CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Can't upgrade Foxtel Set Top Box on Telstra website ER1019 & no phone support during COVID-19

Answered

My elderly parents are in isolation for the long haul. They have an early model Foxtel set top box through Telstra (circa 2000 Olympics). Not only is the operating system very dated they wanted to add on streaming services namely Netflix. The LG TV is an early version of "smart" aka LG Netcast which is very poor and never included streaming services Netflix, Stan etc.

Attempted to make the changes online logged on to Telstra account to request a set top upgrade but My TV Package states:

"This site only supports more recent plans than you are currently on. Unfortunately, this means you’ll be unable to make any changes to your packages using this site.

If you wish to make package changes, please call us on 13 2200 for further assistance. [ER1019]"

And My Set Top Box states:

"Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade your Set Top Box online due to your current package.

Please call us on 13 2200."

Tried calling but priority is of course COVID-19 medical (not complaining just reality). What can we do? Not keen to buy yet another box like Fetch because my parents get so confused with the number of remotes they have already but that might be a last resort.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't upgrade Foxtel Set Top Box on Telstra website ER1019 & no phone support during COVID-1

They're on a very old subscription if that's the case.

If their Foxtel Box is of that vintage, then it will not be capable of getting Netflix and they will need a new iQ box.

The quickest way (which will still be slow) to find out if you can change their an and organise a new iQ4 (and possibly the installation of the satellite dish if they need it) would be to send Telstra a message via either Facebook or Twitter as there are consultants monitoring the social media channels.

Note: for them to be able to get Netflix (or other streaming services) you will probably need to upgrade their internet service, assuming they are on a basic package (or actually have one).

The other option would be a set top box like the Telstra TV, which would allow access to most of the streaming services (including Foxtel Now - which is different to Foxtel - but pretty close).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't upgrade Foxtel Set Top Box on Telstra website ER1019 & no phone support during COVID-1

They're on a very old subscription if that's the case.

If their Foxtel Box is of that vintage, then it will not be capable of getting Netflix and they will need a new iQ box.

The quickest way (which will still be slow) to find out if you can change their an and organise a new iQ4 (and possibly the installation of the satellite dish if they need it) would be to send Telstra a message via either Facebook or Twitter as there are consultants monitoring the social media channels.

Note: for them to be able to get Netflix (or other streaming services) you will probably need to upgrade their internet service, assuming they are on a basic package (or actually have one).

The other option would be a set top box like the Telstra TV, which would allow access to most of the streaming services (including Foxtel Now - which is different to Foxtel - but pretty close).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Many thanks, I will try Facebook. Also I had not even considered the limitations of their data plan -lucky you mentioned that!

Another person suggested maybe getting a second hand IQ4 box and installing it myself but as you say the plan will still need to be updated so best go through Telstra. Will look into the differences of Foxtel and Foxtel Now as well as Telstra TV (just what i need more options) Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit