CrowdSupport®
jpallpratt
Level 2: Rookie

Foxtel pixelation and signal loss with Telstra Cable

Ever since having Telstra cable installed I have had occasional (now more frequent) pixelation of my Foxtel picture across all channels sometime leading to total signal loss. As soon as I turn my modem off the picture issues are resolved immediately. Thisproblem has followed me from a rented apartment to my new house so the problem i believe has to be with either the modem or the Foxtel unit which is causing this interference.

I have an old Foxtel IQ2 unit and a post over at DTV Forum about the same thing advised a tech came out and applied a filter which resolved this. I have had a tech out who replaced the isolator on the wall of my house but this hasnt resolved it at all. Over the past week it has been almost impossible to watch Foxtel and have the cable modem on at the same time.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=90559

I have also seen this thread in this forum which I have commented on as well around the same problem. It seems because my Foxtel IQ box is quite old I need this filter?

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Foxtel/Pixelation-and-constant-signal-loss/td-p/186913

Can I call a tech to come out and apply this filter or replace my Foxtel IQ box to see if this resolves the issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Foxtel pixelation and signal loss with Telstra Cable

G'day jpallpratt,

I'd definitely suggest getting touch with Foxtel Faults on 131999 so we can investigate exactly what's happening. 

They're available 7am-11pm AEST Mon-Fri & will be able to arrange replacements if required. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jpallpratt

Thanks ShannonD, I have called Foxtel and have a technician coming out on Thursday... hopefully he can resolve the issue with a filter or a new IQ2 STB.

Support Team
Support Team

G'day jpallpratt,

Glad to hear it! Let us know how you go Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

jpallpratt

Very helpful Foxtel tech arrived today and did a bunch of signal tests. Signal to the cable end was great so he replaced the Foxtel box with a new one and problems are fixed!

BarryD
Level 1: Cadet

Same problem 

Ring tech support and as soon as i say foxtel is playing up they put me thru to foxtel , foxtel tech support say turn off the modem ,is it ok . Yes

Foxtel will charge a fee for a tech to call out considering its ok with modem off .

They advise telstra caused the problem they should fix it .

Numerious calls to telstra and there sending out a new modem as they believe its faulty

My original problem was the ph line internet keeps dropping out so they up graded me to the cable wireless modem which now costs me more per month and it interfers with foxtel (paid service)

jpallpratt

BarryD... The Foxtel tech told me the same thing but i refused to contact Telstra as I knew it was a problem with the Foxtel box which was proven by the tech that attended. They cant refuse to send a tech out they will just say they will charge a $75 fee if no fault is found. If your have picture distortion issues that go away when you turn the Bigpond Netgear Cable modem off then its sounds exactly like my problem!

BarryD

Thanks for the reply jpallpratt

Recieved the new modem and un able to register it call the help line been on hold for 1 hour 

Anyone know the address of the telecomuniction ombudsman

jpallpratt

Hope you can get the modem working then definitely get onto Foxtel!

TIO - http://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

BarryD

Well done Telstra

I have a bundle package with you about 6 months ago the ph line internet started to cut out to the point it didn't work they sent a tech out to fix ,same problem .

Telstra's fix is to up grade me to a cable modem thru foxtel and it will cost $30 per month fixed for 2 years they send out the new modem and now the foxtel plays up thru the IQ box .

After numerous ph calls, telstra say its a foxtel problem ,foxtel say its a telstra problem . 

Telstra decide the modem is faulty and they will send a new one out . SAME PROBLEM .

Foxtel's answer they'll send out a tech but if its not a fox prob i pay $75 call out fee . Why should I pay for you'r inability to provide the service I pay for.

Barry  

Alex Hills,Q 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Barry 

I can see that you posted the same question on our Facebook Telstra and 24x7 pages - I have replied to the Telstra post here https://www.facebook.com/Telstra/posts/10151829468889315

Sam 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Michael1234

Good link.  I've just started having pixelation (no signal loss as yet) and I followed the previous comments and turned the modem off and not problem with the picture.  I have Telstra cable modem (Gateway) and Foxtel cable. 

I've read the threads but if one of you can clarify.  Who is best to call, Telstra about the modem or Foxtel about the set top box?

I can't be turning the modem off everytime I want to watch tv.  This situation is stupid.  We pay good money for both these services.  I just started too after many years of working fine.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Michael 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Michael1234,

Contact BigPond on 133 933 to organise a technician to attend. 

If you have more than three outlets, you may need a signal booster which the technician should install at no extra cost. If you just have the one outlet then it could be that the filter is on the way out. Of course there could also be issues in the cabling as well.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Michael1234

Thanks Shelly, i did have the cabling changed within the last year.  There is only one outlet. So it sounds the next best move is to contact Bigpond and get a tech to come and have a look at it.  I will post the outcome of that visit. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries Michael. Let us know how that step goes, hopefully it gets your service working correctly Smiley Happy

Brodie

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit