgrading". If anyone knows how to revert to 4.1.1 without Rooting the phone please post how. Thanks.

New Contributor

Your not alone on the Blackberry Z10 and failure to send the 10.1 MR out over Telstra.

I did the same went to Optus, got the download and my Z10 reboot problem was fixed, NO REBOOTS. as well as the benefits of the 10.1 MR.

Its hard to have an experience when your phone doesnt work, so next time Telstra listen to the people who pays your wages.

In Telstras own words they didnt have the resources to release the 10.1.MR.  

Now its up to You Telstra to make sure Blackberry 10.2 is released on time , no excuses!!!!

Contributor

Just raising this very important point as many Google Android owners seem to be blissfully unaware....Google is from now on making most changes via an 'app' they've personally installed known as 'Google play services', it will be present on all your Android devices and its not really an app, its Google giving themselves a motorway into the core of your phone, a way of avoiding waiting on the manufacturer and the telco to provide Android users with the new features that Google rollout. Google play services is now Googles focus and major OS upgrades are a thing of the past, the differences now minor and subtle. Instead the major changes Google wants every user of Android to enjoy / receive and they are being pushed out via Google play services which gives Google total control in a near identical way that Apple has with its direct IOS updates. Those still beating on Telstra to give them kitka5, 4.3 instead of 4.2.2 on the Sony Experia Z, etc,  need not bother as the differences aren't any longer going to pour in that way like they used to. By the way the Experia Z is a fantastic phone for reception, build quality, could do with a bigger battery though and rounded curved edges, wait a minute the Z1 arrives in a couple of weeks and it has all of that Smiley Happy give me the bright lights....keep it up Telstra, great network!

Occasional Contributor

Google Play Services is not yet fully implemented nor will we see an end to monolithic updates for some time yet, thus the reliance on the likes of Telstra to actually provide timely updates for their customers, and not blow off people with "resource constraint excuses"

And you forgot to mention the other very important point that Google Play Services CANNOT be turned off or disabled and, in effect android users are handing over complete control of their handset to Google, including the installation of software and functionality without the ability to opt out, even if such software hands over (even more) information via tracking, monitoring, data logging/mining and location services or worse yet, breaks the OEM Vendor's cutomisations or optimisations. Smiley Wink

Contributor

But it is, Google play services is fully implemented on all the latest phones and despite what concerns you may have about it the intention by Google is to circumvent roadblocks by manufacturers and carriers. Of course Apple does the same thing in a different way with IOS. It does mean there isn't any more monolithic updates for Android versions as big changes come through play services. People need to stop getting so excited about the difference between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, 4.3, etc. There is nithing substantial in these updates.  People need to pay more attention to water proofing, Telstra's vastly superior network performance, dual 4g band technology, magnetic charging, bluetick (expected), etc, found in the Experia Z1 as opposed to the S4, those are the things to get excited about.

Super Contributor

Gotta love the Experia z Smiley Very Happy

New Contributor

It is now 14 October but there is no update for the BB 10.2 OS for BB10. What's happening Telstra??

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

*giggle*

You didn't seriously think Telstra would be on schedule, did you? As soon as Optus releases the update, I'm putting in my $2 SIM. Worked a treat last time (for 10.1 MR).

0 Kudos

This site promises fortnightly updates, but this is the latest thread and it's more than a month old? Waiting on BlackBerry 10.2 release which was Eta of yesterday.
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos

Welcome to the pointy end of Telstra's concept of customer service.

The irony of a communications provider failing to communicate with their client base is not lost on me or many others.

The worst part is that the very people who manage this thread are the ones who made the claims and assurances about providing regular updates, time and time again over the years.

The Peter Principle is alive and well at Telstra

Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hi yvpan1,

Apologies for the delay. For the BB OS 10.2 update – blackberry have delivered the update for testing (received 11 October) and it is now in testing. Approval expected 28 October and deployment should commence from Blackberry shortly after that (within 10 business days). Please keep in mind this is an expected date & not a guarantee. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

Wow. Well this is dissapointing. Are you speaking too soon by posting another expected approval date? I mean, you were completely off the mark with the first one (and the 10.1 MR expected release date before that).

Why bother giving an expected date at all?

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I love the "Not a Guarantee" get out of jail card.

Frequent Visitor

GDR3/Update 3 for Windows Phone 8 has been announced earlier than expected. Im pretty sure you will start testing it right away once you received the update.

Windows Phone 8X by HTC.
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos

^ HAHAHA

Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, I am one of the testers at Telstra. PLEASE HELP US. There are only 2 of us and Craig whips us if we even try to take a lunch break.
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

I love it when my posts are deleted ;-)
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Was it even that offensive?
Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

Hi. I have a question. What is "TBC" ? Thanks

Community Manager
0 Kudos

It stands for To Be Confirmed.

Tim

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

Hi all. I have a question. What is "TBC" mean in under "Expected approval date" & "Expected customer availability date" about HTC 8X Update GDR3? Thanks
Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

Thanks dear TimBartel & do you know when this update specifically to be offer?
Support Team
0 Kudos

Heya samsam,

Unfortunately not, hence it is 'to be confirmed'.

I'm confident once it is available, the updates list will be updated with an expected date.

Sorry we couldn't be more specific at this time.