CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sauchiebairn
Level 2: Rookie

Connect to Cable internet - Foxtel loses signal or pixelates

Answered

Hi all

Ok for a couple of months we have been having severe pixelation and signal loss issues, we've rang Foxtel support and through a long period of trial and error we have found the problem, and now Foxtel tell us it is a Telstra issue, ergo why we are here.

We got cable internet and Foxtel with Telstra using the Gateway Max, with the cabling and splitter supplied, got it all hooked up exactly as per support worked perfectly up until a couple of months ago.

As I said, through trial and error, we discovered the problem occurs if we connect to our cable internet via the Gateway Max modem, and I mean CONNECT, Foxtel is fine when the modem is switched on but only if no one is actually connected. So Foxtel says they will charge to come out to tell us what we already know anyway.

We have also noticed that we have two connections available, one with ‘5G’ at the end of it. I don’t know if this is an issue however my PC and desktop don’t view it as a possible network. Only my phone and tablet does.

HELP! J

I’ve put this under Foxtel and internet labels to cover all the bases

Thanks for your time

Anne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Connect to Cable internet - Foxtel loses signal or pixelates

I would suggest that you disconnect the modem from power and the coaxial cable for at least 15 minutes before reconnecting the modem. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection in a way that a quick restart will not. 

If you have multiple outlets in your home, try connecting the modem to one outlet and your Foxtel to the other so that we can remove the splitter from the equation.

Another thing to try is to replace the coaxial cable between the Foxtel box and the outlet. You could swap the coaxial cable from the modem with the one from Foxtel box to see if this makes any improvement.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It is possible that there is a fault in the network or a fault with the splitter. 

If you remove the Foxtel and the splitter, do you notice an improvement in the speeds/stability of your internet?

If the network needs investigating, this will need to be raised with the company of the service that you are having the fault with. If you are noticing a problem with your Cable service - such as disconnections etc - then you would report that to us on 133 933. If there is no issue with the internet connection and only with the Foxtel, then you would report the fault with them and they will organise a technician to attend. 

The second Wi-Fi network broadcasts on 5 Ghz band (network name- 5G)  and not all devices are capable of communicating with that band. Your computers may only have network cards capable of communicating with the 2.4 Ghz band.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

sauchiebairn

Hi Shelly

I haven't tried disconnecting as the speed is not what I am bothered about. It's being able to utilise foxtel and the internet at the same time as I was able to before. I get my foxtel, home phone and broadband bundle from Telstra so I can't understand why it is suddenly not working properly. Foxtel won't come out because the issue it not their signal it is only when I connect to the internet so they say it is a telstra issue especially as it was working perfectly before. I mentioned the 5G only because I wonder if I need to do anything else to the modem. This is so frustrating, I am on the point of going back to foxtel as they do bundles now as well. thanks anyway
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

I would suggest that you disconnect the modem from power and the coaxial cable for at least 15 minutes before reconnecting the modem. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection in a way that a quick restart will not. 

If you have multiple outlets in your home, try connecting the modem to one outlet and your Foxtel to the other so that we can remove the splitter from the equation.

Another thing to try is to replace the coaxial cable between the Foxtel box and the outlet. You could swap the coaxial cable from the modem with the one from Foxtel box to see if this makes any improvement.

- Shelly

View solution in original post

sauchiebairn

Thanks Shelly

I will give that a go

Also someone queried whether my cable internet was fast enough so looking at Cable speed boost however I don't know if my modem is compatible so will check that out as well. It would be great if that fixes it 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What is the model of your modem? If you have the Netgear C6300 (Telstra Gateway Max), the Netgear CG3100-2 (Telstra Gateway) or the Cisco EPC3925 should be suitable for use with the speed boost.

I don't believe that the speed of your plan has any direct correlation to the quality of your Foxtel signal. 

- Shelly

sauchiebairn

Shelly

I did as you suggested. Disconnected and switched off modem for over 20 minutes as it turned out and now it is working perfectly.....I could kiss you lol I had done it before but for a minute tops.

Just starting an online degree course so I was getting anxious. 

You aced it thanks SO MUCH

Cheers 

Anne

sauchiebairn

Actually I posted my problem in the 'Foxtel' tab as well. Could you copy and paste your solution in there as well. That way I can give you another Kudos lol

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now