CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

iQ3 set top box warranty replacement

Hi,

My iq3 set top box has stopped working.  I have diagnosed all possible situations and if I was to guess I would say the HDMI board has died within the iq3 box.  I have seen this kind of thing before in Amp's, DVD players and Projectors.

In essence I turn the set-top box on and with the HDMI plugged in it shows nothing (well actually a little more than nothing, the TV thinks there is something connected however it displays blank, if there is no HDMI cable plugged in then it displays NO HDMI 1 etc)

How do I return this under warranty to have it fixed and replaced with a working unit?  I did try and call Telstra but to find the right department is just ridiculous.  Firstly you search for contact telstra and get in touch with the Telstra Foxtel department and you can find yourself on this page

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/foxtel-from-telstra/contact-foxtel-support

You then click on Contact Foxtel support and then contact us and you get thrown to this page

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/call-us

Which is a generic page with different sub-catagories and no Telstra Foxtel and you can't get in touch.  I don't have foxtel directly with foxtel as its part of my Telstra entertainment bundle and even time I have spoken to Foxtel in the past I couldn't even register with Foxtel and use the Foxtel app because I am with Telstra Foxtel.

Cheers

Jeff

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: iQ3 set top box warranty replacement

This discussion forum is as useless as calling Telstra.

I posted the same thing on Whirlpool and got an instant response.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2730098

Further then when I called Foxtel the technician couldn't even help me. I described my issue and refused to help me, I asked for his manager got put on hold and after waiting just gave up in frustration. I just want to return my set top box to get it fixed to have it working for a product I am paying for monthly
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Normally with this type of issue you would call Foxtel on 131999 as they have the technicians who can diagnose their equipment remotely.

You could also try calling 132200 and saying "Foxtel" at the prompt.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi there @Jeff1234567890

Jupiter has given the correct information in regards to making contact.

May I ask what was discussed when you did call the Foxtel faults team? They should be assisting with a faulty IQ unit.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I described the issues to them and then he said he couldn't help me because I wasn't in front of the set top box right now but I had spent a lot of time diagnosing the problem and I was happy to answer any questions about the fault.

In essence the unit turns on and lights on the front show red and blue depending on the stage of boot up. TV detects something is plugged in on the HDMI port but nothing shows on the screen.  The screen is perfectly black not even no signal.  If you have no HDMI cable connected then when you choose the selected input on the TV it shows 'no signal' I have tried multiple HDMI ports and Multiple TV's.  The set top box unit is dead but he wouldn't listen to me and wouldn't proceed to help me fix it.  He just kept wanting to know what colour the lights where on the front of the box right now and not listening to what I was telling him.

It was almost like he had an on screen tech diagnosis thing that needed to be followed and he couldn't do anything but follow that.  Whatever happened to listening to the customer.

Further if I was to guess based on past experience with fixing electronics I would say a capacitor or component on the HDMI circuitry board has failed.

Thanks

Jeff

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I can't say for sure if the Foxtel tech team is following a script, however It is likely they have a flowchart of functions to run through during a customer query.

I would recommend getting in touch with them when you do have some time to perform this troubleshooting at home. You may arrive at the same conclusion which you have already come to, however things like a replacement or a technician are unlikely to be able to be organised unless this process is followed.

Please keep me in the loop with how this goes in the future.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply but that is the core issue there.

Forcing a customer to do troubleshooting they have already done rather than listening to them is just really really bad service. I have time at work to wait on hold and go through this stuff while I am sitting at my computer working away.. It's not what I want to be doing at 9pm at night after kids are in bed. Are the technicians still even working at that time?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Honestly you do really sound like you know what you are talking about regarding the testing. But they do need to follow their process, as not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are in regards to these kinds of problems. Regrettably these tests are required so that either a replacement or a technician can be deemed needed.

The Foxtel faults team is open until 11pm aest.

- Will

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit