CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting IQ to the Internet (Port Issues??)

Hi, I have a Foxtel IQ2 box. I have connected the box directly to my Netgear Modem via an ethernet cable. However, the IQ can't seem to connect to the internet (for the purpose of the Catch Up function). I know that the internet is working. I also know that the problem isn't the ethernet cable (I've tried two of them). Foxtel say everything is ok at their end.

I spoke to Foxtel and they suggested that I call my ISP (Telstra) and ask them to made the following ports available: UDP 3322, TCP 33111 and CDN 80. However, when I called Telstra the staff tried to help but didn't seem to understand what I was asking for and I was passed around 5 different people with no resolution (other than that a level 3 tech support person would call me back). Perhaps I wasn't explaining the problem correctly. 

Has anyone else had this problem? Tech suport haven't called me back so I will call them again this afternoon but I just want to "reality test" that what I am asking for makes sense (because the techies I spoke to didn't seem to understand my request). 

Thanks. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Connecting IQ to the Internet (Port Issues??)

G'day Sherwes and welcome to crowdsupport.

I don't know the model router you have, but if you are correct, then you will have to go into the mamnagement features to configure the modem.

Basically, you are going to have to go to the firewall or  more likely application definition screens on your modem, and open those ports to allow communications through them. If the router doesn't already have a preconfigured port assignment for the IQ box (doubt that it would), then you will need to create a new application.

To be honest, I'm surprised it doesn't support uPnP (Universal Plug and Play)

How confident are you to do this?

Here's what MINE looks like, you will be looking for something similar.

app1.png

You are going to need to go to the configure section on your own modem, and you will see something like this (and you will need to assign ports:

app2.png

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hello I am the same issues and am trying to fix it, how do I change the settings in my modem? Do I need to plug into my comp somehow? Thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Fabp,

As long as your modem and Computer are connected to one another (via Wi-fi or ethernet) it should be able to show your modem page when you go to 10.0.0.138 (if this is a BigPond modem)

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi all and apologies in advance if I'm posting on the wrong board.

Recently my wife and I were connected to the FTTN NBN network and Telstra bundle which included IQ 2 package.

We recieved the IQ2 box yesterday - hooked it up and activated it without a hitch.

Upon noticing the box had an ethernet port a cursory search revealed that the box was capable of connecting to our Gateway Max 2 modem/router  (TG800?) after installing powerline devices which I have ordered but will not be hooking them up until after Chrissy.

However, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps I was being too impulsive in ordering the powerline devices as I'm not sure what the benefits or purpose are of our IQ box being connected to the internet.

If its main purpose is to provide more higher resolution content and content generally then I consider this would be surplus to our needs as we have more content sources via Kodi. Chromecast and Firestick than we could possibly consume.

Appreciate a reply with the promise of a Kudo for an appropriate explanation.

Happy Christmas/Holidays to all.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Hey @tonygad1,

LOL, I hear you about the numerous devices. LIke you, I have a bunch of stuff connected to the net.  I wish someone would come up with a single device that could get Amazon, Google, STAN, Foxtel Play etc.

The IQ2, if connected to the internet will be able to do catchup and use Foxtel Play, which I beleive you have probably part of your package?.

I assume if you got the IQ2, you are subscribing to part of a Foxtel Package, and this would be how your Foxtel will be delivered (unless you have a separate foxtel connection/dish?) so you are probably paying for some Foxtel channels.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the Foxtel IQ2 gets its firmware updates via the net. Not sure how much updating it gets, to be honest.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted

Hi Wanglese

Apologies for the late reply - been away with my family in internet desert and just recently returned and re-connected with the world Smiley Happy

You have given me other sources I've yet to explore e.g. STAN and Foxtel Play and will do so in the near future.

We get our Foxtel content via the iQ2 box and satellite dish and will experiment with the powerline devices once they are received although it seems they will not add anything of particular significance unless firmware for the iQ box is updated via an internet connection.

Thanks for your reply

Highlighted

Hi again Wanglese

Connected the powerlines to my IQ 2 Box and Gateway modem consequent upon it gave meaning to your post when you mentioned Foxtel Play & catchup.

Looked into STAN though wasn't overly impressed and will not be subscribing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit