Highlighted
Keith4061
Level 1: Cadet

Power surge blows HDMI out iQ2

A couple of weeks ago in one of Brisbane's storms there was a power surge that came through the Foxtel cable (not the power cable) and took out the HDMI out in the IQ2 box, as well as my home theatre and TV.

My questions include can I get a replacement IQ box? Does Telstra have any responsibilities to the other equipment as the surge came through their cable, and not the power cable?

cheers

Keith

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Power surge blows HDMI out iQ2

Hi Keith, I am unsure how you have determined where a power surge has originated from, however you should be able to get a replacement IQ box without too much trouble by contacting our Foxtel Support team.

Regarding the other equipment I am honestly not sure but I expect it would be something that would need to be covered by your insurance.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Keith4061
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Power surge blows HDMI out iQ2

Hi Dan

yep, plan to contact the support as soon as I get the time.

In regards to how I determined that it was a surge through the cable -

1. there's a surge protector on all of the power cables

2. I've tested all the equipment with a known video source, and the only thing that's wrong is the HDMI pathway from the Foxtel box, through the AVR and on to the TV

3. other HDMI sources that weren't on when the surge hit work fine when plugged in to a different HDMI on the TV

4. the things that are "blown" are the HDMI out on the iQ, the cable in and video out on the AVR, and the ARC HDMI port on the TV that was plugged in to the AVR.

Sadly the insurance won't cover half of my replacement costs, but that's my problem, and no fault of Telstra.

cheers

Keith

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now