Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (GT-I910T)

Are we getting the Jelly Bean Update?

If so, when?

If not, why?

New Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (GT-I910T)

[ Edited ]

Hi Mate, 

I too am waiting for the JellyBean Update

If you look on the Device Updates post from Craig dated 21stMay the Samsung S2 jelly Bean update has been approived by Telstra and is waiting for deployment by vendor - scheduled for 3/6/13

However - It doesnt state whether the update is for the 4G version of the S2 or the 3G version.

fingers crossed.

goodluck 

Vo0do0

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

and will this update finally include USB OTG?

It would apear that this is only model in the Telstra range that does not support OTG

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Dont' cross your fingers too much.

It doesn't mention 4G because it's not the 4G version getting it. this happened last time with ICS. the 4G version got it much much later.

But come on telstra/samsung, put the 4G in the list and give us some indication. While i don't expect we'll ever get keylime pie i can't believe we wont get jelly bean if the 3G version has now already got it.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

We want JellyBean!

New Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (GT-I9210T)

Hey! Someone changed the title of my post! It should be: "Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (GT-I9210T)" Please return the title back !

We want Jelly Bean ofr the Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (GT-I9210T)!

Visitor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To reiterate on my post on the Telstra Exchange site.

If you are happy to do a bit of manual updating go to overclockers australia web site and search for Samsung s2 4g now with jellybean.

You can then load an unofficial version of Jellybean which I have been running for the last 6 months without major issues (alright so it loses track of my custom ring tone, but I can live with that).

Jellybean improves battery life and stability.

I am not so sure an official version will ever come out................. Smiley Happy

AlexB

Occasional Contributor

Grandma would be happy to skip all the various flavours of Jelly Bean prior to 4.2.2 and just go straight for Android 4.3.

After all it is already out there...............

Visitor
0 Kudos

When is the Jelly Bean Update coming for the Samsung Galaxy S2 4G???  recently their has just been an upgrade to ICS, which has stopped the phone doing weird things and going slow between screen. The Samsung Galaxy S2 3G version has had the JB update since June, were is ours???

Jelly Bean will extend the batterie life on this phone and will be so much better, love the phone though detest ICS...

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Go to sammobiledotcom, search i9210t and you will find NO JELLYBEAN UPDATE AVAILABLE BECAUSE SAMSUNG HAVE NOT MADE ONE. Maybe try Samsung first.
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe try Samsung first as they are in control of what phones they make jelly bean work on.... Or flash a custom Rom.
New Contributor
0 Kudos

It's my understaning that the GT-i9210 has been updated to Jelly Bean. 

If that is the case, then I don't think it's at all unusual to ask after an official update for our Telstra branded GT-i9210.

Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I9210

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

You are misinformed or misunderstood, A 10 second check of sammobile (mentioned above) shows the i9210t last received a update in December '12 which was 4.0.4 for a European country, the latest UNBRANDED i9210 update was in March for hong Kong, also 4.0.4, no jellybean available unless you install a CUSTOM ROM.
New Contributor

If you goto http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ and search i9210 (not the telstra version) it shows 4.1.2 for Sweden I'm not sure what, if any, differances there are between the Telstra I9210T and the I9210, but assuming not much, I would think that we will get it, sooner or later.

If you look back at the time diff between us getting ICS and sweden its 2 or 3 months (depending on exact date), so based on that...... Fingers crossed for September, Maybe???? Hopefully....

On a side note, Does anyody know if there is a differance between the two models, other then software/branding? i.e. could we just install the swedish firmware and get JB?

New Contributor
0 Kudos

That's what I'm talking about BruceSamazan! I'm wondering the same thing!
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Apologies for my post above, but the update wasnt there when I checked, i9210 is identical to I 9210t, flash away!
Contributor
0 Kudos

I waited for over a year for this update. Rooted my phone and ran 4.3 for most of that time (not with annoying bugs). I got sick of waiting for the 'official' update and sold my phone on ebay for $250. Got the S4 from telstra as an upgrade to my 'contract', which cost me $160. Worth it!

Now I get 2 days of battery power rather than 6 hours on the s2 4G.

Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
New Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So now Sweden are rolling out JB for the i9210 is there an "official" update or timeframe on the horizon for the i9210t ? 

or have we been left behind or forgotten about ?

I'm not interested really in anything other than extended battery life,   I'm sick of carrying my charger around, day in, day out.

surely the upgrade path now another carrier has done it, shouldnt require that much more modification aside from adding (un)necessary bloat.

The phone on ICS 4.0.4 is solid for me ..  . it doesnt crash it doesnt do anything untoward .. .  . it just has a really poor  battery life ....  

My wife has the galaxy s4 and the battery life of my s2 is just deplorable in comparison..

"Sick-of-waiiting"  long term Telstra Customer

0 Kudos

Hello I am also a long time telstra customer and would like to know when the galaxy s2 4g will get jelly bean and I would like to know if it will support miracast as I have a smart TV and ics does not support miracast.

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
0 Kudos

Hi bmfg1986,

You can keep updated on Device updates here http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/bd-p/Device_Updates 

Thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Esther. Your link returns this message:

"The core node you are trying to access was not found, it may have been deleted. Please refresh your original page and try the operation again."

Telstra (Retired)
0 Kudos

Have you tried another browser? or are you accessing via a mobile?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm using Chrome
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Works in ie
Telstra (Retired)
0 Kudos

ok cool, otherwise go to http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/ then Mobile & app's & then click on Device updates for latest Device updates from Craig R Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos

Happy Grandma !!

Thank you Telstra for deploying the baseband updates which has allowed me to do some unofficial updates.

If we, waited for Samsung to release an update for this device ,we might be .......well, don`t even go there.

I`m Runnning 10.1 - 20130803 Unofficial i9210T : DreamKernel-GTI9210T-v2.0.4.6CM10.1-20130406030045-CWM :gapps-jb-20130301-signed..
with TW Launcher.
Love it, Bluetooth auto connects, audio streaming in the car has been working flawlessly so far for the last two days. A real first since GB.
Battery life is excellent . No hiccups, no FC`s, brilliant.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

where did you get this version from. I can't see any recent versions from http://android.dream-irc.com, assuming this is the firmware you are talking about

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Esther,

Why are you pointing people to an update page that doesn't list our device? Clearly telstra has no intention of providing a jelly bean update for our handset but no-one has the guts to tell us why.

Other carriers already have an update for this exact device so Samsung have clearly provided one.

I'm very happy with my telstra service on my phone and i tell people that regularly so i don't care if my phone has a telstra boot animation to keep reminding me i'm on telstra.

just give us the update already or someone have the guts to tell us why telstra isn't bothering with us!

Stop ignoring the question or fobbing people off to an update page that doesn't tell us anything!

New Contributor
0 Kudos

For anyone interested, I bit the bullet after finding this website:

http://android.sc/update-samsung-galaxy-s2-lte-i9210-to-official-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-xxuamf1-fi...

And installed the swedish firmware onto my i9210t (Australian Telstra branded S24G)

It works perfectly, it is samsung official firmware, just not the Telstra branded version. Best of all, if Telstra ever release an Official Telstra version, it easy to use the same process to go to it.

I only did it a couple of hours ago, so can't comment on battery life (and it was connected to USB on PC anyway), but other sites are claiming a significant amount of extra battery time.

Quite easy, I didn't factory reset or anything like that, apps seem fine.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I looked at this and it seems pretty straight forward but i would be happier if the "official" firmware didn't come from a dodgy looking file hosting website.

Therefore i wasn't willing to trust it.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought the same thing, so went and downloaded it from samfirmware.com instead. As it turned out samfirmware points to the same site anyway. I double checked and triple checked file names/sizes, etc. All is correct.

I've given up waiting, Telstra aren't even listing this as an expected release, let alone actual dates or anything..

New Contributor
0 Kudos

In that case. i may indeed check it out.

I just wish Telstra would not cause us to have to do this

Support Team
0 Kudos

Hey guys,

Appreciate the concern and you wanting an update on if this will be released from us. I have forwarded the question off to the people in the know and see what we can find out.

I will post an update in this thread when I know more. Thanks for your patience so far.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hey mate.

quick question.

Is your phone rooted or is it straight out of the box from Telstra?

Have you found any issues with current update ?  everything is still working fine ?

Was there any mystical/magical  stuff you needed to do prior to updating? or pretty much follow the instructions as per the website?.

I too am sick of waiting for support for a phone that was sold to me as "current" at the time ... i wish now i had done more indepth research and gone to another handset solution..    i couldn't care less about the branding/bloat.   I'm just interested in fixing the appauling battery life i'm currently experiencing.. I'm lucky to get 4-6 hours from my phone without needing to charge again.. In a business scenario thats borderline unacceptable ..

If your handset is non-rooted. standard out of the box, i will be doing this asap, due to sick of waiting . . if i can remove excess bloat in the process, well thats a bonus i guess.

Cheers ..

V

New Contributor
0 Kudos

The phone is still and has always been non-rooted. It was as it was out of the box with all the current official telstra firmware updates, so 4.0.4 from memory.

The update firmware from that site link, is an official Samsung firmware (i.e. not a custom rom from the likes of XDA or something)

I didn't do anything special, just installed as per instructions. My phone is also a work phone, so was hesitant to update (as I do not own the phone). I will be reverting it to telstra as soon as Telstra release an Aussie version, if ever.

Apps seem fine, I only did it yesterday, so haven't used everything yet, but everything I tried has been as normal. Might be my imagination but it seems a bit quicker too.

I've turned wifi/gps/bluetooth all on permanantly to see what happens with battery life. I'm not a heavy user of my phone so was able to get through a day before anyway (around 8am to 6pm off charger), with wifi and gps only on as needed.

Can't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but the language was Australian English after update by default (likely due to previous setting). So its likely this is the identical firmware that would eventually be released here anyway, apart from telstra logo on boot. I didn't do a factory reset before or after, so I didn't even have to manually put in APN's or anything. All my saved wifi networks were still there etc.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Decided to go ahead and do this today.

really straight forward. but did a reset too as an excuse to clean out some of the rubbish i had on there.

disabled the 4 or 5 apps related to the swedish telco and then downloaded only those i wanted.

used the telstra website to resend the APN data for mms and internet.

all looks good so far

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Just a quick note to be aware of.

This build does not include the navigon australia that the telstra build includes.
While i could download it from the play store for free again, it says my device is no longer compatible. Samsung app says the same.
soooo if you use the app a lot (i don't) then don't do this.
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Awesome!,

I also got sick of waiting and as of 2 hours ago.  i have a gt-i9210T handset running JellyBean firmware.

the process outlned inb the webpage is spot on.

follow it exactly and its a painless fast ordeal.

and the best bit..  aside from a few swedish app icons (that can be removed) theres no branding/bloating.

Cheers for the recommend BruceSamazan - worked a treat.

very happy.

V

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I just checked, and Navigon works fine on mine. As mentioned I didn't factory reset though..

On a side note, I bought a Samsung express from kogan for my wife, It was a non-aussie phone with SFR branding (not sure what country SFR is from?? Anyway, once I set her phone up with Aussie details and Signed in to Samsung App store, it let me download Navigon on that phone. So in theory it should be the same here if you happen to Factory Reset.

I use Navigon semi-regularly (every couple of months or so)

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Strange,

i'll take another look at mine and see whats going on there.

other than the navigon everything is working nicely.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Just had a thought. Don't know if this is the case or not.. But My wifes phone is a i8730 (from memory) anyway, a phone of the same model is available in Australia. Whereas a i9210 is not available in Oz (Which is efectively what the i9210T becomes after firmware update from Sweden)?????? Just guessing.

Anyway, as mentioned, Don't factory reset, and Navigon will work fine.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you're right on that.

My phone now tells me it is the i9210 not the i9210T so factory reset messed me up a bit there.

if i really cared i could restore the telstra ICS build and then do this one again without the reset. but i don't care enough :-)

New Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So what happened to "Appreciate the concern and you wanting an update on if this will be released from us. I have forwarded the question off to the people in the know and see what we can find out. I will post an update in this thread when I know more. Thanks for your patience so far." Has it already been forgotten or is it a case of "keep stalling and hope it goes away"?

Samsung has provided a Jelly bean update for this handset to other carriers so no more excuses telstra.

0 Kudos

Hi magtrev,

Samsung have confirmed that there are no more updates planned for the SGS2 4G.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for letting us know Ben,

Hace to say, i'm pretty disappointed though. I assume Telstra aren't going to push it? after all, if samsung have already provided Jelly bean to other telcos for this handset then the work is already done. it's just a matter of putting in the telstra branding

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Ben_J wrote:
Hi magtrev,

Samsung have confirmed that there are no more updates planned for the SGS2 4G.

I assume you mean, apart from the update they have already made and released.

As mentioned earlier in thread, I am currently running and official Samsung 4.1 firmware (as are a couple of other people) just without Telstra branding. It has some swedish phone company branding istead.

Maybe that should read "Telstra have confirmed that there are no more updates planned ...."

I find it quite ridiculous that the phone this was an upgrade for (according to telstra sales) has more long term support, even though its probably close to 12 mths older????

Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos

No more updates !!!! , oh the shame of it all.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have this phone too.

Try Clean Master from Google Play!

This not only gave me more battery-life, but more space to use.

0 Kudos

herebedragons69 wrote:

If so, when?

If not, why?

herebedragons69 wrote:

If so, when?

If not, why?

herebedragons69 wrote: